PDA

View Full Version : 08 Slayer x questions

bowhunter96
12-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi ,
I'm new here , but have been in archery seriously again since 96 .

Anyway I'm thinking of buying an 08 Slayer X used . Are there any problems people have had with them ?

My last Martin was a C3 with nitrous cams . I also was wondering about the draw curve and let off on the CAT cams ? I'm used to Fury and Nitrous cams . Are they worse or better ?

Thanks ,
Dave

flytier17
12-04-2008, 03:18 PM
08 Slayer was a great bow. Go for it if you like the way it shoots.

As for which cam is better; subjective. I like the Nitrous system best. CAT's I have limited experience with.

BTW, I am getting a C3 Mag NOS X in a week or so...

flytier17
12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Cam preference is largely dictated by purpose and feel.

The furious cams are a great spots cam. I don't care for the elongated valley myself, but they are a smooth cam.

The Nitrous cams are a speed cam, with a very gentle draw. Smooth rollover is the key. They are actually a hard draw, but with the smooth ramp up and the long rollover and no balley, they feel like butter.

The CAT's are pure speed. Harsh draw, tons of fps. You can shoot this cam 5-10lbs lower than a Nitrous or Furious, and get the same fps. Easier on your shoulder.

Montalaar
12-04-2008, 03:39 PM
If the Slayer you want to buy has C.A.T.-Cams on it make sure that you get the bow with the additional pre-installed washers under the limbs as it will reduce the chance of getting a limb failure.

bowhunter96
12-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies . I haven't heard of many Martin limb failures , but thanks for that info . I did break several older Martin bows , a Pride and an older Bengal with Fury cams . Back in the late 90s I owned a lot of Martins . They had the original Speed bows with the Fury . :eek: :D .

That Slayer X I'm thinking on is an 08 for $375 . That seems like a good price . What did they sell for new ?
Thanks Dave :)

flytier17
12-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Thats a steal if its in good condition. Most sell for 749-799 new.