PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Again

rongcp
12-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I am new to archery and recently purchased a Martin Cheetah. The help I need is instructions on how to wax your bow strings. Do the strings need to be loose prior to waxing or can it be done with tension. If it can be done with tension how about the string around the pulleys. If you can help please give detailed instructions. Thank You!

Montalaar
12-22-2008, 03:13 AM
I wax my bowstring under full tension. The same with the cables. I do not know if your cables and strings need wax but in most cases i would say know. I only apply some wax if the string shows kind of wear or seems to be "dried".

bfisher
12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
The best wax is some of the gummy ones like ML6, White Lightning and such. Eevn Ten Point crossbow wax is prety good. I don't like the stiff ones like Textite..

You rub it one the string and then use your finger or a piece of leather to rub it in. This causes some friction (heat) which helps the wax permeate the strands. You can apply a little to the end servings as far as you can reach to the cam, but don't go crazy here. Too much and it will go through the serving and eventually cause serving slippage.

After you get it done take a piece of dental floss and start at one end, wrapping it around the string twice. Then pull it toward the center serving. This will remove any excess wax. You don't need to wax often. Some guys do it every time they shoot the bow. This is ludicrous. As Simon mentioned when the string/cables start getting a few fuzzies or feel dry then it's time.

The purpose of wax is to waterproof the string and to alleviate frisction between the strands. Too much wax will just gather dirt and debris which will enhance the abrasiveness.

As a matter of record, I shoot about 5000 shots a year. Maybe 2500 on each of two bows. I shoot almost daily and I replace my strings about once every two years. I don't even own any string wax, but I'm not rough on my bows either. And rarely do I get any of those little fuzzy strands. If I'm not shooting them they're cased.

alex
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Sorry for the advertisement, but this is a good site with bow tuning tips and you may find it interesting (there's a vid about waxing). http://bowtuningtips.com/