PDA

View Full Version : New Bow

bfisher
12-01-2008, 07:37 AM
OK guys. Here's your chance to express your opinions. Build me a bow from Martin. Cost is not a problem but there are certain parameters to follow.
It must be adjustable for draw length and I shoot at about 26.5" to 27" draw, give or take a hair. 55# max as I don't care to make my shoulders any worse than they are. Bow will be used for 3D only. Being a senior I only have to shoot to 35 yards; 11.5 meters for you Europeans. All out speed is not an issue as I can usually guess within 2 yards out to 40 yards. Not too much mass weight as I am limited a bit, so let's say less than 4# mass weight. Prefer as long an A2A as possible, but please consider draw length and cam styles (some are limited). See what you come up with.

flytier17
12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd say a S4 Scepter with 13" reinforced limbs and a CAT cam system. LeEarl has built one, and says its a real shooter, so it can be done. However, The DL might not be short enough, and the Scepter riser might be a bit heavy.

Warthog would be my next choice. CAT cam system. I think a Firecat would be to short, and you allready have one.

Or, a Mystic with 14" Mag. limbs, and a Furious X system.

I would not get an Mpor cam as it is not as tuneable or as fast.

scepterman30x
12-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Since your shoulder has to be considered I would recommend an S4 mag (14" limbs) with 65% Z cams. I would be smooth with good speed.

cherryju1ce
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I would say avoid the CAT cams if you have a bad shoulder. The nitrous cams would make a much better option, in both a little smoother draw, not to mention much easier to tune. I take it you only want a bow that is currently offered? If this is the case, I would recommend the S4 Magnum, and see if you can get your hands on a set of B cams or C cams with mini modules. I've shot both setups and they're awesome!

bfisher
12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Guys, I guess I should have left the info about my shoulder on the shelf. I don't have pain or anything. Last year I had a case of Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis along with a herniated disc in my neck. The end result was that in a month I lost enough muscle in my left deltoid, shoulder, and back that I went from shooting 60# comfortably to struggling with a Genisis set at 15#. I had the necessary neck surgery and things have improved. It took me about a year to be able to hold up about 5# and draw 45#.

So as it stands there is slow, but steady progress with building back the strength. That's the only issue with the shoulder. Sorry if I led anybody astray.

As for the Cat cams? That's what 'm shooting now. I do handle that fairly well up to 50#, but 45-47# is better right now.

I've got some feelers out right now and am looking at maybe a Mystic magnum (a miniature S4). I'm not sure about the cams yet though. I know the Furious would be OK, but I'm really curious about how the draw length range would be with either the Cat or M2Pro. Gotta be able to get the draw down to 26". And what about the brace height?

Frankly, this sounds like a real intriguing idea. It would almost certainly be a one of a kind bow.

Cherryjuice, I am familar with the Nitrous cams. Ihave two bows sitting here right now. A P3 Elite with A nitrous X and a custom built ShadowCat with B nitrous X and mini-mods. These might be available for parts later or I just might sell them. Not sure yet.

But yes, I'm getting an '09 and just trying to figure something out for my draw length (26.5-27) with a little longer ATA. And as long as I'm going that far I figure maybe less reflex in the riser design. For now just tossing ideas around.

Probably, knowing me, I'll just end up with a MOAB with a black riser and camo limbs. Who knows? I mean, I have the P3 (target) and the FireCat (speed).

flytier17
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
If they are up for parts, i will take the Nitrous A cams, mabye the B's too, and possibly the P3 riser.

bfisher
12-02-2008, 08:23 PM
If they are up for parts, i will take the Nitrous A cams, mabye the B's too, and possibly the P3 riser.

See how bad I am with words? I meant parts for me to play with. Sorry if you were getting all excited Alec. Slaivating and all that stuff. Have you no shame?

flytier17
12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey, I also thought you said that there is nothing you own that doesn't have a price attached. :D

Probably best anyways, I have an education to save for.

flytier17
12-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Heres what I think you should delegate as roles for your bows. Just what I would do, as I have none of these, but it makes sense to me.

P3 Elite NOS X: Spots
NEW '09 Warthog Mag. C.A.T.: 3-D
Firecat Mag. C.A.T.: Hunting

The Warthog is a more ideal 3-D bow than the firecat with the longer A2A. The Fireca is a better hunting bow bcause of the shorter A2A. And, this gives you the chance to shoot with a snazzy colour on the Warthog. May I suggest custom work? Like the example of the custom S4 in the catalog. At the very least get the black, not the blue.

bfisher
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey, I also thought you said that there is nothing you own that doesn't have a price attached. :D

Probably best anyways, I have an education to save for.

True to a point. Make me an offer i can't refuse. Oh yeah, I forgot. The education thing. That and the couple S4's you're supposedly getting. LOL. Sometimes I think you're so full of it, Alec. You're young and impetuous. You want it all. Relax young lad. Get your edgamacation.

dbd870
12-04-2008, 03:26 AM
The Warthog is a more ideal 3-D bow than the firecat with the longer A2A.

Great minds :eek: ; that's the first thing I thought when I saw it!

flytier17
12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
True to a point. Make me an offer i can't refuse. Oh yeah, I forgot. The education thing. That and the couple S4's you're supposedly getting. LOL. Sometimes I think you're so full of it, Alec. You're young and impetuous. You want it all. Relax young lad. Get your edgamacation.

S2's, and I'm getting them Friday.

And, All I want is a spots bow, a 3-D bow, and a hunting bow.

Spots: Scepter II with Fury cams in Platinum, 45-60lbs, 29", with a Toxonics Naildriver sight and a Viper scope, Spot-Hogg Platinum rest, Doinker Carbon Elite 31.5" stabilizer, and Easton X7 Eclipses 2712 full length with 300gr. tips and feathers and wraps, all chrome accessories

3-D: Cougar III Mag. Nitrous X in ProCat Red, 50-65lbs, 29.5", with a Spot-Hogg Hogg-It 7 pin 0.010" 8" bar, Spot-Hogg Platinum rest, Doinker Carbon Elite 11.5" stabilizer, and Carbon Express CXL-SS 250 shafts 28" long with 80gr. tips and Aerovanes and wraps, all gloss black accessories

Hunting: Slayer Nitrous X in Realtree APG, 50-65lbs, 29.5", with a Spot-Hogg Hunter Hogg-It 5 pin 0.019", Spot-hogg Whammy rest, Doinker Carbon Elite 11.5" stabilizer, Martin Fast 4 2pc. quiver, and Easton Axis FMJ 300 shafts 30" long with 125gr. points and Aerovanes and wraps and Slick Trick 125's and Silver Flame 125's, all matte black and camo accessories

I'm hoping to upgrade the 3-D sight to another Toxonics Naildriver in gloss black with a Viper scope, and the Hogg-It would be my hunting sight, and I would save the hunter hogg-it for a blind/backup bow. Maybe a Firehawk? Need something as short and light as possible for ground hunting and backpack trips. It would shoot Superslam 2312's and have a 7" Doinker Carbon Elite stabilizer and a Kwikee Kwiver Kwik-3.

I would also like to get the Slayer finished in Mossy Oak Breakup by Bowtechs Waterdog facilities with the InVelvet finish. Even the cams, and accessories. I would also like to get the grips on all bows upgraded to Bob Lambeth grips, and get BeenFar doublewide slings for all bows to match the bows finish, but thats purely cosmetic, and low on my priority list.

Eventually, I'll retire the Scepter II when I can afford to, and I'll get a Scepter IV, or even a Scepter V if it ever exists. The Scepter II's will be wallhangers.

As for the spare Scepter II, when I can afford to, I am going to rig it for field. Field is a great practice for 3-D for me. When I choot 3-D, its serious, so I practice for a 3-D shoot with a field round. I get to shoot more in a day, and it forces me into variable conditions (outdoor shooting), and uneven footing.