PDA

View Full Version : Which model for hunting?

Bowhunter57
12-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I nearly purchased a Moab, last summer and now I wished I had done so. I've been on the Martin website and for the most part, difference between the Moab, Bengal and Cheetah is that the Cheetah is 2" shorter in axle to axle length.

I'd like to purchase one of these bows for bowhunting only. I have a 28" draw length, shoot 28" arrows that are around 450gr. finished and have been shooting around 60# to 63#.

I'm open to suggestions, but am currently considering one of the above 3 models.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

razorjack
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
i picked up a 08 cheetah end sept and used it for hunting so far i cant complain.It's great in a stand and even better in a blind.Nice speed very quiet with no hand vibration,overall a very nice bow for the money.:D

bfisher
12-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Given your draw length you could choose any of them, however I always like to stay with the longer ATA. The differences between the Bengal and the MOAB are pretty subtle. The price difference is about $50 MSRP. With the MOAB you get the CCS and STS as standard equipment. Want to add them to a Bengal later and I'll bet they are more than $50.

Do you need these items? Not necessarily. Does the price difference of $50 mean more to you? Your choice. It's your money.

Either bow will perform as well as the other. They are virtual twins. You'd be happy with either, so quit fartin around and make the move. Don't be sorry two times in a row.

alex
12-17-2008, 12:57 AM
I have a 08'MOAB and it's a great bow-don't know about the Bengal, but it is better then the Cheetah and from what i've read in this forum the MOAB has almost no problems, which can't be said about the other one.

bfisher
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I have a 08'MOAB and it's a great bow-don't know about the Bengal, but it is better then the Cheetah and from what i've read in this forum the MOAB has almost no problems, which can't be said about the other one.

Yes, and I don't quite understand why the Cheetah and Bengal would have more problems than the MOAB, unless it was a different ATA. Of course the dif between the Bengal and MOAB is only an inch. I do notice that it seems to be mostly bows shooting the higher poundage and longer draw length. This would make sense because these things create more stress in the whole system.

The only other explanation I can come up with is that possibly those having limb problems bought themselves a smooth drawer and are trying to milk speed out of them comparable to something with a more aggressive cam. If this is the case then sooner or later something has to give.

That's why I always say if you want speed then buy a speed bow. You can always back the poundage off. You can shoot a heavier arrow (for the KE advocates) and the bow will be more quiet, too. Good attributes for a hunting bow.

C Bailey
12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
The 2008 models of most of the Martins are going pretty cheap right now. There was a guy on AT selling brand new Moabs for $280, I believe. You won't get the CCS or the newer cams, but you'll save nearly $200. Also, at your draw weight, you should at least try to shoot a Firecat with the CAT cams. You get equivalent speed at a reduced draw weight on the same riser as the MOAB. Just a thought.

Bowhunter57
12-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Also, at your draw weight, you should at least try to shoot a Firecat with the CAT cams. You get equivalent speed at a reduced draw weight on the same riser as the MOAB. Just a thought.

C Bailey,
You make a good point. I like the idea of shooting less poundage, while maintaining good arrow speed. However, I'll have to physically hold and draw a Firecat to see how if feels.

I intend to use some 2216s with Blazer vanes and 125gr. tips. I'm looking to attain more K.E. to get pass-throughs for whitetail hunting. A quiet bow appeals to me, more than a fast bow. :) Cut-on-contact Magnus Stinger 4 blade broadheads and good shot placement will do the rest of the work. :cool:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

alex
12-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Yes, and I don't quite understand why the Cheetah and Bengal would have more problems than the MOAB, unless it was a different ATA. Of course the dif between the Bengal and MOAB is only an inch. I do notice that it seems to be mostly bows shooting the higher poundage and longer draw length. This would make sense because these things create more stress in the whole system.

The only other explanation I can come up with is that possibly those having limb problems bought themselves a smooth drawer and are trying to milk speed out of them comparable to something with a more aggressive cam. If this is the case then sooner or later something has to give.

That's why I always say if you want speed then buy a speed bow. You can always back the poundage off. You can shoot a heavier arrow (for the KE advocates) and the bow will be more quiet, too. Good attributes for a hunting bow.

Bfisher, you are right of course, but i meant that if you check the forum you'll find a lot of complains about the Cheetah and almost none about the MOAB.

dbd870
12-18-2008, 06:34 AM
The 2008 models of most of the Martins are going pretty cheap right now. There was a guy on AT selling brand new Moabs for $280, I believe.

I've been giving some thought to picking up another one - 2 indentical bows could have merit.

Elk4me
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
All 3 bows listed are excellent bows. The Cheetha was a tad short for me . The Bengal was for sure a shooter, I liked the MOAB also, but as you can see by my Signature I preffer a bit longer of a bow just a personal prefferance.

I would pick :

1. MOAB
2 Bengal
3 Cheetha

But if price is a option I would buy the Bengal.:cool: