PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown

bfisher
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Guess what finally arrived at my house today? OK, don't guess. I'll tell you.
My new Black riser, camo limbed, wooden side plate (grip) MOAB.

It wasn't quite like I ordered though. I wanted 26.5" draw length and it had an F5 mod on it. Oh well, I'll cut them some slack on that one. Finish looks real good and the black/camo makes a nice contrast. Although I didn't specify such they had the foresight to put Elite strings from Stone Mountain on the bow.

After going over it and checking for draw length, setting the weight, and checking for cam lean I got to installing stuff. For now the sight will be a Spot Hogg Real Deal. The rest is a WB on a Martin lock mount.

That's about it. I wanted to get it set up for wednesday night and see how it shoots out at my club. Just put on a simple tied-on nock set (I don't use a loop), and no peep sight till the strings are broken in. My first goal is to set it up to the same specs as my FireCat and compare the speed difference and generally just get a feel for the bow.

Knowing me, once it's all tuned up and chrono'd I'll put my Infiniti drop away on it. Maybe the Hogg-It sight. Might even throw my 30" Carbon Doinker on it for a while.

I do know this. Sooner or later those yellow and black strings gotta go. What colors would you guys recommend?

It'll be a while, but I'll try to remember and post a report on what this bow is like in my eyes and how it performs.

Barry

Elk4me
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Congradulation on the New MOAB Barry! This is the 09 with the M2 cam correct!

Montalaar
01-27-2009, 02:30 AM
New strings? Remembering those discussions about the best fletching color i would recommend you a purple/green string. ;)

alex
01-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Congratulations Barry! Now when you also have a MOAB i'll be glad to know your opinion about it and we can share some tips. About the strings-now i don't have the money, but in the future i'll take the ones that flytier recommends so persistently ;) , the colour-may be all black or black and green or brown and green, don't want my bow to be too colourful.

dbd870
01-27-2009, 02:41 AM
I do know this. Sooner or later those yellow and black strings gotta go. What colors would you guys recommend?

Those are really nasty looking aren't they!:eek: I've gone with flo green and flo orange in the past. however the guy that makes my strings made a set for himself using 4 colors: org, red (or was it yellow?), brown, and green - calls it camo - I might just have to have him make me a set like that next time.

SandSquid
01-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Choosing string colors is always a challenge!

Just ask a woman to help you pick it out!!!!:eek: We just ordered some new strings for Mrs.Squid's bow to get her ready for Nationals. Only took her like two DAYS to decide. She's trying to match the color scheme of her Quiver which is Wine w/ Teal piping.
http://my1.photodump.com/uploads/SandSquid/4a5062ccfd30ce6d.jpg http://my1.photodump.com/uploads/SandSquid/aa678b6f89895e78.JPG http://my1.photodump.com/uploads/SandSquid/78c63cfc8e71ec61.jpg

Shoot string:
Mountain Berry and Teal with Teal servings.

Control cables: (She's shooting a Nitrous-X)
(2) Mountain Berry string with Teal end servings
(2) Teal String with Mountain Berry end servings

I'm making a Traditional string for the Bear Tamerlane HC-300 recurve my daughters "share"... Ended up "Flo. Green" and "Flo. Pink", I plan to use green end servings and pink center serving. It's actually not as horrid as it sounds... or as I thought it was going to be.

flytier17
01-27-2009, 07:57 AM
ProStrings, in pink and purple like you always tell us to get!

I think a black and orange might look nice. Or maybe all black wih orange servings. Or if you don't like orange, use a bright blue or chartreuse. Thats it! Electric blue and black with electric blue servings.

You'll probably think of something you like. Just post some pics for us, OK?

Just a question; why do you shoot off the serving? I always prefer the loop myself. Is there an advantage to the serving? Or is it just because you need the DL.

Alec

bfisher
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
ProStrings, in pink and purple like you always tell us to get!

I think a black and orange might look nice. Or maybe all black wih orange servings. Or if you don't like orange, use a bright blue or chartreuse. Thats it! Electric blue and black with electric blue servings.

You'll probably think of something you like. Just post some pics for us, OK?

Just a question; why do you shoot off the serving? I always prefer the loop myself. Is there an advantage to the serving? Or is it just because you need the DL.

Alec

I shoot off the serving because I use a rope release. Cascade model 8 to be exact. I don't like wrist/calipers as most can't be adjusted short enough for me to keep from being overstretched. I even tried a Short and Sweet a couple years ago with a loop, but made it as short as I could and still didn't feel comfortable, so went back to old reliable.

Once the weather warms up and I sell some junk off I might try a loop again with a Cascade Saturday Night Special. I'm a little limited on what releases I can use because I have small hands and most everything feels too big for me. I like small where I can wrap my hand around the thing and feel like I'm pulling through with a BT release.

You know? That comfort thing.

coachjdub
01-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Any chance you could post a picture of your contrasting riser and limb set-up?

bfisher
01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Any chance you could post a picture of your contrasting riser and limb set-up?

Hadn't given it a thought, but yeah, I might.

scepterman30x
01-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Guess what finally arrived at my house today? OK, don't guess. I'll tell you.
My new Black riser, camo limbed, wooden side plate (grip) MOAB.

It wasn't quite like I ordered though. I wanted 26.5" draw length and it had an F5 mod on it. Oh well, I'll cut them some slack on that one. Finish looks real good and the black/camo makes a nice contrast. Although I didn't specify such they had the foresight to put Elite strings from Stone Mountain on the bow.

After going over it and checking for draw length, setting the weight, and checking for cam lean I got to installing stuff. For now the sight will be a Spot Hogg Real Deal. The rest is a WB on a Martin lock mount.

That's about it. I wanted to get it set up for wednesday night and see how it shoots out at my club. Just put on a simple tied-on nock set (I don't use a loop), and no peep sight till the strings are broken in. My first goal is to set it up to the same specs as my FireCat and compare the speed difference and generally just get a feel for the bow.

Knowing me, once it's all tuned up and chrono'd I'll put my Infiniti drop away on it. Maybe the Hogg-It sight. Might even throw my 30" Carbon Doinker on it for a while.

It'll be a while, but I'll try to remember and post a report on what this bow is like in my eyes and how it performs.

Barry

Slack! Don't cut them no slack. I have been shooting for Martin since 2003 and I would love to order my/a bow and get it like I order it. The last bow I ordered I ordered for my wife and I ordered a 2009 MOAB with mini M pro cams at 25" draw (a #2 mod)guess what it came with?...you guessed it a #5 mod which made it 28.5" on the longest peg. Luckily I had a pack of mods.
I also thought it was supposed to come with a package of mods.
Don't get me wrong I have always been treated like a king by Martin but I would like to know where the "I will give the customer exactly what he ordered" begins and ends in the chain at the Martin factory.

flytier17
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I seriously wish both you guys would quit complaining! You get a free new bow every year!

Do you know how much I would like even 1 free bow in my lifetime? I'm selling my Pantera, and will not be able to keep my S4 because I ned the money to keep my other 2 bows running the way I want it. I am borrowing an S4, and if I like it, I have the option to buty it for a great price in April. However, right now I can't even afford that. As much as I like spots, I am going to have to keep 2 bows only. My Slayer first; I will part with that bow only when I am dead. And I prefer shooting 3-D over spots, so I will keep the Cougar III over the Scepter IV. When I sell the Pantera, I will use the money to get some REAL accessories for the Cougar III. The Slayer is already just how I like it. As much as I would like a Scepter, I can't afford it.

I guess thats the downside of having a lot of expensive hobbies, and being 18 with university next year doesn't help either.

dbd870
01-29-2009, 06:43 AM
I don't get any freebies - in fact I've only done 1 custom order - yep, it came in wrong; not the grips we ordered. I think the guys have a valid point.

scepterman30x
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I seriously wish both you guys would quit complaining! You get a free new bow every year!

Do you know how much I would like even 1 free bow in my lifetime? I'm selling my Pantera, and will not be able to keep my S4 because I ned the money to keep my other 2 bows running the way I want it. I am borrowing an S4, and if I like it, I have the option to buty it for a great price in April. However, right now I can't even afford that. As much as I like spots, I am going to have to keep 2 bows only. My Slayer first; I will part with that bow only when I am dead. And I prefer shooting 3-D over spots, so I will keep the Cougar III over the Scepter IV. When I sell the Pantera, I will use the money to get some REAL accessories for the Cougar III. The Slayer is already just how I like it. As much as I would like a Scepter, I can't afford it.

I guess thats the downside of having a lot of expensive hobbies, and being 18 with university next year doesn't help either.

You do have a valid point...we should feel pretty lucky. I guess thats why I am more than willing to help those in need when I am able to do so.

bfisher
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Slack! Don't cut them no slack. I have been shooting for Martin since 2003 and I would love to order my/a bow and get it like I order it. The last bow I ordered I ordered for my wife and I ordered a 2009 MOAB with mini M pro cams at 25" draw (a #2 mod)guess what it came with?...you guessed it a #5 mod which made it 28.5" on the longest peg. Luckily I had a pack of mods.
I also thought it was supposed to come with a package of mods.
Don't get me wrong I have always been treated like a king by Martin but I would like to know where the "I will give the customer exactly what he ordered" begins and ends in the chain at the Martin factory.

Who riled you up? Just kidding. I know what you are saying about a custom order, but I should have mentioned that I have never seen a Martin bow get shipped without the pack of mods, This one was no exception. They're easy to change, as you know.

All is well with the bow. I just have to get a chance to shoot it more. Was going to go to the club last night, but 4" of new snow and then freezing rain and sleet on top of that put a damper on the travel.

bfisher
01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I just want you guys to know that I am not complaining. I was just posting information as to what my observations have been so far. Just conveying all the details.

Whenever I get a bow and it's not just so-so I've always been taken care of very quickly just by contacting Joel. And it's always just been minor things like the grip. No big deal.

Alec, calm yourself. You're 18 and have the rest of your life ahead of you. Believe me, archery isn't the be-all end-all. Just enjoy what you can do with the sport. And get that education.........

Barry

flytier17
01-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Someday i might have the experience to become a martin Staff shooter. till then, I will have to rant and rave and drool on everyone elses freebies:D

How do you think the Cougar III will shoot spots? It is set up for 3-D only. Is it adviseable to shoot league with a 3-D bow, or should I wait until I can buy a Scepter? I don't want to learn bat spots shooting habits from trying to use equipment for a purpose other than intended...

Scepterman; do you get a Scepter every year? Or do you own other Martins as well.

if I got a free bow every year, I wouldn't be able to afford the accessories and arrows for all of them either. I have to admit; it will be nice when I can focus entirely on tuning and shooting 2 bows only. I hate sacrificing the accessories I want to keep 3 bows running. All said and done, I think I would still like to have a spots bow. League nights for me are a lot of fun, and after I got the Scepter, I actually started beating my friends on occasion! It would be nice to keep that running.

Barry; I know the feeling about the weather. We have had about 3 feet of snow here i the last 2 days. Nonstop snow. I've been shooting a feed bag stuffed with saran wrap in the basement for the past month. besides league of course.

Alec

scepterman30x
01-30-2009, 07:19 AM
I just want you guys to know that I am not complaining. I was just posting information as to what my observations have been so far. Just conveying all the details.

Whenever I get a bow and it's not just so-so I've always been taken care of very quickly just by contacting Joel. And it's always just been minor things like the grip. No big deal.

Alec, calm yourself. You're 18 and have the rest of your life ahead of you. Believe me, archery isn't the be-all end-all. Just enjoy what you can do with the sport. And get that education.........

Barry Double Ditto!

but the comment about archery not being the "be-all end-all" Perish the thought! Archery is the Alpha and Omega for me. My reason for being...in all seriousness it is not but it is pretty high on my list.:D

scepterman30x
01-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Someday i might have the experience to become a martin Staff shooter. till then, I will have to rant and rave and drool on everyone elses freebies:D

How do you think the Cougar III will shoot spots? It is set up for 3-D only. Is it adviseable to shoot league with a 3-D bow, or should I wait until I can buy a Scepter? I don't want to learn bat spots shooting habits from trying to use equipment for a purpose other than intended...

Scepterman; do you get a Scepter every year? Or do you own other Martins as well.
if I got a free bow every year, I wouldn't be able to afford the accessories and arrows for all of them either. I have to admit; it will be nice when I can focus entirely on tuning and shooting 2 bows only. I hate sacrificing the accessories I want to keep 3 bows running. All said and done, I think I would still like to have a spots bow. League nights for me are a lot of fun, and after I got the Scepter, I actually started beating my friends on occasion! It would be nice to keep that running.

Barry; I know the feeling about the weather. We have had about 3 feet of snow here i the last 2 days. Nonstop snow. I've been shooting a feed bag stuffed with saran wrap in the basement for the past month. besides league of course.

Alec

I have gotten others but I usually traded them for Scepters. I guess you can say I am addicted to them. I just love the way they feel. However I do have a SlayR with Z cams for hunting and I do have a M-2000 cougar with Elite limbs and NOS A cams...had Z's when I got it in I believe 1999. It was the bow that started the "addiction" for me. I have spanked some serious arse with that bow. I will be competing in my first ASA tourney in Gainsville Fl. this weekend mainly on the request of a friend who will remain anonymous (Joe Heist) and I will be using my M-2000 cougarand I hope it continues its legacy as an arse spanker.

bfisher
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Welll................. so much for anonymous. Wish you well in Gainsville.

Barry

scepterman30x
01-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks a bunch.

flytier17
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, good luck with the shoot.

My favorite bow is by far the Slayer. Like you are with the Scepters, I just love the way it shoots. Unfortunately, it is not forgiving enough for competitive 3-D, so I hunt with it, and shoot 3-D for fun with it. I shoot it more than any other bow though, and shot a 287 15X with it on a Vegas face in league last year. I know 287 isn't the best, but with superslim FMJ's and a hunting bow and a dropaway rest, I am not dissatisfied.

Archery being the be-all-and-end-all? Well, as much as I like it, my fly tying and fly fishing come first. After that; archery, with hunting below that as one more fun thing I can do with my bows.

How different is a Cougar 2000 from a Cougar III? Besides 1997 of course:D

Alec

scepterman30x
01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, good luck with the shoot.

My favorite bow is by far the Slayer. Like you are with the Scepters, I just love the way it shoots. Unfortunately, it is not forgiving enough for competitive 3-D, so I hunt with it, and shoot 3-D for fun with it. I shoot it more than any other bow though, and shot a 287 15X with it on a Vegas face in league last year. I know 287 isn't the best, but with superslim FMJ's and a hunting bow and a dropaway rest, I am not dissatisfied.

Archery being the be-all-and-end-all? Well, as much as I like it, my fly tying and fly fishing come first. After that; archery, with hunting below that as one more fun thing I can do with my bows.

How different is a Cougar 2000 from a Cougar III? Besides 1997 of course:D

Alec
It has a 17 degree grip rather than a 23 degree like the C3 has and the grip sits a tad lower than the middle of the bow as compared to the Scepters.
So compared to the Scepters it has the same grip angle but the grip sits about an inch lower so basicly it puts the burger hole closer to the middle of the bow.