PDA

View Full Version : My Martin Slayer---did

elkslayer4x5
12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Slay that is. 34 yds, slightly down hill, across the creek. Love the sound of Muzzy meeting buck chest ! Buck just stood there, staring at me, finally after what seemed like a minute, but my son says it was only about 15 seconds, he takes 2 steps, and shakes his off ( meaning the leg away from me ) fore leg, and stops. After a few seconds , he moves away, slowly, shaking that right fore leg evey other step,stops, starts again, stops. Meanwhile I'm semi frozen in place, bow in my left hand, I've got my binos in my right, trying to see some blood. The buck has now gotten into some heavier brush and all I can see is his head, between swiching back and forth with the binos, I think I see him go down. I shed all excess gear, grab my pack from the pile, grab my bow and down the creek bank, to a narural rock dam that I can cross over. That get me most of the way across, now I got to shinny up a downed alder that provides a bridge for me. I get to the place I think the buck was standing, and with my son's help, get the spot marked, Yep, here's tracks, and the buckbruck freshly striped ( that he was eating ) and heres my arrow, covered with blood !!!, I follow to where the buck stoped the first time and find some blood, and at each place he stoped I find more and more blood. So its off thru the buckbruck and blowdown tag alders, now seeing large splashes of blood, looks like about a 1/2 cup at each place he stoped. About 40 yds from where I hit him, there's a big pool of blood, right along side of a blown down alder root wad,. I take another step and find my first Oregon blacktail buck.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/08%20Mulie%20Hunt/DSCN0001-1.jpg
Nose buried up to his eyes. Took that photo and then start the drag back. By the time we where done with photos, hugs, and high fives, the real work began. Took us almost two hours to drag him back across the river ( seems that it grew while I was posing ) and then field dress him. We did'nt want to drag a field dressed deer thru the water. Here he is just before we drug him across the creek. Yep, that ole timer there is me, a year after shoulder surgery, finally able to shoot a bow again.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/08%20Mulie%20Hunt/DSCN0982.jpg
And yeah, I was too excited to remember to put my bow in the photo ! First bow buck in 25 years.
Not the biggest blacktail, but a good forkie, and a real scraper. Had a punctuer wound just above his right rear knee, a deep tine hole right side of his neck , a small hole above his right eye and a deep cut/ tear under his left ear. He was big for a blacktail, after hanging 2 days, we weighed 104 of freezer ready venison. I figure 140 ish what with fins, feathers, guts and all!Should have seen the grandchildren faces light up when we got home !! So we took more pic, and here's my favorite of that bunch, look like the grandboy is thinking,' when I get a hunting bow' Well don't tell, its hiding out in garage right now , waiting till Dec 25 !!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/08%20Mulie%20Hunt/023_23.jpg
Finally got the bow into a photo, you can see the entrance hole in the front of the buck's chest, left a golf ball sized hole thru the lungs.

elkslayer4x5
12-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I've been asked if I have any trouble with the slider sight I favor. Nope, not a bit, in fact I think that it helps calm me down, have that detail to attend to, kept my eyes off his horns, worked into position, estimated the range, had a ranger finder, just did'nt use it, figured him at 35 yds, my son tells me after that it was 34, set the sight, drew, settled the pin on that off shoulder and stroked the release trigger.

vision archery
12-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Great job Slayer, glad you are able to bow hunt after the shoulder trouble.

GuitarCrazyo
11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Re-watching The Family Ewing/Rock Bottom gave me a question for him. What did he think about his second major stint on the show being turned into nothing more than a dream?

JohnnyThunder
11-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Nice Buck, Congratulations.

I've been hunting a huge 10pt white-tail since spring, and bow hunting him since 10/15. While I've seen him a few times when out with the bow, and been in rifle range, I can't quite figure out how to get close enough to take him with a bow.

Your picture makes me sad because I really want to get a deer with bow and arrow this year, and I thought this deer would be it but muzzleloading season starts next Weds., if I don't get him on Sat. or Sun. I probably won't get a buck with a bow till next year at least because I'm going to take him with my muzzleloader if he's still walking on Weds. This buck was my best chance at getting a buck with a bow, I have about one week of muzzleloading season to take him before regular rifle season starts and I'm afraid if I let him last till rifle season someone else is going to get him or he's going to get wise to me hunting him and disappear.

Your pic reminds me that my time is running out.

Oh well congratulations anyway, keep shootin 'em. I hope I can join you and post a pic of my own soon.

john100
06-18-2010, 04:59 AM
I have no experience with the Martin recurves and can't say which one is better, but can say that the draw lenght isn't a problem when taking a recurve bow. If he'll use it only for target shooting don't buy a heavy bow - if your husband is an experienced archer he can handle the higher poundage, but i guess there's no need for more then.

Spiker
06-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Congratulations Slayer !!!!

GrahameD
08-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Wow that is great Slayer, Very cool to check out those lovely pics too. I feel to have such one dude. :)

edwin111
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice post.

Matthewop
10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
How you can hunter this big stuff!! You are so smart...

moncler321
10-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Moncler (http://www.discountmonclerstore.com/)
Moncler Jackets (http://www.discountmonclerstore.com/)
Moncler Coats (http://www.discountmonclerstore.com/)
Moncler Vest (http://www.discountmonclerstore.com/)
Moncler Outlet (http://www.discountmonclerstore.com/)

FireHawk Owner
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Great buck Slayer. Good Story. Congrades.:)

ElkSlayer
10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
that was an awsome hunt :D Lets do it again this year..only its MY turn..
you can sit stand with rhino an fill his Elk tag while I try and stick a cow and cagey ole buck.. perhaps the one that whooped on yours..see ya in Nov :D

elkslayer4x5
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Ok, it's your turn, And you bet I'll get the Rhino on a nice first elk! We'll even let you shoot first, but which bow are going to use, the Jennings or my old recurve? :D

ElkSlayer
10-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I only have two hands...so I hope to bring both to camp an take a few eveing walks with The Darton.. dont forget that martin super quiver.. I think me an the ole gal are getting along just fine...2nd pic I was standing at that angle;)

elkslayer4x5
10-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Well. I'll remember to bring the Martin Super quiver, but will most likely have to leave it in the back of my Ranger if you fill it full. Don't know if a guy could lift a bow with that monster on it. Oh and by the way, could you resize before you post a billboard? :D

ElkSlayer
10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
my bad.:o..but hey you can sure see the detail huh.;)... no worries dont plan on filling that quiver up just the 4 w/ 1 a blunt...will strap it to pack or hand carry to stand/ blind..... what no comit on my groups..

Spiker
10-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Ya'all sound like my huntin camp...:D

elkslayer4x5
10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah, we're a hoot! This year ElkSlayer, my son and I will be joined by Elkslayer9x8, my grandson for his first elk hunt. So far this year, he has'nt connected, but almost all of his hunting has been on week-ends ( school gets in the way ) so far. This last quarter's report card was excellent, and the teachers told him to keep a diary for the camp, and he will be excused for the elk hunt. Gotta love Oregon! :D
Oh sorry, pretty good group there Kid! Darn! Nice looking bow, always loved that way that old Fury shot, can't wait to get my hands back on her, and yes already stashed my tab in my pack.

Spiker
10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I love Oregon too. Lived there about a year and a half back in the late 70"s.
Went on vacation there this spring and it's on my families list of places we may move to in the coming year.
Love the Willamette valley - would be great to get a little farm there - but -
kinda close to the political bs...

ElkSlayer
10-27-2010, 03:06 PM
hey now you know how I hate trashin arrows...every shot was well placed .. ajusted sights an everything...:rolleyes:
spiker dont let the political bs keep you away...plenty O small towns thruout the valley..;)

elkslayer4x5
10-28-2010, 06:26 AM
I love Oregon too..... and it's on my families list of places we may move to in the coming year.
Love the Willamette valley - .

Not quite the elk herd that Colorado has, I think Oregon is 5-6th largest elk herd, approx, 125,000 strong, Don't know if you archery hunted while you lived in Oregon, but if you choose the archery deer tag You get you get to hunt the last week of Aug to end of Sept, And Nov and part of Dec. Elkslayer can fill you in, since he forgot to sent Pop a copy of this years regs. :(
Spiker, one more post to reach 600, Thats a lot of help, if no one else did, I thank you for all of you assistence, keep it up, buddy !!