PDA

View Full Version : rookie dad needs info,help

Unregistered
12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I have just bought a used lynx bow for my son.It is in very good shape.Being he is just starting out and I didnt want to spend alot off money on the first one.Anyway,He is 13 now,The man I bought it from said it was a 55#which he should be able to pull.I pulled it and it feels like 65 or 70 to me.It has no tag on it,are these bows made to be adj?Or I should say what are my options?I am really green in the bow dept.I used a old Bear for years,but I dont really know that much about bows.Any help would be nice.Or should I sell it and find one that is more his speed?Thanks for any help you can give

vision archery
12-05-2008, 11:53 AM
It may be a 55# most martin bows have a 15# adjustment, which could make the bow a 70# max. If the bow is cranked all the way up you can back the poundage off. Martin does not recommend shooting their bow with the limbs backed off more than 5 turns. The draw length is another question, do you know your sons draw length? If the draw length is not right it will be hard for him to learn perfect shooting form. You can find his draw length by measuring his span from finger tip to finger tip, subtract 15 and devide it by 2. This will give you his draw length. Good luck.

alex
12-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Selling it and buying other bow is a good idea, i think. 55# is too much for a 13 years old boy-even if he is strong enough pulling often such weight is bad for his bones and spine.I don't know does the Martin Archery offer youth bow, but if you buy a 60# Cheetah you can turn it to 45# and it's not expensive.