PDA

View Full Version : Helps needed by Mountie1

bfisher
12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey guys, I just got a PM from Mountie1 asking about specs and such on a 2008 Moab. I gave him some info to start with, but I told him to post here in the general forum so that you guys can add whatever expertise you have to help.

He had the limbs replaced and had idler wheel lean, which was corrected, but the bow is out of spec. ATA is 3/8" short and brace height is 3/8" high. I told him to check the peak weight with the limbs bottomed and that he may have to untwist the rigging. I did mention about cam orientation and to draw a line on the side of the cam along the bottom limb for reference.

Anyway, help the guy out when he gets here. I know you guys are good. Between all of us we might get him straightened out.

Barry

Montalaar
12-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Sounds like a good point to start with.

I would agree with you that some untwisting of the cables/string could remove the problem of low AtA and high BH.

bfisher
12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I told him that generally the string is twice as long as the cable so to remove twice as many twists from the string just to keep the cam orientation and draw length approximately where it's at if that's where he wants to keep it.

MOUNTIE1
12-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Okay, as I mentioned to bfisher, I have a few questions about my MOAB. Most of this comes from the fact I really don't trust my bowshop. I had to have the limbs replaced a couple of months ago. The new limbs are appear to be 09's. They are next camo and have rounded ends on the riser end. Both the old limbs and the new have "5H" on them. I don't think the shop used any specs when they replaced the limbs, the just put a certain # of twists without regard to factory specs.
Current measurements are: 32 3/4 ATA with a 7 3/8 BH. The bow is bottomed out and measures 70#.
Before changing the limbs the bow was bottomed and pulling 72# on the same scale.

The bow shoots great, my question is am I doing any damage to the bow and should I get it corrected before I do much more shooting. Would the new limbs make any difference (are they exactly the same as the old limbs). I know the string/cable lenghts are different on the 09's and I believe the 09 has a longer DL.

Also, it seems the screws on the draw module work loose frequently, any suggestions on keeping them tight or should I just check them regularly.

nocknroll
12-30-2008, 01:10 AM
According to the specs shown here (http://www.martinarchery.com/z2008Website/moab.php) you are on the money.

I too have an 08 Moab. The brace height is correct but my A2A is short by just over an eighth of an inch. I'm not sure if I should be too worried about it though.

Short of taking your bow back to the shop (I get the feeling that you've lost all confidence in them) you could back off the limb bolts until you can remove the string and cable (or use a bowpress) to get to the draw module screws. Hopefully, they were just loose and nothing was stripped. I don't think it's normal for them to loosen regularly.

Good luck. I love this bow! I'm glad I got this as my first.

dbd870
12-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Your specs are good, however the module screw backing out should not be happening. When you take the module out do the threads in the cam look OK? I only have 2 MPro cammed bows, however neither one has any issues with the screws backing out. I could be off base on this but I was thinking the MOAB came standard with "M" limbs for 50, 60, and 70#'s?

MOUNTIE1
12-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I have tightened the module screws 2 times. I have not checked them lately but will this afternoon. It does not act like they are completely stripped (if at all) because they do seem to tighten down good. I have not taken them all the way out but might just to be careful. Don't know if it would be a good idea or not but I thought about using some loctite if it continues. I don't trade bows much so I don't worry about having to change the module. I plan to keep this thing for a long time. Great bow and a pleasure to shoot.

canuck1056
12-30-2008, 07:46 AM
I usually just put wax on the threads instead of loctite , it keeps them from coming loose and yet they don't cease up when you want to take them out.

alex
12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't think the loctite is a good idea.You'd better use wax or even a chewing gum ;)

bfisher
12-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Not sure I'd Loctite them either. The modules are some sort of plastic. The last time I got Loctite on plastic it was the mount for a Quicky quiver and it destroyed the thing. The plastic around the holes just cracked into a star shape. Kept wondering what was going on till I read the directions.

bfisher
12-30-2008, 10:24 AM
According to the specs shown here (http://www.martinarchery.com/z2008Website/moab.php) you are on the money.

I too have an 08 Moab. The brace height is correct but my A2A is short by just over an eighth of an inch. I'm not sure if I should be too worried about it though.

Short of taking your bow back to the shop (I get the feeling that you've lost all confidence in them) you could back off the limb bolts until you can remove the string and cable (or use a bowpress) to get to the draw module screws. Hopefully, they were just loose and nothing was stripped. I don't think it's normal for them to loosen regularly.

Good luck. I love this bow! I'm glad I got this as my first.

Good thing you posted this. I was using specs from the original catalog. I guess they change them once in a while and never let me know. Oh well. Glad to get the info some way. Thanks to all.