PDA

View Full Version : Help - replacing Thermal V grip

Rockyhud
11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Last fall I bought a Firecat Pro-X from Sportsman's Warehouse that had been a display model and used as a demo. When I bought it I noticed the rubber wrap on the front side was starting to split and looked somewhat weather cracked, like what an old car tire looks like after setting out for years. Otherwise it was in great shape and shoots well.

I called Martin and got a new Thermal V grip sent to my home. The problem is I didn't get any instructions on how to replace it. I have removed the old grip - it was glued on really well. After removing the remnants of the old rubber and cleaning the riser and grip surfaces with rubbing alcohol I tried using some multipurpose glue that said it works with rubber and other materials to attach the new grip in place. I even used a nice flat piece of plywood and spring clamp to hold the grip in place but as soon as I checked to see if it was adhered well the grip just peeled right off.

I checked the tech forum and found the thread for replacing the gray and black Thermal grip to completely wraps around the riser and read where the writer had used a "superglue" to attach the grip. Is this what should be used to replace the Thermal V grip as well? Also, is there any recommended solvent or cleaning agent to use to clean the riser and grip surfaces prior to gluing?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Elk4me
11-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I used superglue to adhear the grip back on.

Rockyhud
11-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. BTW did you use anything, or anything special to clean the riser and/or grip surfaces before gluing?

Elk4me
11-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. BTW did you use anything, or anything special to clean the riser and/or grip surfaces before gluing?
Nope just scrape it the best you can. I also used some electricial tape over the grip and around the riser till the grip set and glu dried!

Rockyhud
11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure superglue would actually bond solid rubber to the painted riser pocket area. I was pleasantly surprised it did.

Elk4me
11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
NP :D Glad I could help that what this site is all about!