PDA

View Full Version : OK Guys & Girls...

Coop
12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
My 1st post... What bow do you suggest?(Martin, of course!)
Must be for finger shooter, hunting only, left hand, camo color, 31.5 draw, 70#, no peep(just sights), dual cam. Any other info you need let me know...Thanks a bunch!

bfisher
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
You can check Martin's home website, but with the parameters you've set you are limited to two production bows. The Mystic and the S4, both with Furious cams.

alex
12-08-2008, 05:07 AM
I would add also "Warthog" - 35" A2A lenght is enough for fingershooting (not very comfortable may be, 38-40" is better but nowadays the fingershooters are a kind of discriminated ;) ).

dbd870
12-08-2008, 06:07 AM
He wants dual cams so the Warthog is out unless Martin will do a custom for him.

Elk4me
12-08-2008, 06:12 AM
He wants dual cams so the Warthog is out unless Martin will do a custom for him.
I think your mistaken dbd870 the warthog id a CAT Cam Dual cam bow!

http://www.martinarchery.com/warthog.php

scepterman30x
12-08-2008, 07:16 AM
It is not a true dual cam in the normal sense.

alex
12-08-2008, 08:10 AM
OK, as far as i know the dual cams purpose is the shot to be "smoking" fast and this is the reason people want them.Well, the Warthog is the fastest Martin bow now, so dual or not exactly dual cams ...who cares? :D

flytier17
12-08-2008, 09:03 AM
There are many reasons a dual can be preferred.

#1, not all duals are speed cams. Look at the fury's...
#2, Nock travel can be perfect on a dual, and easily tuned for. Not so much with a solo, and to a lesser degree; a hybrid.
#3, a dual is one of the most tuneable cam styles. A good one will stay in time too with the right cables.
#4, dual cams are or can be DL adjustable without affecting nock travel. Most solos and hybrids have to have individual cams for differing dl's. (look at mathews)
#5, a dual is more energy efficient. Less energy is wasted in friction of the Idler wheel, and 2 cams split the work load, giving an even distribution of the energy imparted to the string. When everything at the top and bottom of the string is equal in terms of energy and friction, it is like an equation. As long as you treat one half the same as the other, everything should balance. Tillers are the same. The same # of silencers and Speed balls have the same effect on speed, etc... Not so with a solo.

bfisher
12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Sorry guys, but I have to disagree with a couple here. With a 31.5" draw the 35" WartHog is not going to make a very good finger bow. Gees, I wouldn't even consider it with my 26.5" draw, which would be about 27.5" with fingers.

And you guys can be free to disagree with me, but for fingers I don't think I'd want to shoot a parallel limbed bow either.

Coop
12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm thinking about buying the S4...
Being that I will not be able to try the bow out 1st...than buying it(the shop here has none in stock), makes me think this is the bow for me. I'm more concern about finger pinch than anything else.. Does the Furious dual cams have adjustments in draw length? Also, does it come with camo riser & limbs?

Again, Thanks

bfisher
12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes to both questions. You can get it in camo and it is draw length adjustable with a rotating module. I suggest you log onto www.martinarchery and click on tech info. This way you'll get a look at what size cam to order for your draw length.

The largeer cam will make the bow a tad smoother to draw and should you desire later you can go up or down in draw length range by just ordering a different size module. As you can see by the chart each module allowsfor a couple inches of draw length range.

Looks to me like you'll want the large cam with medium module. This would give you a little leeway up or down with the draw length. Something else you might want to consider is ordering it with a factroy installed STS. In case you don't know what the STS does it prevents string overtravel at the shot and reduces string vibration so makes the bow a little more quiet while preventing the string from slapping your arm. It's not a necessary item, but a worthwhile one IMO.

alex
12-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Bfisher, when you write your comments i only take notes ;) .I shoot my MOAB with fingers and its not difficult, especially when i've reduced the DW from 60 to 50# :D The reason is not that i'm a keen fingershooter, but that i can't buy a release right now...Coop, good luck and have a nice time with your new bow!

bfisher
12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Bfisher, when you write your comments i only take notes ;) .I shoot my MOAB with fingers and its not difficult, especially when i've reduced the DW from 60 to 50# :D The reason is not that i'm a keen fingershooter, but that i can't buy a release right now...Coop, good luck and have a nice time with your new bow!

Alex, taking notes is just fine. I am not sure whether you are disputing what I said or not about the WartHog. I do now have an understanding that you are only shooting fingers temporarily, right. And please never take my comments as gospel. I have extensive knowledge of archery in general based on many years of shooting. That sure does not mean that I know everything or have shot everything. In fact, I still learn all the time from younger shooters. You could certainly be one of them. So keep on posting young man.

Another comment for Coop. If you haven't done so yet or don't know about it there is actually a forum on AT for finger shooters. I'm certain you could pick up a lot of knowledge over there.

In Coop's case it different. He is looking for a dedicated finger shooter's bow and these are much better with a longer ATA. This is especailly true when daw lengths get longer, too.

Coop
12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Alex, taking notes is just fine. I am not sure whether you are disputing what I said or not about the WartHog. I do now have an understanding that you are only shooting fingers temporarily, right. And please never take my comments as gospel. I have extensive knowledge of archery in general based on many years of shooting. That sure does not mean that I know everything or have shot everything. In fact, I still learn all the time from younger shooters. You could certainly be one of them. So keep on posting young man.

Another comment for Coop. If you haven't done so yet or don't know about it there is actually a forum on AT for finger shooters. I'm certain you could pick up a lot of knowledge over there.

In Coop's case it different. He is looking for a dedicated finger shooter's bow and these are much better with a longer ATA. This is especailly true when daw lengths get longer, too.

I appreciate all the input that you have given me(and others).
Take Care, Coop

dbd870
12-09-2008, 01:23 AM
It is not a true dual cam in the normal sense.

Yep, Hybrids and duals are not the same thing.

alex
12-09-2008, 03:33 AM
:) I'm not disputing, bfisher, i'm educating myself in archery and asking questions.I don't take anybody's words as gospel, but respect the opinion of much more experienced archers.As for the fingershooting- i think that we must try to shoot every bow at least once with fingers, because we can't know what can happen and in what situation we may be.(I hope you understand me- i haven't practiced my english after finishing the highschool a decade ago and my grammar is quite "rusted" :D .)

bfisher
12-09-2008, 07:37 AM
:) I'm not disputing, bfisher, i'm educating myself in archery and asking questions.I don't take anybody's words as gospel, but respect the opinion of much more experienced archers.As for the fingershooting- i think that we must try to shoot every bow at least once with fingers, because we can't know what can happen and in what situation we may be.(I hope you understand me- i haven't practiced my english after finishing the highschool a decade ago and my grammar is quite "rusted" :D .)

I'll tell youlike I tell Simon, who is from Germany. Your English has been quite fine so far. I understand you very well.

alex
12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
:) Thanks!