PDA

View Full Version : Help needed after 3 Shoulder Surgeries

cdsmith12
12-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I am going to try to get back into bow hunting after having 3 shoulder surgeries. I am trying to stay somewhat cheap until I know that it is going to work out. I went to a local archery shop the other day and pulled back a 50 and 60lb bow. 50 was ok, 60 was out of the question.

What is a good 50lb bow for deer and hog hunting?

I know with all of the new technology out there that I should be able to get something that will shoot just as fast and accurate as a 60 to 70 lb bow.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

bfisher
12-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Seriously, any 50# bow will be enough for deer sized game. I, too, have shoulder and back problems so 60# is out of the question for me these days. I am able to draw 50#, but prefer 45# with my FireCat (hard cam) simply because I can shoot it more accurately than at 50#.

Let me explain something. How much weight you can draw may be determined by how aggressive the cam is on a bow. You can shoot something like a Bengal or MOAB with the M2Pro cam and be able to shoot 50 to 55#, simply because it's a more round smoth drawing cam. However, you can get something like the FireCat or Warthog with their aggressive Cat cam and get the same amount of speed (performance) shooting nearly 10# less draw weight. I know this from personal experience.

What you should do is shoot these bows and compare for yourself. The best way to compare them is to set them for equal draw lengths and chrono them as you shoot them. See what feels good for you while giving equal performance.

So many guys think that just because they can draw a smooth drawing bow with more weight that this is the way to go. They have this macho thing going. They don't consider that a harder cam may give equal performance at lesser draw weight and may seem to draw just as smooth or smoother in doing so. All they think about is how much draw weight thy can muscle over. Archery or bowhunting is not about testosterone levels. It's supposed to be fun.

So my advice would be to set some bows up and shoot them. Give them an equal chance and see what you would prefer. In the long run it's going to be your shoulders that do the work. It's going to be YOU that determines which would be the most fun to shoot.

The reason I mentioned the bows above is that they are all pracrically identical in ATA, brace height, and mass weight. The MOAB and Bengal are almost twins, including their cams. OK, so the MOAB has the CCS and STS as standard, which is worth the extra money as far as I'm concerned.

For the record I presently have four bows, two of which I cannot shoot (did I mention shoulders?). I'm shooting a FireCat at 26.5" draw and 45# for 3D, getting 278 fps. Hunting arrows do 262 fps.
I just ordered a 55# MOAB to set up as a primary hunting bow, which will likely be shot at 50#. I just understand that at lesser performance my maximum hunting ranges will be a little less than when I shot 60#, shot angles will have to be a little more precise. Broadhead choices will be limited to a little narrower heads and such.
Arrow speeds will be something closer to what I shot 10 years ago, but still 50 fps faster than at 30+ years ago when I started---and I shot right through deer when shootig sub-200fps.

Yeah, I'm long winded. Sorry 'bout that, but I like details. Hope this helps you some. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to help.

Barry

cdsmith12
12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the information. I have listened to Ted talk about his Firecat on Spirit of the Wild several times. The closest Martin dealer is about 60 miles away, so I guess I am gonna have to go for a drive.

Thanks again

bfisher
12-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the information. I have listened to Ted talk about his Firecat on Spirit of the Wild several times. The closest Martin dealer is about 60 miles away, so I guess I am gonna have to go for a drive.

Thanks again

Yeah well, at least the drive isn't in the snow. LOL.