PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to change the cable slide..

hunt123
02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know if there's a cable slide replacement available anywhere for my 2008 Martin Bengal that's quieter than the factory version? Maybe some kind of pulley version or different material?

bfisher
02-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Why, what's wrong with the factory model? You could check Lancaster's catalog (on-line) and see what they have in Teflon models. I'd stay away from anything with rollers. I tried one made by Saunders several years ago and it wasn't the best idea. Moving parts meant more noise.

Just a note, but if yours is squeaking or chattering then maybe all you need to do is clean the rod and the inside of the slide with alcohol. Don't use any type of lube as this draws grit which causes most of the problems.

hunt123
02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
It's a brand new bow. Only fired it a few times at the archery shop while getting everything set. I'm waiting on a sight to arrive via UPS and I'll draw the bow back every now and then while I'm waiting just because I'm wanting to shoot it bad. (I DO NOT release the string or use a release, just fingers, then let it down slowly).

But it seems like a quiet scraping sound I'm hearing (that's the best I can describe it) is coming from the string going through the slide. So I thought that there might be something else that was quieter. The Bow Turbow device is rollers, but I've heard that Martin doesn't advise it?

brushrat
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
my 08 bengal made a similar noise it turned out to be a 2-part problem. My idler had a little too much lean and was knawing away at my string. After some very good help from this post , i was able to correct that. Between that and some additional shooting to "seat" everything in , the problem went away.

Now i wouldn't take a million bucks for my bengal!:p

Doberman55
02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Alpine archery makes a sweet cable slide. It's teflon and lined with rubber dampening material for quietness. You can also attach a drop away rest to it. I've got one and it's quite nice

hunt123
02-07-2009, 12:16 PM
my 08 bengal made a similar noise it turned out to be a 2-part problem. My idler had a little too much lean and was knawing away at my string. After some very good help from this post , i was able to correct that. Between that and some additional shooting to "seat" everything in , the problem went away.

Now i wouldn't take a million bucks for my bengal!:p

Lancaster Archery told me to wear it in for 50 - 100 shots and see if that helps. OK, I'll do that. Now about the idler lean, could you tell me where the thread is you're referring to? I'd like to see if that's contributing to the noise.

Likewise, I love my Bengal. Tremendous value for the money.

hunt123
02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Alpine archery makes a sweet cable slide. It's teflon and lined with rubber dampening material for quietness. You can also attach a drop away rest to it. I've got one and it's quite nice
I went to their website to look at it. Are you talking about their Mach 5? I might get one, they're not too expensive. What are those 6 little rubber fingers for? Just looks? They look too small to have any real function.

brushrat
02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
after you get about 200-300 shots through your bow, you will start to notice you're string getting a little fuzzy where it goes around your idler pulley...... if you have excessive cam (pulley) lean. If you don't have obvious signs of wear on your string you probably don't have excessive lean and the sound your hearing is most likely not caused by the string comming off the pulley at a severe angle. I can tell you though...the cable slide that came with my bengal is whisper quiet.