PDA

View Full Version : Target bow

flytier17
11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm lookin at a S4 scepter mag for 3-D.

I don't like the furious cams. Too soft of a wall, spongey sloppy feel, and can be a pain to time and tune. Also, not very effecient draw force curve.

Assuming by the time I can afford this bow, Nitrous cams are unavailable even 2ndhand, what do I look for?

How about a S4 Scepter mag with CAT's? #-D shooters, what do tyou think of these cams compared to the Nitrous ones?

Montalaar
11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
You just need to know where you can get NOS-Cams from. I can get them from my pro shop. He still keeps dozens of them. :P

flytier17
11-22-2008, 03:35 PM
How much per cam?

Montalaar
11-22-2008, 03:55 PM
I cannot look it up as their website is offline. I think i payed around 100 for a set of NOS-Cams. Size does not matter.

flytier17
11-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I may just have to order myself a set or 10:D Too bad I have an eucation to save for. I wonder if I can justify it as material for a physics experiment:p

Montalaar
11-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Yes you can! :P

flytier17
11-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks Simon. Now I just have to get it by my teacher...:D

cherryju1ce
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
The Furious cams aren't hard to tune at all. They're no different to tune than any other dual cam system with a yoke. That being said, I also prefer the Nitrous cams, and if you're lucky you can find a set of them on ArcheryTalk, Martin's other website.

C Bailey
11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Right now there is a left handed shadowcat for sale on AT for $200 shipped with elite limbs, a nitrous x-system. and new winners choice strings. Being a lefty, I am having a really hard time resisting buying this setup myself.

Also, there is a guy selling a few right handed S4 risers for $160.

Put the two together plus some new strings and you are still well below the list price for a new S4 off the shelf.

OK, that is somewhat wasteful unless you can offload the shadowcat riser and strings, but it shows that you should be a little creative looking around for some parts to put this bow together.

Good luck.

OK, I just noticed you specified Mag limbs rather than elite limbs, but the general point is to look all around and you may find the parts in a few different spots.

bfisher
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm lookin at a S4 scepter mag for 3-D.

I don't like the furious cams. Too soft of a wall, spongey sloppy feel, and can be a pain to time and tune. Also, not very effecient draw force curve.

Assuming by the time I can afford this bow, Nitrous cams are unavailable even 2ndhand, what do I look for?

How about a S4 Scepter mag with CAT's? #-D shooters, what do tyou think of these cams compared to the Nitrous ones?

You have to use the new reinforced limbs with the CatCam and I believe they are only available in 13" SuperMag limbs. I don't think they'd work too well on an S4.

flytier17
11-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Right now there is a left handed shadowcat for sale on AT for $200 shipped with elite limbs, a nitrous x-system. and new winners choice strings. Being a lefty, I am having a really hard time resisting buying this setup myself.

Also, there is a guy selling a few right handed S4 risers for $160.

Put the two together plus some new strings and you are still well below the list price for a new S4 off the shelf.

OK, that is somewhat wasteful unless you can offload the shadowcat riser and strings, but it shows that you should be a little creative looking around for some parts to put this bow together.

Good luck.

OK, I just noticed you specified Mag limbs rather than elite limbs, but the general point is to look all around and you may find the parts in a few different spots.

Yeah, I will look for parts esp. the riser. I am gonna either look for a raw riser and custom finish it or an 07 Coloradocopper finish. Be a long time before I can afford it, but I can dream.

flytier17
11-25-2008, 08:05 PM
You have to use the new reinforced limbs with the CatCam and I believe they are only available in 13" SuperMag limbs. I don't think they'd work too well on an S4.

Why will the 13" not be great?

I posted ths on AT and LeEarl said it has been done and shoots great too. However, I haven't heard more specifically on that matter, so I guess we will see.

dbd870
11-26-2008, 03:46 AM
I don't like the furious cams. Too soft of a wall, spongey sloppy feel

Finally, someone else feels that way! Martin needs to kill the Furious cams.

flytier17
11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, and bring back the Nitrous...

Montalaar
11-26-2008, 01:24 PM
No, i do not think that we need the Nitrous back.

We need something new. A dual cam with a shoot through system. It should have long range adjustability in 0.5" increasements. :P

flytier17
11-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Maybe... A pure dual though. and a decent cycle... Smooth, but with a firm not rock solid wall. Fast too, but not at the sacrifice of the shoulders.

I still like the nitrous system...

cherryju1ce
11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Why would Martin kill a cam that is designed around their most popular cam ever (Fury cam)? You can shoot the Furious cams anywhere in the valley and if they're tuned properly you'll get the same point of impact.

flytier17
11-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Why would Martin kill a cam that is designed around their most popular cam ever (Fury cam)? You can shoot the Furious cams anywhere in the valley and if they're tuned properly you'll get the same point of impact.

It still has a sloppy wall. And without a draw stop, to shoot "anywhere in the valley" would require superhuman muscle memory.

It is not energy effecient in the speed department. While speed isn't paramont in spots, it will let you shoot a lower poundage and get the same results. And to be perfectly honest, the nitrous cams were speed cams with a draw cycle that would rival the best "smooth Solocams" bows available. IMO. The flat top on the draw cycle helps with the smooth impression too.

And as for most popular cam ever? I wuld have to contest that. Even if you added all the Fury and Furious shooters, I bet the Mpro guys would stack up pretty fast from the popularity of the bengal and cheetah primarily. I don't know for sure, but I have a hard time with that claim there.

And there a pain to tune, at lease to time. I helped a guy time his P3 Elite Furious X. The timing was so terribly responsive. His cams were a good 1/4 out of time at the modules, and 1/2 twist set them the same amount out of time the other way. Wanna know what we had to do to solve it? we timed the cams as best we could, and put 1/2 twist extra in 1 cable on opposing sides of the two limbs. (x system) This timed the cams, but he had a wee bit of lean. You might say why not stick with the closest timing and have no lean, but the guy was fussy on the minor double bump wall, so thats why the timing had to be good. Eventually he bought a set of these spot-hogg loop adjusters, and put everything in order.

I don't know if it is the small cable track or the small stop size, but it is a pain.