PDA

View Full Version : Pendulum sights

rongcp
01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I hunt from a treestand and wanted to buy a pendulum sight for my martin cheetah but all the reviews I've read on them are bad. Does anyone know of a good pendulum sight that actually works?

bfisher
01-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I have tried a couple pendulums over the last few years so can tell you what my experience has been. I'll also tell you the results I got using a single fixed pin.

OK, the bow was set up getting 260 fps at 27" draw. I used a pendulum made by Vital Bow Gear. Sighted it in for 20 yards as per the directions. I then shot the bow from various yardages from 5 yards to 30 yards. At short yardages the arrows hit a little high--maybe 1 1/2" at 10 and 15 yards. A touch low at 25 yards, but out at 30 yards the arrows hit about 3" low.

OK, I figure this isn't too bad. Mid-lung hold for anything within 30 yards and we got venison. The sight was quiet, but I still has soem reservations. I just don't like any more things moveable than necessary.

Next I put on my multipin sight, which had all but one pin removed, so essentially a single pin fixed sight. I sighted this in for 25 yards. Then I shot it between 5 and 30 yards. Guess what? Almost identical results as the pendulum There was a slight difference at short ranges as the arrows hit maybe 2" high at 20 yards instead of 1 1/2" high, but it was the same at 30 yards.

This shouldn't happen. The whole idea is for the pendulum to rotate and make up some of that difference. However, I'm not going to question the results of my own shooting and what my own eyes saw.

From these results I have found I still like a single pin. Makes for a nice clean sight picture, and with one I can't pick the wrong pin. But now I use a single pin adjustable sight. An HHA OL-5000 to be specific. I set it for that same 25 yards for hunting and don't move it. However, if the chance ever arises for a slightly longer shot I have the option of moving it.

It also serves me well for being able to practice at longer distances and I use the same bow sometimes for 3D also so it works for that, too.

gman57
02-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I have tried 4 or 5 different pendulams over the years and the one I always returned to is the Predator IV http://www.predatoriv.com/ in a tree or on the ground its good to 40 yds with my Cat

Jake-the-snake
02-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey id just like to say that im gonna have to agree with bfisher here. I have an HHA optimizer 5000 adjustable single pin sight, its great for hunting, and target shooting, and the sight is as durable as they get. The pin is bright enough without a light, to see when you have just a little bit of shooting ligght left to make a great shot. I love it and wont ever go away from HHA