PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a S4

spotman
11-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Have a 07 S4, having problems tuning the bow.
First thing i noticed was that the ata was longer than specs.
Second if i try to line up the string with the cam grooves for a center shot.. it lines up inside the center of the grip.

Does the ata effect accuracy.?
Am i thinking to much of the center shot location.. should i just locate the rest in the center of the grip...?

Any suggestions..

Right now it is tail right on the paper tune.. i have increased poundage with little effect on the arrow. acc 328 with heavy points 27.5 in long. 53 pounds.

i have shot these same shafts at the same poundage and get a bullet hole on a different bow.

????????????

scepterman30x
11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Centershot is not always center of riser even if everything seems to line up perfectly. You may not seem to get the results you always want because you also have other factors afecting center shot like bow hand torque etc. I try to think of it as center of path of least resistence. Basicly if you have your cam lean adjusted corrected and tuning done correctly i.e. tiller, timing etc. you have other what I call preasure points that can affect arrow flight for instance limb preasure at full draw may be different than at rest and also your riser may be slightly pointed in a different dirrection than the direction of your limbs...not necisarrily bent but slightly torqued. There is a lot of presasure exerted on a bow when under tension. One more thing an arrow not properly spined may cause a different reaction than what you may expect even if you get different results on another bow.

spotman
11-15-2008, 09:47 AM
scepterman30x,

do you think the ata effect accuracy or tuning?

Montalaar
11-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Have you checked your brace height? If you ATA is too long your Brace Height will be a bit less of what it is supposed to. Before starting tuning you should get your bow to factory specs.

scepterman30x
11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
scepterman30x,

do you think the ata effect accuracy or tuning?

Not unless it is extremelly longer than factory specs whereby not having enough preload on the limbs and even then it may not effect it much if any.

spotman
11-15-2008, 11:43 PM
the brace height is 7 3/4".. specs call for 8.0

should i be concerned with the specs.

or would this give me the best preformance out of the bow.

scepterman30x
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
What is the A to A?

spotman
11-16-2008, 09:13 PM
a to a is 43 5/16 and the bh is 7.75 this measure was on the rest side of the bow. it is 43 3/8 on the sight side of the bow.

do you think it best to be 43 1/4 or less. would the bow become more efficient with more prestress on the limbs.

scepterman30x
11-17-2008, 06:33 AM
No, your A/A is not to long. However withe one side of your bow being 1/16" longer than the other side it sounds like you may have some cam lean. You did not say what kind of sysem you have (X-system or yoke type system) or what cams you have. Let us know what your whole system consist of and we will go from there...but correct your cam lean and both A/A should be in specs.

spotman
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I have the s4 with furious cams/ m mods and the yoke system
and the limbs are the 5h recurve limbs. tuner rest with the carbon blade, unsure the gauge of blade.. acc 3-28 cut to 27 1/2 with heavy points.
I believe that the poundage is 53 lbs.

scepterman30x
11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Your setup seems to look good. I would make sure you have the bow timed properly and make sure you have your cam lean in check and then go through the tuning process and let us know what your results are. Then we will go from there.