PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much Brace Height?

SandSquid
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm trying to piece together a 3D and "real" hunting bow for Mrs. Squid.

I have a nice (camo) Cheetah riser and some 16" straight (Camo) limbs and I'm working on the Nitrous A cams (already have the mods)...

But a recent conversation got me thinking that the brace Meigh might be approaching upwards of 9" (or more) and it was suggested that it might be too much Brace Height.

I'd like a "forgiving" bow but don't want something that twangs.

Thoughts?

scepterman30x
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I would have to say it would be on the long side. The Cheetah is basicly a parrallel limbed bow and I believe the std. length limbs are 13". So lets say the std. BH is 6.5" add 3" to make up for the difference between the two and that would be about 9.5" and 10" of BH. That would be a loss of about 30 or 35 fps with the longer limbs, draw length, poundage and arrow weight being =. What she needs in my opinion if you are going to stick with the 16" limbs and some NOS A,s are a Panther, Tigress, or a Mercury riser.

flytier17
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Or a Phantom II or Phantom III maybe?

SandSquid
01-15-2009, 05:35 AM
We are not stuck on these limbs, we are stuck on this riser... finding a decent LEFT HAND riser that she likes, for $$$ we can afford, is the challenge. I just happen to have the riser and a set of nice, light (2H), 16" straight camo limbs.....

However, we WILL be looking for an older, non-paralell LH riser to hang her Jaguar Take-Down limbs on when they get here.

scepterman30x
01-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Or a Phantom II or Phantom III maybe?

When I said Panther I meant Phantom...sorry.

flytier17
01-15-2009, 08:03 AM
OK, I kinda guessed that, but I didn't want him to think of a Panther as a Pantera which is a parallell-limb design.

How abouit a Cougar III or Cougar IV as well?

scepterman30x
01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
OK, I kinda guessed that, but I didn't want him to think of a Panther as a Pantera which is a parallell-limb design.

How abouit a Cougar III or Cougar IV as well?

A/A may be a little long for her compfort.

SandSquid
01-15-2009, 09:19 PM
A/A may be a little long for her compfort.

She's shooting a ShadowCat Elite Nitrous currenlty for 5-spot (just scored a 292/30X) and really likes it, but say's its woo tall to be toting around the fields shooting 3D or sitting in a ground stand

scepterman30x
01-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Cougar with 16" limbs are going to be about 40.5" avg. A/A length.

SandSquid
01-31-2009, 03:24 AM
In contrast to the 2007 "factory specs" of A/A:30-1/2" and a B.H. of 7".

The Cheetah riser built up with 14" Magnum limbs, Fury 00HL cams (http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=4061) has an A/A of 32" and a B.H. of 6", and is a fine shooting bow though I would like some more Brace Height for when my wife eventually takes over the bow. I can certainly see the longer B.H. as a result of the larger diameter M-Pro cam system, as opposed to the tiny Fury 00HL cams

I'll likely see where it lands w/ some 15" and 16" limbs, and most likely try some Nitrous-X and Furious-X cams, somewhere along the way..........:eek:

C Bailey
02-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Cougar with 16" limbs are going to be about 40.5" avg. A/A length.

I have a camo Cougar III that was custom ordered with SE limb pockets, 14" limbs, and Nitrous C cams. The brace height is 8.5" and the ATA is just shy of 34". The 6H limbs are supposed to put out 70lb, which I think is a little higher than actual. This may be a combination that could work, with lower poundage limbs. Mine is left handed and I could probably part with it for a reasonable amount if you are interested.

bfisher
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Did I ever tell you about my ShadowCat SE? Had it custom built in 2005, I believe. ShadowCat riser, SE limb pockets, 14" limbs, B NitrousX cams and mini mods.

32" A2A, and 9 3/8" brace height. Quiet as a mouse. I even made a homemade STS and mounted where the cable rod would normal ride. String hits the bumper about 2" above the nocking point.