PDA

View Full Version : Sight pins, arrow shafts and Martin Bengal

hunt123
01-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Hello. I just got my first bow, a Martin Bengal (60-70lb limbs) and since I don't know how flat it shoots, I'm wondering how many pins I need to look for on a sight? (Shooting targets out to 60 yds, hunting to maybe 45 once I'm good enough.) Also what arrow specs should I be looking at in carbon shafts? I'm pretty confused on that due to all the possibilities. My draw length is probably 30". I'm going to get the bow set at 70lbs if I can pull it easily enough, or backing it down until I can. I had no trouble with my friend's Mathews DX which is set in the low 60's. At full draw, it was a little "jumpy" though but maybe that's because it was the first compound bow I'd shot and I wasn't used to it.

razorjack
01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
i would say 20,30,40,50,60.at least five pins.with my cheetah a shoot out to 40yds and use a 3pin setup.
Once you have your specs nailed down on draw lenth and draw weight,most arrow manufacters have a arrow chart to make sure you get the correct shafts.
I use easton st epic 400,carbon express rebel hunters,both very good companies.Their are more out their,you'll just have to decide on that,or get some help from a good pro shop.

bfisher
01-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Your bow is not a 60-70. It's 55-70. Martin bows are adjustable 15# down from the peak weight.

IMO it's pretty hard to give a recommendation on arrow size to shoot. You say you are "about" 30" draw. You sy you might shoot 70# or 60# or whatever you can draw. You can't pick arrows subject to such loose specs. You have to know what the draw length is going to be, how long the arrows will have to be, and at what poundage they will be shot at. Although there is room for adjustment you have to have some sort of solid foundation to begin with.

Just an example about draw length. Best way to get close is to measure your wingspan and divide by 2.5. This often times corresponds to your approximate height. In other words for you to truely have a 30" draw you would have to have a wingspan of 75" or 6'3", which would be close to your height.

Getting a bow's draw length fit to you is, IMO. the most critical part of setting up a compound bow. If the draw length isn't correct then all the rest can never be right either and you'll never get the accuracy out of the bow that you and the bow are capable of.

Now for sights? It's OK to practice out to 60 yards and beyond, but thinking of shooting 45 yards at game is living in a dream world unless you become a very very good archer. And most that get good enough to do so probably won't in most cases anyway. They realize that bowhunting is not a long range sport.

hunt123
01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I just got my family to measure and I'm 79.25" which equals 31.7" draw length. However, my friend's Matthews is set to 29" and it almost felt like too much.

So I'm thinking 30 would be fine. If it's not, I'd have to get another bow because the Bengal specs are only 30". But the trigger on my release sits back which probably gives me another inch.

I'm fine with 62lbs, but am going to try 70. One of our local archery shops is going to set it up.

Is it possible to get arrows that are spined so that they will shoot well at 70 and still be OK if I have to drop back to 62-65?

Thanks for the advice razorjack, I'll look at the 5's. Maybe hunting at 45yds is dreamland for me. Don't know yet if I have the talent or not.

bfisher
01-05-2009, 08:54 AM
This is a heads up just in case you change bows. The Martin Warthog would give as much speed (performance) at 60# as the Bengal does at 70#. It has a harder cam, but has blistering speed so things pretty much equal out.

And FYI I hate you guys with long monkey arms. I have to suffer with a 26.5-27" draw. The only reason I mentioned about measuing for draw length is that so many guys get it wrong---on the long side.

With your present release and shooting a loop (if you do) I would think that the Bengal at 30" would be a pretty good fit.

bfisher
01-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I forgot to add about arrows. One of the most adaptable arrows I've ever shot over a wide weight range has been the Gold Tip 22 series, I've shot them at 27" from 45# to 70# and have been able to get a decent tune out of them. Not perfect at the lower settings but good enough for 3D.

hunt123
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Sometimes I'm not too thrilled about the long arms either. It's real tough to buy clothes. :)

I'll be shooting a loop so 30" + my release should be just right. I'll look at those Gold Tips. I've been thinking about getting some version of Gold Tip, that helps. Thanks.

flytier17
01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I draw a touch over 30, 29.5" with a loop though. For fingershooting, I anchor differently, and have a 33" draw length.

hunt123
01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't think there'd be that much difference. That's interesting. But now that I think about it, when you're finger shooting, I guess the finger curve takes up a lot. What bow can you shoot that has a 33" DL? I've never seen a compound over 31.

flytier17
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
When I shoot release, I tuck my knuck under my ear behind my jawbone. With a BT release, I invert mt knuckles along my jaw with my pinkie under my ear. When I shoot fingers, I place my fingertips along the long thin muscle in the side of my neck. This is not very common; I seem to be one of few who prefer it that way. It does NOT go well if you have big ears:D Fortunately, I dont.

The S4 with the XL furious cam and L mod will hit 34, and I believe a Nitrous "C" cam will get you to 35". Thats with Elite lims though.