PDA

View Full Version : Found 4 -12 year old New Scepters

bowfishn
12-31-2008, 09:39 AM
I've been out of shooting for the last 10 years, my last bow was a Scepter I purchased over 12 years ago. It had Z-Cams, 80 lbs. w/straight limbs, Cable harness, 32.5" draw. (I also had a set of wood recurve limbs and round wheels set at 60 lbs. I used for spot shooting, although I shot just as good a score with the Z-Cams at 70lbs.) I sold everything back in 1998 and I am thinking of getting set back up again.
I have located a dealer who has 4 new Scepters he has had in his shop for 12 years now. He is going to keep 2 of them for himself but one of the other 2 I can get of him. I have the choice of setting the bow up with Z-Cams, Fuzion Cams, or Nitrous Cam as he has all the parts in his stock to put together almost any set-up I want.(the original Set-up he has he will sell came through with Wood recurve limbs and round wheels)
I am needing some info on the other cam systems, how they shoot, the pros and cons on the cams. As I said I have shot the z-cams and I really found them to be accurate and very forgiving to shoot. Imput on this would be appreciated.
The bow will be used for Hunting, Spot shooting and some 3-D. At my draw the old Z-Cams gave me 310 fps, set up for hunting was very quite and I could use it on 3-D with good results. (I also had a Fury at the time I had my Scepter, It was fast but I found it not to be very forgiving to shoot. It had Fury cams and Full fast Flight harness, the harness was stretch in and Cams timed. It grouped well but point of impact seemed to be differant day to day, most likely my hand position on the riser.
Also I shoot with release not fingers.

flytier17
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
I would definetly get the Nitrous cams. They are a little smoother draw cycle I found, and a little faster than the Z cams. Also, they are only just out of production in 07, so the modules are a little more available if you wanted to switch them up between 65% ans 75%, or get the X system.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Z cams, however, Septerman30X here has experience withe them and scepters together. I ave only shot them on a Parallell limb hunting bow; the Rage I think it was.

I do not like the Fury system though. I can'd stand the valley and fall feel. Maybe for spots only, but I don't like the feel myself. Same goes for the newer counterpart; the Furious.

I have never shot or seen the Fuzion cam, but I would assume by the term "fuzion CAM" it is a solocam. I would vener use a solocam for 3-D or target. Too much tuning problems, cam lean, nock travel, differing tillers, and creep tuning etc... I would be using a dual for sure.

Hope this helps,
Alec

flytier17
12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Also, I hope he is not going to put Nitrous cam on the wood limbs. Those old limbs were not designed for the newer high-energy cam systems.

bowfishn
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
No the wood recurve are for round wheel, I would be seting it up with straight limbs or composite type recurve limbs.
The Dealer had told me about a few Cam systems he had in stock, I probably got the Fuzion Cam wrong as I see they don't have it listed in the cam charts I have checked, but I know the Nitrous Cam was one he recomended because he mentioned the needle bearings in the cam, he also said the cam systems were costly for him to purchase. He ordered 6 pair years ago and has a few pair left.

scepterman30x
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
My sentaments on putting NOS cams on a bow with wood laminates for limbs is this...every thing is relative. For instance if the IBO specs for the S1 with wood limbs is 275 fps with the round wheels then it would be ok to use NOS cams with wood limb just so you do not exceed 275 fps with the NOS cams.

A certain amount of stored energy is a certain amount of stored energy no matter what cams you are using.

bowfishn
12-31-2008, 01:57 PM
The wood limbs would be very weak in poundage for most cam set-ups, I think they only went up to size 7 limb. Not sure on the new cams, but my old z-cams I believe the limbs were #10s' for 80lbs but can't rememember now. I did run one of biggest straight limb at the time with a onza and 3" or 3 1/4" flight wheel, it was peaked at 150 lbs., we mainly used it at shoots as a fund raiser, we called it the "Mega Bow 150" , not many people could get it pulled back. We didn't shoot it, to much stored energy.
I always got a kick out of how bow manufacturerers dropped the peak poundage down for saftey and then designed cams to store greater energy, and it is the stored energy that produces the speed with a given arrow weight and bow eff. , the bow will come apart just as easy with less poundage if it has the same stored energy when you shoot it. Lighter arrows mean more energy is absorb by the bow, translating to more noise and shorter life.
So yes I would agree that if you didn't exceed what the limb was designed to originally take it would work, but it would be limited in poundage, it depends on what you want to shoot. (Cams usually compress the limbs less thats why they used heavier limbs, in that case the cams would be easier on the wood limbs)
I redesigned a sonic wheel set up on an older Firecat bow for my father back in 96 I beleive, it made it easier for him to draw with his bad shoulder and also at the same time it picked up 15 to 20 fps. The funny thing is most people that tried the bow said it didn't have any let off. The reason for this is it peaked early and very gradually dropped off to let off weight, you would not notice a valley like most cams thus some people thought it didn't let off. The scale proved other wise. The main thing was my father was able to draw and shoot well with it for a few more years even though he had a shoulder injury.