PDA

View Full Version : String jumped off idler on a 08' Sabre?

bronco79
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Has anybody had a string jump off the idler pulley on a martin sabre. I was told that the factory said with enough torque that it would do it ... Had it at full draw let it off nice an easy and bam. I saw one do it just like that in the showroom. I have mabye 30 shots on it and it is cranked up to 68 lbs. never been dryfired, or dropped. I wrote in on this bow being like a 12 ga shotgun I am wondering if that was a precurser to this. Everything looked tight and straight so i am at a loss.

delmarduck
01-15-2009, 11:32 PM
happened once to me, my fault though, torqued the bow real bad.

bfisher
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Were you drawing and letting down using fingers or release? If fingers then it is very easy to torque the bow and string enough to roll the string off the cam/wheels. This is especially true if you try to let it down slowly and even more so with a higher draw weight. Usually the higher the weight and the slower you try to let down the more torque will be induced. Best thing to do is let it down fairly fast, but controlling it. Just don't dry-fire it.

Put it in a press or let the weight off the limbs, place the string back on the cam/wheel and if it's not boogered up you should be back in business.

bowmadness
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
don't matter how you let it down still jumps off. I have one has the same problem done replaced string once. top wheel also was really crooked. shoots good but can't let it down.

bfisher
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok, let's take a look at idler wheel lean. Try eyeballing from the idler down along the string and see if the string is coming off the wheel straight. If the idler appears to be leaning to one side then you need to twist up pne side of the yoke cable to true it up.

There still remains the possibility that you are torquing the bow. If you grip the riser this can happen.

Other than these two things I can't think of much else that would cause your problem. Maybe one of the other regulars can help more.

flytier17
01-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Two things I thought I'd mention.

First, how is the quality of your string? I have seen strings built so badly there is pronounced twist in the string. Like a stretched corkscrew. My amthews drenalin I used to have came with such a string. At 63lbs, there was still a noticeable corkscrew in the serving over the idler. I let it down once, and it didn't skip, but it did ride on the side of the groove on the back of the idler. kinda scared me cause it was almost off!

My Scepter 4 I just fot also has this to a lesser degree. I'm trying to decide whether I should change the fury cams to a Nitrous system, but either way, when I do decide, the first thing I am going to get is a set of proStrings.

Anyways, I'll try to post a pic of my S4 at full draw so you can see what I mean.

Secondly, it might be easier to check for cam lean if you lay an arrow in the side of the idler, and see if it runs parallell to the string or not.

bowmadness
01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
The string that came on the bow was a piece. The bowshop guy I bought the bow from twisted the top string and staighten the top cam some. But he was a real ***. said there was no way for the string to come off. I pulled it back in the store and bink there went the string. The day I bought the bow same thing happen. I can release any other bow except mine.