PDA

View Full Version : Help, my bow sounds like a 12 ga shotgun

bronco79
12-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I have an 08' Martin Sabre set to 68 lbs I love everything about it as it is my first compound bow. Herein lies the problem, I lost the first deer I tried to stick with it because of how loud it is. the deer jumped 3 feet in the air before the arrow could even get to her. Is this normal or do I have a problem? I got it as a package deal so the only add ons are a limb savor vib dampener 4inch I beleve stock string, stock string leeches bout it. What can I do, I amgoing to take it back to where I purchased it and see if the bow guru can help me but though I would go straight to the source for some advice

BEAR FOOT
12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
try a string supressor on it that should take away alot of noise and vib

make sure you check it all over thou

bronco79
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks, ill try that, I'm just gettin back into bow and compound is a whole new animal than my old recurve.

Montalaar
12-29-2008, 12:14 AM
First:
There is no bow guru. If you have enough time you can learn anything yourself.

Then:
Have you checked the Cam alignment? Is everything in place and tight? Seems as if something is kind of loose. Have you checked the limbs for any problems?

razorjack
12-29-2008, 06:19 AM
What arrows are you using,do they match your draw weight,if that's all good you might want to try heavyer arrow.............that is if nothing wring with the bow.

flytier17
12-29-2008, 08:30 AM
What Simon says seems to be good advice. Tighten every thing down that can thump buzz or smack.

bfisher
12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
How about listing all your specs. Everything about the bow and accessories. The arrow type and spine, and mass weight if you know it.

Also, your bow should have the MPro cam on it. Make sure, where the string exits the cam that there is at least 1/2" of groove showing. If ther isn't enough groove then maybe this is the source of the noise.

Let's start with this.

nocknroll
12-30-2008, 01:33 AM
When I started shooting without the packaged quiver attached, it quieted down some. Also when I switched to cat whiskers when the string leeches gave way that helped too. I think the string leeches did there job though.

The packaged whisker biscuit was buzzing too. Didn't realize it until I got a drop down type of rest.

b0w_bender
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Amazing on how those little buggers can move out of the way of an arrow! Yes, making your bow quieter will help.

First off give the bow a bump with the palm of your hand see if there is anything that rattles. Removing everything from the bow and shooting it bare will allow you to isolate the problem. If itís significantly quieter without all the stuff then itís somewhere in the accessories. Add them back on one at a time. And see which one or ones it is.

If the bow is still real loud without all your cool gizmos try these things.
confirm the screws that hold the draw length modules on the cams are tight. They are real loud when they are loose.

Iíve seen on some bows if the little retaining clips that hold your axles in are not snug to the limb or washer they will buzz like crazy. Another washer or a dab of silicone caulk will help stop it.

On my hunting bow I have also added string leaches to the control cables. Make sure you put them only on the ends that donít move so they donít role into the cams and cause them to de-rail! (this will also affect the speed of the bow)

String suppressor will help too.

Martin bows are really well made and they have gone to an extreme amount of effort to eliminate sources of movement and vibration so you should be able to get it whisper quiet. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

bronco79
12-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Thank you for all your help and ideas. I was checking my Sabre out the other night and had it at full draw.I slowly released it and the string jumped off hte idler pulley ruined my string I have seen this done on another Sabre exactly the same way no dry fire just a slow let off. I was told that the factory told the place I bought it from ,that you can get enough torque on it it will or can do that. has anybody had this problem? I am wondering if this has anything to d o with my bow loudness. Everything felt tight and looked good.soIm at a loss. I am taking it back to where I bought it this weekend and get it checked out. I have only shot the bow mabye 30 times since I bought it.