PDA

View Full Version : S4 or Mystic-Excessive noise for hunting?

bob ski
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi Guys,
Finger shooter (new member) will be going for an S4 or Mystic to be used primarily for hunting. I am presently a recurve shooter that will need to extend his range on an elk hunt next year. My draw is 27" so I'll probably go with the Mystic. I have one reservation...NOISE. I understand that the S4 & Mystic are a bit noisy and was wondering:
1) Is that true ???
2) If so, what could be done to quiet the shot.
3) Have any of you guys any experience using either bow for hunting.
Thanks,
Bob

Montalaar
12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
1) Is that true ???
2) If so, what could be done to quiet the shot.
3) Have any of you guys any experience using either bow for hunting.

1 -> Noise is not that important. You can also hunt with bows from 1970 which are maybe really loud. You will have no advantage.

2 -> You can install limbsaver, string dampener and so on. Correct Cam timing will be helpful. But as i stated above i do not see why there should be a problem. In my eyes this is not as important as other facts like tuneability.

3 -> Me not.

flytier17
12-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Well,

#1 The S4 may be a bit noisier bcause of the target design and the recurved limbs. Not very much though. The MOAB is one of the quietest bows available from anybody.

#2 Limbsavers, Split Limbsavers in the forks, Limbsaver cut up and stuck on sight, limb pockets, and quiver, STS, Bow-Jax in the string, and tighten every screw and lubricate where applicable.

#3 No, never owned either.

#4 For a fingershooter, any Axel-2-Axel under 38" is onna make your fingers pinch the arrow bcause of the acute angle of the string. I'd go with the S4 or Mystic. The Mystic will also be a bit faster, so with your draw length, it might be a good thing.

alex
12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm also a finger shooter, altough not a hunter and i think there's no reason to buy such a great target bow and use it for hunting only.You can buy a cheaper hunting bow and shoot it with fingers if you don't want a release - it's not such a problem if the A2A is shorter than 38"- i shoot my MOAB with bare fingers and it's okay.(Well, i'll get a release as soon as the guys in our only shop decide to import, but this isn't so important ;) )