PDA

View Full Version : Slayer X speed??

Unregistered
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi there fellow MARTIN bow owners,

I have an late 06' Slayer X with Nitrous cams. My draw length is 30" and my arrows weight 440gr. I chronograph my bow and it's registering an average of 270fps. I can't deny I was really disappointed. But still, at the shop they checked that the timing was out and it was corrected, but before that... the shop guy measured the brace and it was 8" when it should be 6" and from axle to axle measured 38 1/2" when it should be 37 3/4" from factory specs.. Is this an indication of a stretched string? It's still the original string from when I bought the bow. I was expecting 300fps, but I guess is too much to ask.
Another thing,.... I just put on a String Tamer on it which is like a STS thing. Would this affect arrow speed? If any of ya' has chrono your bow,.. what speed and wich arrows are you shooting??

Any help/opinions will be greatly appreciated,

Desmond

Desmond
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi there fellow MARTIN bow owners,

I have an late 06' Slayer X with Nitrous cams. My draw length is 30" and my arrows weight 440gr. I chronograph my bow and it's registering an average of 270fps. I can't deny I was really disappointed. But still, at the shop they checked that the timing was out and it was corrected, but before that... the shop guy measured the brace and it was 8" when it should be 6" and from axle to axle measured 38 1/2" when it should be 37 3/4" from factory specs.. Is this an indication of a stretched string? It's still the original string from when I bought the bow. I was expecting 300fps, but I guess is too much to ask.
Another thing,.... I just put on a String Tamer on it which is like a STS thing. Would this affect arrow speed? If any of ya' has chrono your bow,.. what speed and wich arrows are you shooting??

Any help/opinions will be greatly appreciated,

Desmond

Well, I ended up registering as a member here!! :rolleyes: I forgot to add that my bow is cranked up to 70#. Hope any of ya' can give me an insight.

Thanks in advance!!,

Desmond

scepterman30x
01-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Sounds to me like you may have 16" limbs on your bow instead of the required 14" limbs to get the 6" BH. Let us know. 2" of BH that like an avg. of about 20fps in lost velocity.

Desmond
01-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks scepterman30x for replying! :)

I just measured the limbs and my bow is carrying the 14" limbs. I also checked the brace height and it's back on the 6". I guess the shop guy got it adjusted. I will get new strings for my bow as soon as I get a chance. Today I'll be picking up some new Vapor 400's (7.4 gr/inch) arrows and see what speed I get and be experimenting with the String Tamer (suppressor) and such. Nothing wrong with my Carbon Tech's Whitetal XP"s arrows, but I sure would like some speed out of my bow. Slayer X is supposed to be a speed bow, right? :confused:

bfisher
01-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I think I'd be disappointed, too. Something doesn't sound quite right. As an example, I had a 2004 SlayR with Nitrous B cams. I shot it at 53#, 267gr arrow (5gr/lb), 27.5" draw length and the booger spit arrows out at 308 fps. I eventually tweaked it to fit me better at 27" draw and still did 299 fps.
This when the bow was IBO rated at 325 fps.

I would say that shooting the arrow you are, at 440gr, is costing you about 25-30 fps. And anything on the string is just like adding weight to the arrow.

flytier17
01-21-2009, 09:36 AM
You most definetly have something wrong there. I have the 14" ag limbs, and my strings are in specs. I shoot 65lbs, and 29.5". With a 470gr. arrow, I'm getting 283 fps.

Heres what I have done to improve my speed.

Light stranded 8125 Dyneema strings amde by ProStrings

STS so I could remove the string silencers

I fooled around with cam rotation a lot. I twisted all my cables 1/2 turn each, and chronod, then repeated the process. All of a sudden, the speed peaked about 4 fps, and I knew I had the right rotation. I then just untwisted my string and cables to put the bow back in specs, and still keep that rotation.

I use a Fletcher Peep, and a 1/2" loop. I draw 30", but with the loop, I set my bow to 29.5"

I also put the wide axels on my "X" system. The inner cables I put on the shorter peg closer to the limb. The outer cables I put on the outer peg, closer to the tip of the axel. Not, where the cables cross, I have no contact between them. The result is greatly reduced fiction. 8fps right there. They still touch, but only during the last 1" of draw. it also cuts down on noise.

One more note, I have a Slayer wth 14" limbs and "C" cams. It has a 6 7/8" brace.

Desmond
01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Thank you fellas (bfisher & flytier17) for your imput! I just got from the shop and picked up my arrows. Can't shoot till tomorrow, but I will indeed give ya' the results. Just by hand I can feel a huge difference of weight between these VAPOR Pro-Series 55/70 from my CARBON TECH Whitetails WP's

Extra note:

I only have whiskers and a string nock on my bow string as of added weight on it. No loop here.

flytier17
01-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I think I see your problem right there. If by whiskers you refer to the rubber legs, you can get rid of them first. That is an incredible waste od speed right there. For string silencewrs, use Sims stringleeches or similar soft rubber silencers. the bundle of rubber strands is very heavy and air resistant. That is a surefire recipe for speed loss.

Alec

Desmond
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
OK guys, I finally got really satisfied today. After experimenting and tweaking my bow and shooting through the chrono at the shop I got it to shoot 305fps. That's a good 35fps increase and a 79# of KE! :cool: Can't ask for more, but I'm happy with it! :D What ya guys think??

I eliminated the string whiskers ( flytier17,... you were dead on right!!) and ended putting on the Limbsaver's Super leeches. My new arrows are weighting 385grs (29" 8.4 grs/inch,field tip included).
My bow limbs even though are cranked up to it's max, the draw weight isn't more than 66#. Still have the String Tamer jr on it and my Slayer is as quiet as my PII and my Tracer.

Once I get some "financial relief", I'll be getting new strings for it by summer before the season starts.

Any suggestions for bow string??

thanks for the help!,

Desmond

flytier17
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I'd go with ProStrings. They make a fine string; about as good as you will get anywhere. They are also very reasonably priced. They are as good or better than winners choice, but way less money. They will do any configuration you want. They can make them from 8125, 452X, and others. I like the 8125 myself, as it is a bit more stable once broken in, and a bit faster too. I also had mine lightstranded, and picked up some fps there too.

$81.99 for a Slayer, $131.99 of you have the "X" system. If you get the "X" system, be sure to mention that the cables have a single loop end, not a split yoke.

In addition, if you mention me to Wes when you order, you can get 10% off because I am a staff shooter for them.

www.prostring.com

SandSquid
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I also had mine lightstranded, and picked up some fps there too.

please explain lightstranded..Ive never heard of that...
or if I have not by that name

flytier17
01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
It is the reduction of strands in the string. An equal # of fibers is taken from both the strings that are twisted together. This reduces the bowstrings weight, and diameter, so you pick up speed. My ProStrings alone picked up 14fps from the factory set.

flytier17
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
The prostrings were 8125, and lightstranded. The factory set was 452X, and standard diameter. (with grossly excessive serving I might add.)

Desmond
01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
I'd go with ProStrings. They make a fine string; about as good as you will get anywhere. They are also very reasonably priced. They are as good or better than winners choice, but way less money. They will do any configuration you want. They can make them from 8125, 452X, and others. I like the 8125 myself, as it is a bit more stable once broken in, and a bit faster too. I also had mine lightstranded, and picked up some fps there too.

$81.99 for a Slayer, $131.99 of you have the "X" system. If you get the "X" system, be sure to mention that the cables have a single loop end, not a split yoke.

In addition, if you mention me to Wes when you order, you can get 10% off because I am a staff shooter for them.

www.prostring.com

Man, thanks a lot for the input !!
When you say "X" system, are you referring to the shoot through system? Cause my bow is not.

flytier17
01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Yes, the "X" sustem is the shotthrough system available on Nitrous and Furious and Fury cams.