PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting Cam inserts

Unregistered
12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I have an older Martin Firecat M44 I bought used and love it. Except, the draw legnth is too long for me . I downloaded a PDF of the owners manual and it says I need Inserts for the cams right now there is a number 5 Where do i order these? and should I go higher or lower?
It needs about 2 to 3 inches shorter. All the shops around me say they cant help me, usually with an attitude like since its older its junk and not worth theyre time. I think the cam is a quick change energy cam it does not look like the other cam in the picture in the manual. Any help would be appreciated I am New to compound bows and this is one of three I have but my favorite. thanks

C

bfisher
12-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Sounds like you don't know what cam is on the bow. Can you post a picture? Need to know what cam is on the bow so we could possibly recommend a different module. A module is what you'll need, too. You have a number 5 on it now. Not always, but usually modules are numbered with shorter draw having a lower number. So in your case it would be a #2 or #3 module. But without knowing what cam we can't say which module.

Just a little info about the shops. And not meant to bash you, but so many people buy bows that are way too long on the draw. Really, it's true for about 80% of the people shooting today. It's not always the fault of individuals either. A lot of the bame falls with the shops themselves for not selling the right fitting equipment in the first place.

So in this respect you are not an isolated case.

new shooter
12-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Ok here is a picture of the bottom cam. Which type is this?

Thanks

bfisher
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
OK. Very good picture. I'm not familar enough with older Martins to know what cam it is, but I'm sure one of the other guys here can help.

No doubt that is a #5 module. Two setscrew that are right out in the open so you can change them yourself. I assume also that it is a dual cam, right?

new shooter
12-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Yes it is a dual cam Bow is awesome, at middle set weight i can barely pull it back I have a smaller hoyt that has a 50# max and thats not even close to this at half ! I have been shooting targets in the yard and it definately has penetrating power at about 30 yards it shoots completely thru a pumpkin, a double trash bag full of wet grass clippings, and a haybale and sticks in the ground at least 6 inches. (had to get creative with a target hard to find spare money with kids!) The Hoyt will only stick into one of the three! Thanks for your response and listening to me ramble like a kid with a new toy..... well guess thats a good similarity... lol

C

bfisher
12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
A day later and I see something that should have jumped out at me when I saw your pics. Take a good look at it so you see what I am going to tell you.

Do you see where the string attaches to the cable with the teardrop? OK, se where it's hitting itself right at the point where the cable leaves the cam? This is not good. How do you correct it? YOu need to put a shorter string on or twist up the one you have..

I would suggest replacing the present string with a new one. Being as this is an older bow you should get a string made of Dacron or B50. Fastflight material is not made for yor bow. So how short of a string? At least 1/2" shorter than your old one. Maybe about 3/4" would be better. It will rotate yourcams so that the cables don't hit. It will shorten the draw bay that amount, and it will drop the peak weight some--probably about 5-7#.

The bow should shoot with a little less vibration and less noise, too. Maybe you'll even percieve a smoother draw too.

new shooter
12-07-2008, 04:20 PM
thanks I never even noticed that ordered a new string still need to figure out the rype of cams though, so i can try to order new inserts also(if I can find them)

C

slinger
12-07-2008, 04:39 PM
From the looks of the picture I think they are called spped flight cams. I have a old Lynx magnum bow that has cams that look the same. Im not positive on that, but thats the closest thing that I can come up with, Hope this helps out.

scepterman30x
12-08-2008, 07:28 AM
I would say he could shorten the string by maybe 2" by the looks of it...that cam is way over rotated. He may not need a module.

new shooter
12-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Ok so martin discontinued these cams and parts and no longer are available to buy. I ordered a new string , shorter by little over an inch guess the string streched it measured about 37 and a quarter loop to loop ordered a 36 hope that will do the trick. Does anyone By any chance have any of these old modules laying around?? If so please contact me i will gladly purchase them.
Thanks,
C