PDA

View Full Version : brand loyalty

martinmagnus
12-20-2008, 07:11 AM
In 2002 while waiting on the latest and greatest from hoyt the pro shop owner suggested I shoot the Martin cougar. After just one shot, I turned to him and said I'll take it. Six years three Pope and young bucks and countless game animals later I noticed a hairline crack in the cleft of one of my limbs. After speaking with Martin's customer service I was sent 80# limbs instead of 70 #. In the meantime I felt it would be only proper to buy another Martin, a Fire Cat.
Monday December 15, 8:23 a.m. 28° The large Buck came in fast he was on the trail of the doe that just walked under my stand with only a millisecond to draw and anchor. WHAK... One broken limb one exploded bow one seriously startled bow hunter in shock left picking up the pieces. So there I was with a Martin cougar, that was hell to draw in the cold and a martin fire cat that couldn't even be drawn by the bold and with just a little over two weeks of hunting season left.
The soft thump of my bow string came almost simultaneously with the loud smack of my arrow breaking into and through the chest cavity of the large wild boar. December 17, 5:13 p.m. North Texas lake bottoms conditions 42°and windy, first night in woods with the new Ross Cardiac....

bfisher
12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
So I take it you got new limbs, like in a hurry?

vision archery
12-20-2008, 10:21 AM
By your last words Ross, does that mean you are shooting it now?

flytier17
12-20-2008, 11:36 AM
This is your second thread on the subject. Were you having trouble finding your first thread? Here it is if that was the case: http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=3862

And here is my original reply to that thread:

"Well, this is indeed an unfortunate incedent. I would contact joel again as you definetly should get the limbs of your preferred choice. Make sure they will do the same for the firecats limbs.

There ahve been several instances of Firecat limbs breaking. This is most likely due to the new limb pocket design and the CAT cams combined than the limbs as the Slayers and MOABs have had very few issues. This new limb pocket was a big step for Martin, and so far they have done really well with it. Martin honours all warrenties within their set parameters, and will do so in the future. They have addressed the issue with the new bolt design and cleaner limb tips as well. We'll see how they work. Maye you can get Martin to send you out the new limb and bolt design when they get replaced.

In the meantime, the Cougar can be backed down to65lbs, so it will be a bit easier for you.

Contact martin again, as they will take care ogf you. They have good customer service; yours was probably a random mishap. Hopefully, it will get better from here for you.

All the best with that,
Alec"

Every company has limb failures. Bowtech had the problem with the Generals. I personally know two people who had bad limbs on Mathews Drenalins, and another with a DXT, all of which were twice the cost of a Firecat. I'm not pointing fingers here, I am merely showing that all companies have limb faliures. Now, with the 80lb cougar limbs, I agree; Martin screwed up. They will however rectify the situation, I'm sure of it. It would be ebst to approach it calmly, and explain the situation. Martin has a fantastic reputation for service and hoouring their warrenties. It was merely an unfortunate coincedence that led you to have these complications. With a little patience; you should have both bows up and running just the way you want them to in short order.

alex
12-20-2008, 01:22 PM
As far as i can see you have a good bow and soon you'll have 3 good bows, so why complaining ;)

vision archery
12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Alec is right, Martin has great service. And I know because the way they helped me on my firecat. We still got one more thing to do and that is the redipping of the riser to match the next camo limbs, and this is at no charge to me. They put the wrong limbs on mine but had it fixed and shooting in a week with the right limbs. Call and talk to Joel and you will be taken care of. Good luck and good shooting.

Joe

martinmagnus
12-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the responses. Just to be clear, I love my Martin Cougar and would have never thought of replacing her if I had not seen a hairline crack in the bow limb. This only occurred after 6+ years of rigorous use. In my eyes, Martin makes one of the best bows on the market. That is why I chose to buy the Firecat sight unseen.

The problem was due to urgency with a little over 2 weeks of hunting season remaining, I was in a bit of a bind. After shooting numerous bows, I chose the Cardiac. I think the statement that sums this up the best is that I will now have 3 awesome bows. :)

flytier17
12-20-2008, 03:37 PM
There you go, have fun with your 3 bows!