PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Martin STS System?

DRITCHEY
01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I just bought a bengal 08. I noticed right away I need to quiet this bow down. As far as tuning and bow repair I rely on my bow mechanic but I think installing the STS is something I should be able to handle because I can order it staight from Martin. My main question is should the rubber stopper just touch the string or should there be some pressure on it?
Thanks.....

SandSquid
01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I just bought a bengal 08. I noticed right away I need to quiet this bow down. As far as tuning and bow repair I rely on my bow mechanic but I think installing the STS is something I should be able to handle because I can order it staight from Martin. My main question is should the rubber stopper just touch the string or should there be some pressure on it?
Thanks.....

I don't use one myself, nor do any of my family shooters but I've set one or two up for friends... I has told by someone I trust initially to set it up so you can "just see a sliver of light between the string and stopper". the way the stopper is shaped, kinda concave'ish, I could not see that though, so I just shoot for a sheet of copy paper slides through but a business card drags. Could be right could be wrong, I dunno, but I've never had any complaints. hopefully those who are "in the know" can enlighten us all.

b0w_bender
01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I would like to know the answer to this too!
Great description SandSquid I'll be talking to a martin dealer tonight I'll get his input and let you all know what he has to say.

bfisher
01-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Maybe I'm in the know, maybe not. I always set mine up to just touch the string at rest and play with it a little from there, usually leaving a slight gap as SandSquid says. Some bows are just a little different from others, but I usually end up from zero gap to as much as 1/8"---no more.

One thing to think about is if you set it up to just touch and then decrease the draw weight the brace height will change a little, becoming higher so the STS might need a little tweaking to follow the brace height.

Like so many things in archery there is nothing written in stone.

08BENGAL
01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I put one on my 08 bengal this year. I found it the quietest when i brought it back to touch the string & then put just a tiny bit of pressure on it. I am no way an expert or in the know but this made my bengal almost silent i love it. Hope this might help.

DRITCHEY
01-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Great Info!
Thanks

dbd870
01-22-2009, 05:42 AM
I put one on my 08 bengal this year. I found it the quietest when i brought it back to touch the string & then put just a tiny bit of pressure on it. I am no way an expert or in the know but this made my bengal almost silent i love it. Hope this might help.

I found the same thing worked best on my MOAB.