PDA

View Full Version : limb crack on my new 08 cheetah

fantarain
12-15-2008, 02:59 PM
I bought a 08 martin cheetah couple of months ago but never have a chance to shoot it. Yesterday, I went to the archery range and took several shoots for the first time. I really like the bow. It felt very good in my hand. But when I came back I noticed on the lower limb, there was a small crack line on the surface of the limb. It went across the limb horizontally and only on one side of the limb. I don't know how deep it is, only on the paint or deep into the limb. I don't think couple of shoots will make the crack. So do I get a defected limb? Is it a serious problem on the limb? How can I tell? Could anyone give me some suggestion on how to check there is no problem on the limb material? If just the paint, I can leave with that. But if the limb cracks, I don't want it break on my face some day. Thanks very much! Any suggestion will be helpful!

Elk4me
12-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I bought a 08 martin cheetah couple of months ago but never have a chance to shoot it. Yesterday, I went to the archery range and took several shoots for the first time. I really like the bow. It felt very good in my hand. But when I came back I noticed on the lower limb, there was a small crack line on the surface of the limb. It went across the limb horizontally and only on one side of the limb. I don't know how deep it is, only on the paint or deep into the limb. I don't think couple of shoots will make the crack. So do I get a defected limb? Is it a serious problem on the limb? How can I tell? Could anyone give me some suggestion on how to check there is no problem on the limb material? If just the paint, I can leave with that. But if the limb cracks, I don't want it break on my face some day. Thanks very much! Any suggestion will be helpful!

Please take some picitures of the crack and post them here ! Ever Mfg has limb problems, Martin is Top Notch in Customer Service. The limbs will be under Warrenty so they will be replaced. Let us see some of the pics to determine if it is a crack or a flaw in the finnish!

fantarain
12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for your fast reply. I will try to post the picture of it tonight, so you will know better what the problem is.

Please take some picitures of the crack and post them here ! Ever Mfg has limb problems, Martin is Top Notch in Customer Service. The limbs will be under Warrenty so they will be replaced. Let us see some of the pics to determine if it is a crack or a flaw in the finnish!

fantarain
12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Here are some pics for the crack on the limb. I am new to this forum and this is my first martin bow. I really like the way it shoots, but I have no experience for the quality of martin products before. I wish it is not a common problem and the product is backed up by martin's warrenty service. I really appreciate all your help!

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/fantarain/IMGP3320.jpg

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/fantarain/IMGP3328.jpg

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq192/fantarain/IMGP3329.jpg

razorjack
12-15-2008, 09:14 PM
That doesnt look good,i bet martin or your dealer will take care of you.

Elk4me
12-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Deffinately a crack buddy take it back to your Dealer and have it fixed under Warrenty. If you have problems at the Dealer Pm me and I will give you a Number to call martin Directly. But please go thru your Local Dealer 1st.:D

fantarain
12-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks very much! This bow was bought online. Can I bring it to any dealer even I didn't buy it from there?

bfisher
12-16-2008, 08:36 AM
It could just be a crack in the camo dipping, but I wouldn't chance it. This crack looks too invasive, and not often do cracks show up laterally like that. Most are longitudinal.

As already mentioned by the others. Definitely a warranty issue.

Elk4me
12-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks very much! This bow was bought online. Can I bring it to any dealer even I didn't buy it from there?
Sent you a Pm!

joelc
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Deffinately a crack buddy take it back to your Dealer and have it fixed under Warrenty. If you have problems at the Dealer Pm me and I will give you a Number to call martin Directly. But please go thru your Local Dealer 1st.:D

That is absolutely, positively, without a shred of doubt, NOT a crack in the limb. What you are seeing is a fold in the camo film dip used to coat the limbs. This is nothing but a cosmetic flaw and in no way compromises the integrity of the limbs.

If you take a look at the series of pictures (most notably the closer ones) you can see tiny air bubbles caused by the folding of the film dip. The bow is perfectly fine and should cause no worry to shoot.

An actual crack in the limbs itself would be much more subtle and ALWAYS run the length of the limb with grain of the fiberglass.

fantarain
12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Just talked with Joel on the phone. He said it just a paint crack, no problem for shooting so no need to fix. He is very knowledgable with the issue and very helpful. Thanks very much for the forum and customer service of Martin. I will put more shoots on this bow and see whether the paint crack gets worse. Hope it will keep what it is right now.

Elk4me
12-16-2008, 01:04 PM
That is absolutely, positively, without a shred of doubt, NOT a crack in the limb. What you are seeing is a fold in the camo film dip used to coat the limbs. This is nothing but a cosmetic flaw and in no way compromises the integrity of the limbs.

If you take a look at the series of pictures (most notably the closer ones) you can see tiny air bubbles caused by the folding of the film dip. The bow is perfectly fine and should cause no worry to shoot.

An actual crack in the limbs itself would be much more subtle and ALWAYS run the length of the limb with grain of the fiberglass.

we'll there you go straight from the Martin Tech.:eek: Sorry joel I thought it was a crack.:rolleyes:

bfisher
12-16-2008, 02:16 PM

WOW!!!!!! Joel, where did you come from? Nice to see you on here if even for a short time. I know you're a busy guy so Thankyou for the insight.

Barry

martinmagnus
12-16-2008, 03:41 PM
MY 2002 70# Martin cougar bow limbs split. I talked to Joel and they were warrantied through all-star archery in Louisville, Texas. I was sent 80 pound limbs. In the meantime I purchased a 2008 fire cat which now has broken limbs. Please help...I now have a cougar that is hell to draw in the cold and a fire cat which can only be drawn by the bold....