PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Martin Cheetah Troubleshooting

Doug Kraft
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Until yesterday, my bow (2007 Martin Cheetah) had been on the shelf for the past couple of months. I took it out to practice yesterday. Upon releasing my first arrow, the bow made a loud pop, something it had never done. I repeated the shot 3 more times, with the same results. Thinking the noise might be string related, I changed out my string silencers, but the bow continues to make the same noise. I'm trying to isolate the problem and would like suggestions. I know that I'm a bit overdue for a new string and am pretty certain that the current string has stretched somewhat. Could this be causing the problem? Or am I looking at the wrong thing? Suggestions/Advice? :confused:

razorjack
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
current string has stretched somewhat

Yes it can,i have had bows come out of spec and become alot louder,mostly on hybrids.You may need to do some twisting to get bow back in spec.
If problem continues you may need to pull everything off bow shoot it if it's quiet then put your accessories back on one at a time to find the noise.
Also check your e-clips,make sure all modules screws are tight,all other screws too.

flytier17
01-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Yep, tighten everything snugly, and see if it goes away.

If your cam is overrotated, it will cause noise, but I don't know if it should "pop". If your string stretches, but not the cable, your cam will overrotate. There should be 1/2" - 3/8" of groove showing where the string comes off the eccentric cam.

Doug Kraft
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Looks like the groove is exposed closer to 3/4" or a bit more. Re: the popping noise, it has a bit of post-shot buzz/vibration to it, which is why I'd wondered about the string.

Appreciate your feedback, Flytier and razorjack. If additional ideas occur to you, please do pass them along.

flytier17
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
If there is 3/4" of groove, I would say loosen (untwist) your string, or tighten (twist) the cable. I think. Its been a while since I used a solo. Maybe someone else can verify.

If it buzzes, it is most likely underrotation / overrotation. Get the bow into specs with the right cam rotation, and see if that does it.

Did this happen suddenly, as in between a space of 5 shots? If so, the reason may be a sudden stretch of the cable, or possibly a strand seperation, which can also take place unde the serving. If it did happen suddenly, you might want to have the bow pressed, and examine the string on a jig. Saves blowing your bow up, thats for sure.

Doug Kraft
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
flytier17 -- many thanks again for your feedback on this. I'm thinking I'll take it to the pro shop and have them take a look-see. Again, many thanks!

flytier17
01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
No problem, glad to help. If you have any more questions, just feel free to ask away!

Alec