PDA

View Full Version : Fishing arrows?

legolas
01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Would anyone give me an idea about what type of arrow shaft I can use with my Martin Saber to bowfish? I used to use a solid fiberglass shaft with my old recurve, but I'm really hesitant to fire it from my compound. I've seen stop action photos of fiberglass arrows shot from a compound. The point of the arrow hasn't left the riser when the string had fully returned to its resting position upon firing the bow (it was curved up like a semi-circle). That scares the cr*p out of me. Are there solid carbon shafts you can buy or do you go to aluminum? Can you just put a fishing point on a carbon arrow shaft? I would think you've got to have a shaft with some heft to it to penetrate the water and the fish.....

thanks
legolas

alex
01-28-2009, 06:15 AM
I think the carbon arrows are too light for bowfishing.The fiberglass should be ok-may be the one you have seen was shot from a powerfull bow -60 or 70#, as far as i know for bowfishing you need 40-45#,max 55#.May be aluminium arrow will be good if you put some extra weight inside it.All this is just guessing-i've never bowfished :)

dbd870
01-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Last time I bowfished was with a 47# recurve using a solid glass arrow. Can't help you.

b0w_bender
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Solid Fiberglass is the ticket
you can get them at nearly any bowfishing store
including the martin site.

The Garpoon Chisel Tip
that martin has on their store site is the best I have ever used! they allow you to get the fish off the arrow with minimal effort. When you are shooting more than 20 fish a day that is a big big deal!

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=579/189.0.5882.0.0.0.0