PDA

View Full Version : I have joined the Martin Family

eastx
12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
My wife totally suprised me Christmas Eve when she drove me to a local archery shop where she had with the help of the manager picked me out and ordered in a Martin Saber SE. It is hot!! It has a Martin WB style rest, a Tru Glo site and 3 arrow quiver, and a few limbsaver goodies in all the right places, and i got a tru-ball titan release. The shop installed a peep sight and set it up it is a 27" draw and 60# This is my first bow ever and I am super excited to be able to start practicing in preperation of next year's hunting season. After reading here and AT i am confident that this bow is more than capable of the hunting I'm going to be doing, wt deer, and hog. My question is between now and September should I consider upgrading sights, quiver (is 3 enough?), and rest, and adding anything else to it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bfisher
12-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the site and to the Martin family. You aksed a couple of questions and I'll try to give decent advice.

You are completely new to archery, right? Don't change anything on the bow for now. Learn how to shoot it. The most important thing in achieving accuracy is consistent shooting form. To become consistent you have to practice it, training your mind and body to work together.

You'll have plenty of time later this summer to make upgrades to your equipment if you so desire. In the meantime----find a local archery club and JOIN. Start shooting indoor if they have facilities. Meet some of the people and just being around them you'll pick up a lot of knowledge. Traget shooters are usually eager to help a new guy. Just don't be afraid to ask.

When the weather gets nicer then take it outside and have some real fun.

dbd870
01-01-2009, 05:56 AM
I have nothing to add to what Barry had to say other than I think you better hold on to her; she's a keeper.

SandSquid
01-01-2009, 07:22 AM
My strongest advice is before you even pull a single arrow spend an hour with a good coach. You'll save yourself YEARS (in my case DECADES) of battling bad habits you learned on your own.

One hour then go practice for two weeks, another hour, practice for a month, another hour, you should be good to go for a while.

My wife and both daughters are competitive archers and they spends 1 hour with their coach "1-on-1" every month. And every month scores improve instantly after a session. Ther are little corrections he'll give her now-and again when they are both at the range at the same time, but a dedicated hour is a great thing.

One thing you missed on was arrows. I would get a dozen "cheapies".
At this point the arrow is probably going to be more accurate than you are.

I personally can't sing the praises of the Victory "Buck Buster" arrows highly enough. I had a set fitted with some glue in standard "bullet" points (70 Gr.) and they shoot as well or as better than arrows costing twice as much!
And at $53.00/Dozen, what a bargain! http://www.wehavearrows.com/product_info.php?products_id=80

Take half of that dozen and stash them away. You'll be glad you did later :cool:

Most targets have a large face on one side and 5 smaller spots on the other, do all this on the one big spot side

Now put three (yes just 3) in your quiver and start sighting in at 10 yards. A lot of folks shoot 6 or 12 at a time but I think you are going to fatigue too quickly, not get enough recovery time between ends and ruin too many arrows. And it is a nice break to walk and get your arrows. analogize the three arrow group, ponder why two are touching side-by-side and the third is 7" away, high and left....

Keep shooting this same three arrows at 10 yards until the fletchings are all torn off from your groups being so tight. Don't spend too much time chasing your sight around because your body is going to take a while to "settle in" just keep putting the top pin on the same spot and keep shooting till you consistently get tree arrows in a group about the sized of a half dollar.

Now move out to 20 yards and grab three new arrows. and repeat this process, shooting till you get tree arrows in a group about the sized of a half dollar.

Now, you can get get those last 6 brand new arrows, turn your target around and shoot one arrow at each of the 5-spots... This is good practice because the deers vitals are not always going to be dead center in front of you, you discover a while new set of control muscles!

Wait, 6 arrows and only 5 spots!?!?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

Take a sharpie and number the nock fletch (the odd colored one) 1 through 6 and rotate your arrows as you shoot. on the first end shoot arrows 1,2,3,4,5 second end shoot arrows 2,3,4,5,6 third end shoot 3,4,5,6,1 fourth; 4,5,6,1,2 etc. etc. After a while you might start to mentally keep track of how each arrow hits, and how you are hitting at each spot.

You may notice that arrow #2 always goes high right no matter which spot you shoot at etc.

You are going to hit a little different at each of the 5 spots... You may always be hitting low left on spot #3 regardless of which arrow you use.
If you are shooting competitively, you may want to shoot arrow #2 at spot #3 to help compensate.

Somewhere along this way you might discover how fun it is to shoot 5 spot and get sucked into that wonderful world!

Seriously join an indoor club or league, it's great fun and you will learn a LOT. Even though everybody "competes" they will help you get better, because it means more competition for them later.

bfisher
01-01-2009, 07:48 PM
I know Sand Squid is writing his post with just a touch of humor, but he's also telling you some good stuff. Especially about not shooting too many arrow ata time----and getting a good coach.

eastx
01-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Seriously, thanks for the advice, I am looking for a good target, but for right now I have some 3" dots painted on a haybail my neighbor gave me (can't beat free). The guys at the local archery shop are great they have helped me out a lot already they have a free range that I plan to utilize and get some more advice from some experienced bowhunters out there. There is a 3D place in the area that I will probably join when they light up in the spring. But for now I am going out with three arrows at a time and just sending them downrange, that poor haybail. I am already addicted!!!