PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah Questions

jujuscisyn
02-02-2009, 08:41 AM
I just shortened my draw length on my 08 cheetah from 28" to 27.5" with the pegs on the cam. My face mask in frigid Illinois was throwing my point of impact off by 8" at 20 yrds. So i shortened to get the string off my face. Question is how far can I tighten the limbs down to compensate for the shortened draw? Can they be safely bottomed out? I know the question has been asked hundreds of times and the answers seem bow specific based on limb and pocket design. Next question is would there be any benefit to returning the bow to 28" dl and adjusting the draw stop down? Would this avoid the change in stored energy. This may sound a bit nit piky but id like to take advantage of any potential the bow may have. 08 cheetah 70# limbs

SandSquid
02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Can they be safely bottomed out?

I have always been told and faithfully followed the advice to: crank them all the way down until they bottom out, and then back off 1/4 turn

bfisher
02-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Apparently you had the limbs backed off some before making the draw length change, so it is OK to crank the limbs in further to gain back the draw weight lost. Afterall, that's what the limb bolts are for. How far? All the way down if you so desire.

Every bow I've ever taken out of a box has had the limb bolts bottomed so apparently th factory seems to think it's acceptable. As Sandsquid says, you can back them off a quarter turn although I'm not sure if this helps with anything, but it can't hurt either. A quarter turn is only going to amount to one pound or a little less anyway.

You could also do as you asked about putting the 28" mod back in and moving the draw stop. The result will be less letoff because the bow will never reach it's valley, but it'll give you a very solid wall to pull against if that will work for you. You have nothing to lose by trying and see how it feels. Just be sure and mark where the draw stop is now so you can change it back.

jujuscisyn
02-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Thank you, like I said a bit nit piky but I'll try it both ways and see what works best for me.

bfisher
02-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you, like I said a bit nit piky but I'll try it both ways and see what works best for me.

Not a thing wrong with being nit-picky. Thinking and then turning your thought into action is how you'll fiund out most of this stuff. That's how I've been doing it for 35 years.