PDA

View Full Version : New bow selection - Need assistance

Unregistered
01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I am looking for advice on picking a new bow. I have been to a local pro shop but he doesn't carry any Martin bows. He is a Martin dealer but claims that when he has them in stock they aren't bought. He really pushes Mathews with Hoyt coming in a distant second. When I mentioned the Firecat to him he told me that it would be hard for me to shoot because of being a beginner. He did say that it is an excellent bow though.

Does anyone have any advise on picking out a first bow? It will be mainly used for bow hunting.

Thanks,

Kevin

scepterman30x
01-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I would really love to know who this dealer is and I'm sure Martin does also. Claiming to be Martin dealer and then making remarks like that. I think a lot of dealers do that just to hinder another dealer down the road that would better promote them and sell them. You know the kinda deal where you cant have more than one Martin dealer a certain distance from another.

alex
01-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Well, may be your dealer is right about the Firecat. I'm also a begginer in compound bow archery and can say this bow is hard for me.In the shop i've tried the Cheetah,MOAB and Firecat-all 60#. I pulled the first two without difficulty, but wasn't able to pull the Firecat with the same poundage.I bought the MOAB and this is my advice for you.It is a great bow-smooth,quiet and forgiving, ideal for begginers. May be i'll buy a faster dual/hybrid cam bow some day, but now i need more practise in archery.
P.S. It's natural that the dealer pushes Mathews and Hoyt-they are twice more expensive ;)

dbd870
01-18-2009, 06:10 AM
If you talking about the Martin world, you will find any of the bows with CAT cams are much more aggressive; now you can back the draw weight down on the CAT cammed bow and use it like Barry has, with the idea that you may be able to increase draw weight at a latter time. Your other choce would be to go with a bow with MPro cams. I find I prefer the MPro's better than a backed off CAT cam - but that is a personal preference. It really would be best to find a dealer where you could try them out. Unfortunately what you have had happen to you is not the first time someone has come on here with a similar story. The dealers push what makes them the most profit. You didn't say what you were using the bow for. If you what a target set up then you're out of the bows we've been discussing and the Scepter and Mystic are Martin's entries there. Although personally I've never been fond of their current cams.