PDA

View Full Version : arrows for 09 moab

JT38off
01-12-2009, 07:27 PM
hey guys, haven't bow hunted since 96' and just purchased an 09' moab. im very excited to shoot it but its naked and it will take me a little time to set it up. after doing some extensive homework i ended up w/ the moab. it was between this one or the high country iron mace. i got a really great deal on it at 399.99, no tax or shipping. the ? i have is does anyone know if this bow is capable of shooting the high country speedpro 5.5 gpi arrows w/ rage tips, or are these arrows too light for these limbs. also do these arrows have enough knock down power for deer. ive heard they are too light. im just trying to get the most speed out of this bow,i know there are many more things that attribute to this but should this be my first thought? my draw is 30" and bow is set at 70#. can anyone help? thanks

dbd870
01-13-2009, 12:53 AM
It looks like you are going to come in under 5gr/#; I'd go with something else.

JT38off
01-13-2009, 08:38 PM
thanks for the information!

dream_archer
01-24-2009, 06:04 PM
What does the MOAB stand for?

Desmond
01-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I would recommend Victory's
GPI Spine
VForce HV 300 6.9 0.300

You will still have good speed of 280 fps and these should give ya about 70# K.E.

JT38off
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM
What does the MOAB stand for?

mother of all bombs or ive also heard mother of all bows.

JT38off
01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
GPI Spine
VForce HV 300 6.9 0.300

You will still have good speed of 280 fps and these should give ya about 70# K.E.

thanks for the info my buddy shoots these and likes them but he has a much older bow, ill definately check them out .

JT38off
01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
GPI Spine
VForce HV 300 6.9 0.300

what do you think the v force hv 400's would do as far as speed an k e. they are 6.1 gpi, are they too light?

dbd870
01-26-2009, 06:19 AM
400's are underspined for your set up.

Desmond
01-26-2009, 06:25 AM
400's are underspined for your set up.

I must agree!

bfisher
01-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Me too. At your specs you should look at a 300 spine. Quit worrying about punching as much speed out of it as possible. Get the right spine first. With your draw length speed is a given.

Couple other things. The MPro cam on a Moab is not designed for speed so don't think you're going to set any speed records with it. Bows with the Cat cam are for speed. The MPro cam is designed for easy drawing and relatively good speed. If you want all out speed then get something with a more aggressive cam.

Arrows do not have knock down power so don't think otherwise. Bows shoot arrows and these kill by slicing through vital organs, causing hemmoraging. They are not capable of knocking an animal down. Even bullets do not knock animals down. They create shock which disables the animals organs and nervous system causing it to collapse.
Consider that many animals are still taken with recurve and long bows of about 50# or so, with complete passthroughs in lots of cases. These have approximately the penetration potential of a 40# compound bow. You are shooting a 70# bow which is way more than I just described so you have plenty of oomph to kill deer with any properly spined arrow you decide to shoot., but the arrow has to be flying true and hit the vitals. This is paramount.

dbd870
01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Quit worrying about punching as much speed out of it as possible.

I'm with Barry. Enjoy the MPro for what it is; a cam with a sweet draw curve and decent performance. I actually go to a little heavier arrow when my MOAB hits the woods.

JT38off
02-19-2009, 08:56 PM
GPI Spine
VForce HV 300 6.9 0.300

hey des, im really considering your advice on the vforce hv300 6.9gpi 300 spine and for some reason im attracted to these arrows. im new to the compound scene so im asking, this arrow is suitable for an 09 moab w/ a 29" draw at 70# and 100 grain rage tips?

Desmond
02-19-2009, 09:10 PM
hey des, im really considering your advice on the vforce hv300 6.9gpi 300 spine ,.. this arrow is suitable for an 09 moab w/ a 29" draw at 70# and 100 grain rage tips?

Yes it is. I was going to buy them for my Slayer with the same 29"DL and 70# as you. But I came short of $$$ and went with the Vapor Pro black 400's in .0300 spine which are 7.4gr/inch for a price I couldn't resist, but next week I'm getting them Victory's for sure!! These will definitely will provide the speed I'm looking and still be on the safe side from shooting a light arrow and shooting 125 gr field tips/broadheads.

JT38off
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
thanks Des, i just wanted some reassurance before the purchase, i'll let you know how they fly!

JT38off
02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
hey Des, one more ?, my buddy gave me 6 new carbon fury 6075 350 arrows i had cut down to my length yesterday i havent shot them yet but how do you think the victory compares to these, again im leaning toward the vforces but is there a sagnificant differance in gpi and speed?

Desmond
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
hey Des, one more ?, my buddy gave me 6 new carbon fury 6075 350 arrows i had cut down to my length yesterday i havent shot them yet but how do you think the victory compares to these, again im leaning toward the vforces but is there a sagnificant differance in gpi and speed?

Them Carbon Fury are Bass Pro Shop's cheap line of arrows. $54 a dozen and with a .005 of straightness. They are 10.6 gr/inch. way heavier than the Victory's so eventually speed loss is guaranteed. :(

bfisher
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Des and JT,

I'm just going to mention this in case you don't know it, but you need to do all your homework when considering arrows. You don't always want the lightest shaft like the Victory you are discussing. At 6.9 gpi you might end up with a finished arrow that is too light for the poundage you are shooting and could thusly end up damaging the limbs or some other component. Remember, you want to end up with a finished arrow of at least 350 grains. That might be pretty hard to do with a shaft that light.

Pick the shaft and components with care.

Desmond
02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Des and JT,

I'm just going to mention this in case you don't know it, but you need to do all your homework when considering arrows. You don't always want the lightest shaft like the Victory you are discussing. At 6.9 gpi you might end up with a finished arrow that is too light for the poundage you are shooting and could thusly end up damaging the limbs or some other component. Remember, you want to end up with a finished arrow of at least 350 grains. That might be pretty hard to do with a shaft that light.

You're right bfisher, Thanks for the reminder!! :)

That's why I did calculate the weight of a complete arrow and came up with the following:

29"X 6.9gr/inch = 200.1 gr
point/bhead = 125gr
3 Blazer vanes ( 5gr each)= 15gr
Nock weight ( GT nock) = 11gr
insert = 21gr

Total finished arrow weight is 372grns which should be on the safe side. In my case my bow is cranked to the max and my weight scale is reading 66# of draw weight. Which also should give me a good 70 to 75# of KE.

Will this be ok? :confused:

C Bailey
02-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Des and JT,

Another thing to consider is that the Victory HV shafts, and comparable speed shafts from other manufacturers, are light weight for a reason. The lighter weight will result in less durability and resistance to breakage, not characteristics you want in a hunting shaft.

bfisher
02-21-2009, 05:18 PM
You're right bfisher, Thanks for the reminder!! :)

That's why I did calculate the weight of a complete arrow and came up with the following:

29"X 6.9gr/inch = 200.1 gr
point/bhead = 125gr
3 Blazer vanes ( 5gr each)= 15gr
Nock weight ( GT nock) = 11gr
insert = 21gr

Total finished arrow weight is 372grns which should be on the safe side. In my case my bow is cranked to the max and my weight scale is reading 66# of draw weight. Which also should give me a good 70 to 75# of KE.

Will this be ok? :confused:

You should be fine. Now go shoot and have fun.

Desmond
02-21-2009, 06:31 PM
You should be fine. Now go shoot and have fun.

Thanks fish!!
I guess JT38off will be good to go to. :cool: