PDA

View Full Version : C.A.T. cams

Louisd33
11-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Would these cams be considered soft, medium or hard cams.Easton arrow shaft selector requires cam type. I'm thinking hard cam but I'm new to all this.

bfisher
11-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Yes, they are considered a hard cam for the purpose you want. However I have a FireCat and if you keep the weight within reason (way less than 70#) you can get a decent draw cycle and really decent speed.

Louisd33
11-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info, My set up is maxed out @ around 60 lbs with a 28 dl. I'm torn between the Axis-N-Fused for weight and the Lightspeed for speed. both in the 400 spine. It will be an all purpose arrow, but must quallify as a good choice for hunting. Your opinion?

bfisher
11-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I am a speed freak. I have a 27" draw, sometimes 26.5" depeding on the bow. I shoot a lot of 3D so have bows deicated to the venue. I have shot a lot of arrows over the years including aluminum, carbon, ACC's.

The ACC's are the oldest I have right now which I got about 13 years ago. I've shot several brands and grades of carbons, with the exception of Carbon Express. I have not shot any of Easton's arrows with the HIT system as these are always heavier arrows with an emphasis on hunting. So they don't fit my purpose.

I know everybody has their own choices, and I believe in buying good arrows---thus the ACCs. But for pure carbon I have to draw the line in price somewhere. There are getting to be so many gimmicks, IMO, that it's rediculous. Take the "weight forward" technology for example. What does it do? It adds more weight to the point end of the arrow and improves FOC. Yeah, and so does shooting a heavier head and/or lighter fletching.

A similar situation is arrows that are straight to within .003". You can take a shaft with specs of .005", cut 2" from the nock end, the rest from the point end, and end up with something about .002" or so. You'll never be able to shoot well enough to tell the difference. The only difference you'll see is in the wallet.

There comes a time when you have to ask where the big difference is between ST Epics/Beman ICS for $70/doz. and say N-Fused at what---$130/doz? Gimme a break.

For less money you could shoot Vapor CAA arrows, which is Gold Tips version of an ACC. Fairly similar specs as ACC, but about $105 for arrows at LAS.

A lot depends on how many arrows you bang up in a year or two. I shoot a lot as a rule and a dozen arrows can last me five years or more. I change off every once in a while, but I don't shoot groups anymore for practice. Why bust arrows up just for fun. They cost money. Most hunting shots are passthroughs so arrows are recoverable most times.

Now you asked my opinion and there you have it. Of course the final decision is yours.

flytier17
11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I agree with Barry on the Carbon Hype. Its ridiculous. The only hunting shaft in that price I consider worthit is the FMJ's. They penetrate well, are incredibly indestructable, and becuase of their density, tend to absorb and transfer energy better than a standard carbon. the only Fault I find with these is that the Aluminum sheath acts like an aluminum arrow. It can be bent from impact etc... All you need is a spintester though, and it is a small price to pay for a great hunting arrow. Also, the specs and tolerances are decent too.