PDA

View Full Version : Martin Warthog Magnum Question

Jeff
01-07-2009, 03:23 PM
The other day, I bought an old Martin Warthog Magnum that I found on Craigslist.

I'm kind of curious about how old it is, and I was hoping someone on here could help. It looks absolutely nothing like this thing (http://www.martinarchery.com/warthog.php), it looks more like this (http://www.martinarchery.com/mystic.php), except it seems to be all wood. I think it's relatively old, judging from pictures of older Warthogs I found on the internet.

The riser has "2431" and "WHP 53247" written on it, and the limbs have "C something L 42987-4" on them.

I don't know if this will help at all, but the draw weight is 45 - 60.

By the way, I'd also like to know how to adjust the weight on it. I know zip about compound bows. I only really bought this thing because the seller tossed in a nondescript recurve and some arrows for free with it. Still, it's a pretty cool bow.

flytier17
01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes, you have the older warthog. It was discontinued, and ressurected under a new design. Martin does that every now and again.

Just turn the limb bolts at the base of the limb. Make sure to turn both the same # of turns. Also, do not turn them more than 5 turns from the bottomed position. No need to crank them down to bottom them either; don't want to damage the mounts.

Alec

Jeff
01-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Oh, neat. Any idea when the older one was discontinued?

Thanks...I think it's already at it's lowest setting, and I'm just very, very weak :p

One other thing, it is really, really loud. Is that normal?

flytier17
01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
The older bows were a bit louder. This is normal.

If you are a recurve shooter, than any compound will be really loud.

You'll build up muscle as time goes on. Of paramount importance however, is your comfort. Do not exceed what your body says is too much. With regular practice, you will have no problem with it. I've seen small archers pull 70-80lbs no problem because they shoot every day, and for a long time. I've also seen a firefighter who was really fit and muscular come into a proshop. He was getting into archery, and was trying some bows out. He ended up dryfiring a 70lb. Bowtech Guardian because he couldn't roll the cams over peak as he was not used to using the necessary muscles. Archery uses back muscles more than arm muscles actually, and they will get stronger.

Alec

bfisher
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Alex is correct about the strength needed to shoot a bow. It's not so muc about brute strength as it is about the groups of muscles involved and the direction they are now pulling vs what they are used to. Take your time and avoid any injuries.

As for the noise, you should know that most bows are somehat noisier with the weight backed off due to the rigging (cables/string) not being as taut. This is just for information. Again, don't go getting muscle strains trying to prove anything. Learning good shooting form and practicing such will help develop the necessary muscles. As the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Jeff
01-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Well, the weight only goes up to 60, I don't think that's too over the top, most of the modern bows I look at go a lot higher. I think it's set pretty low, and I don't have TOO much trouble pulling it back. If I had somewhere to shoot it every day, it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't.

flytier17
01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
When the snow is blowin here, I shoot in the basement a 4 yds for the muscle and form practice.

60 is reasonable if you can handle it. 70 is unnecessary.