PDA

View Full Version : Removing a stripped set module screw...

SandSquid
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Getting ready for the replacement modules for my cracked Nitrous X Modules (http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=4031) to arrive, I found the recessed socket head of the center pivot screw to be stripped. In fact most of the were tenuous at best. Mor evidence that the ham-fisted goober at the old pro shop we used should have his wrenches and nock pliers taken away from him. He's probably working at a Sp*rtm@n'sW@r&h*^se or a B@ssPr*Sh*p now anyway...

Now, this may be the wrong way to do this, but it worked well for me.

I held the cam in my machinist vice and judiciously applied an abrasive cut-off wheel to the screw head until I had penetrated down below the shoulder of the screw head and into the shaft.

The (now) two halves of the screw head can be easily removed and the module lifted right off the assembly. The remainder of the screws shaft twisted right out with light finger pressure.

See illustrative photographs below:

SandSquid
01-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Can one of the moderators fix the title to read
"Removing a stripped module set screw..."

Robert58
01-30-2009, 05:12 PM
The next time you have a striped screw head. Buy a left hand drill bit the same diameter as the OD of the screw body and drill the head off with a 3/8" reversable drill. Most times before you drill through the head it will grab and back the screw out. That way you will not damage the cam.

Robert

SandSquid
01-30-2009, 08:10 PM
The next time you have a striped screw head. Buy a left hand drill bit the same diameter as the OD of the screw body and drill the head off with a 3/8" reversable drill. Most times before you drill through the head it will grab and back the screw out. That way you will not damage the cam.

Robert

Good advice!
Under normal circumstances, I'l have used an EZ-out.... The two things I had working for, or against, me, I have to do everything one-handed(*) for the next several months.. an the module was already butched, so I didn't care if I buggered it up any more, I just wanted that screw OUT.

* Hasn't stopped me from shooting though!
See post titled:" Martin Mouth Bow "

Robert58
01-30-2009, 08:44 PM
That's true. But when I finally found some 65% Mini Mods, when I went to remove the 75% Mods the socket shattered in the screw and I sure didn't want to damage the mods when I was removing them.

Robert