PDA

View Full Version : Any Warthog reviews???

Desmond
01-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone owns or at least has shot one. I see it and it looks very similar to the Slayer in my opinion, just with different cams and 2" shorter aXa and of course,... extra speed.

flytier17
01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Specs wise, it is almost identical to the 08 Slayer. The 08 slayer was 36", 6" BH, 350 fps, with the CAT cams too.

Desmond
01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Would be nice if it would come with the CCS Cable Containment System. It doesn't look like "on par" with the new line. That's why I'm holding back on buying one. :(

flytier17
01-23-2009, 01:50 PM
it can come tith a CCS on custom order, but heres why it does not standard.

The limbs are more evrtically positioned with less preload, as is apparent when you compare it to say a Firecat. Also, the DL range is higher. Thus the limb travels more horozontally than a firecat or firehawk, but travels less vertically than the firecat or firehawk.

This translates into the cables also travelling further horozontally. They have to move farther backward during the draw cycle.

A CCS would inhibit the natural cable travel on any bow, but on the warthog where more cable travel is needed, there is too much restriction. I'm guessing that the overall peak weight would be affected, as well as there being unproportional stress on the limbs.

The CAT cam is already pretty agressive, so the addition of a CCS probably isn't an ideal aquisition for promoting the longevity of the limbs function at an acceptable standard.

I'd prefer a cable guard to a roller system for the added adjustability of cable clearence.

Alec

Desmond
01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Really insightful flytier17!! Thanks!!

flytier17
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
No problem.

I might also add that you will see the roller guard on mathews target bows with vertical limbs too. They probably have much more cable travel yet. Why there, but not on a Warthog? Well for one, the roller guards on mathews target bows are longer, so they are barely pulling tha cables at rest, unlike the Martin Warthog would be, so they can travel firther under the same stress. Also, their terget solocams are not nearly as agressive a draw cycle, or as energy storing as a C.A.T. cam, so the limbs are under a lot less stress.

maybe martin will come out with a longer CCS for the Warthog, and offer it as a M2Pro cam as well.

The Warthog is Martins 3-D Pro-Series bow this year. It is a top-of-the line bow, kind of like the Slayer was since it cam into the picture. I do not care for either as a 3-D bow myself, but that is what they are more taylored for.

If I wa to ahve any of the 09 bows, I'd get a firehawk as a backup bow for hunting, and a blind bow. I have had issues with my 38" Slayer in small ground blinds twice now, and both times, it cost me a shot on a turkey. I do not like small bows for tuning and shooting, but they do ahve their purposes, and I ahve need of one.

Alec