PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting out of your bow?

BT1
12-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I have messed around with Martin bows (on and off) for a dozen years or more but this last one (Cougar Magnum III) is just honkin!.
I'm not even going to post the results of this build but I do want to know what others are getting so I can get an idea of where I am seeing here.

This bow of mine was built for 50# @ 25" (IBO) standard, so if you are shooting the lower weights and draw lengths, I am very interested in your specs. :cool:

flytier17
12-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, My Cougar III Mag. is setup for 29.5" and 62lbs, and it shoots a 325gr. arrow at an impressive 323fps. I know that this is a long draw speed, and you want a short draw speed, but I thought I'd chip in anyways.

bfisher
12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Can't say about the Cougar, but I've got a 2008 FireCat that set up at 26.5" draw and 45#, shooting a 267 gr arrow (6 gr/lb) it's doing 278 fps. Of course if I ever take the time to tweak it might do around 285, but that would be about it I suppose. I could go to about 53# with this arrow and I'm taking an educated guess that It would do about 290 fps as is.

Montalaar
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, My Cougar III Mag. is setup for 29.5" and 62lbs, and it shoots a 325gr. arrow at an impressive 323fps. I know that this is a long draw speed, and you want a short draw speed, but I thought I'd chip in anyways.

Long draw? :P So what is 31.5" then? Or 32.5" with a handheld release? :P

bfisher
12-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Monkey arms. I hate you. LOL.

flytier17
12-29-2008, 10:55 AM

Ridiculous is what it is. Knuckle-dragging ape arms.....

BT1
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM

No....actually that great
It' easy enough to re-calculate back to where I am from where you are. :)

BT1
12-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Can't say about the Cougar, but I've got a 2008 FireCat that set up at 26.5" draw and 45#, shooting a 267 gr arrow (6 gr/lb) it's doing 278 fps. Of course if I ever take the time to tweak it might do around 285, but that would be about it I suppose. I could go to about 53# with this arrow and I'm taking an educated guess that It would do about 290 fps as is.

Nice!.
I am actually setting this current bow up to perform between 45 & 50#, so your rig is a great standard to bounce performance numbers off of . :cool:

Korak
12-30-2008, 05:40 AM
I have a new Bengal. It is 50#@26. I'm only getting 237fps with a 318gr arrow. This seems awful slow to me.

bfisher
12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
I have a new Bengal. It is 50#@26. I'm only getting 237fps with a 318gr arrow. This seems awful slow to me.

Well, figure it this way. If the arrow is spined stiff enough you could concievably shoot it with up to 64# while adhering to the 5 gr/lb rule. That right there could net you as much as 30 fps. Say 25 to be conservative.

What all is on your string. Everything on it is just like adding weight to an arrow. Nocking point (loop), kisser button, peep, string silencers. They all add up. If you are using a peep with a tube aligner that can rob you of 7-8 fps easily.

If you are using a loop you could cut down on the length of the center serving making it only 3" long. I don't shoot a loop and still only use a 3" center serving.

Optimizing cam orientation can add some if you want to hunt for that sweet spot, but then you may be compromising the draw length.

The crux of it is, if you want speed then you should buy a bow with a faster IBO rating in the first place. And I don't mean this as criticism, just advice. You could shoot a similar bow with the Cat cams at the same weight and have an arrow that is 20 fps faster with your same setup.

Something just popped into my head. The last deer I shot was with a Golden Eagle Litespeed that at 61# with a 315 grain arrow with a speed of----you guessed it----237 fps. 15 yard double lunger and that arrow zipped through like it was going through paper. Actually put about 8" of arrow in the ground after the passthrough.

Things like this are why I could care less about speed out of a hunting bow.

Korak
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
this Bengal is 50#max. I have another for hunting. I bought this bow for 3D and targets. It is a sweet shooting bow, I just thougt it would be faster. The 318s are from a bow I bought but did not like. When I can buy arrows for this bow, I hope to be at 250gr.

bfisher
12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't keep up with all the new arrows and such anymore. It's tough just remembering to get out of bed in the morning sometimes. LOL.

You'll have to do some homework on arrows, but you should be able to get somethng really light. Something like Carbon Tech Cheetahs or Gold Ultralite in a 600 spine should work for target and 3D. These are probably about as light as you're going to find.

You can get on GT's website. Find PRODUCTS, the BUILD YOUR OWN ARROW from the drop-down menu. You can work up the UL-600 and see what happens. If possible try to use glue-in target points and feathers. These will be the lightest.

If you're planning on using vanes like Blazers then still work it up with feathers and add about 10 grains to the overall arrow weight. If you're shooting a class that requires screw-in points then you can use standard inserts and Saunders 65 grain points and still be right at a total point weight of 80 grains.

Not trying to sell you on GT's. Just giving you some options to look at. I'm shooting a UL-500 27" long with glue-in 80's and three 1.8 3D Duravanes, CB inserts with G-nocks and they weigh 267 grains.

Hope this helps for the future.

flytier17
12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
My CXL-SS's spine for a 65lb bw, and weigh in @ 325grs.

~Austin~
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
30" @ 68lbs = pork and venison for me.... i don't know about you guys. haha.
;)

BT1
01-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Something just popped into my head. The last deer I shot was with a Golden Eagle Litespeed that at 61# with a 315 grain arrow with a speed of----you guessed it----237 fps. 15 yard double lunger and that arrow zipped through like it was going through paper. Actually put about 8" of arrow in the ground after the passthrough.

At 15 yards your right....speed doesn't matter to penetration when it goes through ribs or no ribs at all.
However....
Speed serves me in that I don't have to look at any pin from 0-35 yards at 327fps.
At that speed, one pin held dead on means certain death if the deer stays where it is when the arrow arrives.
No wounds or misses as long as I do my part :cool:

bfisher
01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
At 15 yards your right....speed doesn't matter to penetration when it goes through ribs or no ribs at all.
However....
Speed serves me in that I don't have to look at any pin from 0-35 yards at 327fps.
At that speed, one pin held dead on means certain death if the deer stays where it is when the arrow arrives.
No wounds or misses as long as I do my part :cool:

I'm not saying that speed isn't important. In fact I'm one big speed chaser. Always have been, but most deer hunting for northeastern hardwoods is 25 or less yards and for this type of hunting speed and flatness of trajectory is totally not an issue. Using your example of one pin staying within the vital area of a deer, I have done my own testing and am able to sight in one pin for 25 yards and shoot anything between 5 and 30 yards with a mid-lung hold; and this with a bow shooting 260 fps.

Being realistic, if you are getting 327 fps from a hunting setup, then you're setup is somewhere between 50 and 70 fps faster than what average setups get. And many of these average setups produce deer kills, so it's still not all about speed. Now, you get to hunting out west where yardages may require longer shots then more speed can be an asset, but even out west most shots are not all that much longer. That's why bowhunting is still considered a short range sport.

What I was trying to impress upon Korak and BT1 is that you aren't going to get blistering speed from a smooth drawing bow. They aren't designed for speed. You can't have both, so be satisfied with what you have.

SandSquid
01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
2006 ShadowCat 35# @ 27"
3H limbs backed out 5 turns, Nitrous "A" Cam w/ small module, Winners Choice strings and cables, RipCord Rest:

Victory VForce HV 300 (http://www.wehavearrows.com/product_info.php?products_id=49) GPI:6.9 Spine: 0.3
Cut to 29"
2 inch Blazers (5Gr. each)
100Gr. Filed points

315.1 Gr. (calculated)

202 Ft./Sec.

Interested to see where it's at after I swap the 3H out for 1H limbs in a few days (hopefully).

SandSquid
01-02-2009, 06:17 PM

IMO: Speed does not put meat in the freezer, good shot placement does.

*Bambi, it's whats for dinner!

bfisher
01-03-2009, 09:09 AM
IMO: Speed does not put meat in the freezer, good shot placement does.

*Bambi, it's whats for dinner!

Yeah, and it doesn't hurt to have a bow that is super quiet so that by the time the arrow gets there the deer isn't somewhere else.

SandSquid
01-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah, and it doesn't hurt to have a bow that is super quiet so that by the time the arrow gets there the deer isn't somewhere else.

Agreed, but even with a "noisy bow" you can put meat in the freezer.

This was taken yesterday morning from 35 yards w/ (daughters')Browning MicroMidas3 35# @28" (currently for sale as she has a "new" Martin Tigress) Rage broad-head on a Victory Buck Buster arrow. Double lung & heart took 3 steps and dropped.

http://my1.photodump.com/SandSquid/1e337473eac08ecd-T.jpg (http://www.photodump.com/SandSquid/1e337473eac08ecd.JPG.html)http://my1.photodump.com/SandSquid/f18104a94b1cf48a-T.jpg (http://www.photodump.com/SandSquid/f18104a94b1cf48a.JPG.html)