PDA

View Full Version : Why no threads in rear riser on saber?

legolas
01-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Anyone have an idea why there are no threads on the inside of the mounting hole for a string dampener/suppressor on a Martin Saber? I have to ask, if I put threads in it using a tap (tap & die) would this void the warranty? Seems like a threaded hole and set screw would be better that simply sliding in the STS and using the set screw.....:

razorjack
01-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Hello,the hole you talk about is to put the cable rod their,you can have it low or high.
As far as tapping that hole it might put undue pressure and cause cracking of the riser,maybe iam wrong but i wouldn't chance it.......

Korak
01-24-2009, 08:55 AM
If it is like my Bengal, there are set screws on the side of the hole. That is where I will put my STS.

Coop
01-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I would think.. if you had a threaded hole...than you could not slide the STS back or forth for the right position that you want it...,,,, I don't have one(STS), but thats what I was just thinking outloud...LOL

Coop

razorjack
01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I would think.. if you had a threaded hole...than you could not slide the STS back or forth for the right position that you want it...,,,, I don't have one(STS), but thats what I was just thinking outloud...LOL

Coop

The sts has a threaded bolt that goes into a threaded hole,then the bar that dampens string noise slides back and forth using a side plate of sort's.
Ive never seen a sts type of product not in some way setup like this.

legolas
01-24-2009, 08:01 PM
thanks for all the advice. The STS that Martin sells (for the Sabre) doesn't appear to have a thread on it - at least not in the pictures I've seen. It may be as one of you suggested - to be able to slide it so as to get a "perfect fit". Has anyone actually mounted one on a Saber? I suppose I could always get the Martin STS and once I find the perfect length I could drill out a hole in the STS for the set screw instead of tapping out the rear hole. (And not risk voiding the warranty on the bow itself.) I was worried that the set screw wouldn't hold the STS in the same position after shooting a couple of dozen arrows with it on and the bowstring slapping the bumper. And I like everything tight on the bow - I don't need anything rattling if I can avoid it.

I've seen some "front" mounted string suppressors but as I've got a stablizer in that hole, and a bowsling hooked there too, it doesn't seem like I've got too many other options.

Thanks again and good hunting!

Coop
01-24-2009, 10:57 PM
a call(Monday)... I'm sure the tech there can give you all the answers that you need.

razorjack
01-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Ive never seen a sts type of product not in some way setup like this

Well i stand corrected,after looking at the martin sts i see it is just a rod that goes into the hole and not threaded,i wonder if these are one size fit's all!.Not that my bow need's it but i might try one myself........;)