PDA

View Full Version : Questions, Questions, Questions

jayharrison
02-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Brand New to recurves so I am going to need alot of help. I have a Martin Hunter with the following markings on it: 55#, 28" HH3215 62"

I asume the 55# is the poundage of the bow, the 28" is the draw length or the draw length at which the bow reached 55#, have no idea what the HH 3215 is and 62" is the overall length of the bow?

I have two batches of arrows to get started with. The first group is Eastons XX75 2216 Lite at 27" and the second group is Eastons xx752213 Superlites. while neither may be the optimum for the bows weight this is what I have to get started. All arrows have 5" factory vains but I can refletch those if needed to feathers. Assuming I use a 100 grn. tip, which one would be better? Should I increase the tip weight?

I plan to use this for indoor/outdoor range shooting at first but you never know where it will go.

Any and All help to this newbe is greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay Harrison
Waterford, MI

flytier17
02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
nor muchof a recurve shooter myself; but i'll do what i can.

62" is indeed the AMO length of the bow.

You can draw the bow to as far as you need too, but at 28" is where it will be 55lbs. I may be getting a hunter myself soon, and I draw 33" with fingers.

I would personally use 125gr. -150gr. tips. With a recurve, the arrow is not coming off the bow perfectly straight. Unlike a tuned compound. It will make the fletches easier to steer the arrow with a higher FOC. I'd use 150gr. tips.

With 100gr. tips, use the 2213 shafts, provided they are also 27" long. They are what is reccomended by the eason shaft calculator, so no need to change for now.

With 150 tips, you would be better off with the 2216 shafts. they will be a shade too stiff, but so little I would not be worried at all.

I would definetly refletch with 5" shield cut feathers, and full helical.

HH3215 is the serial #. HH stands for Howatt Hunter, and 3215 if the production #. (I think; at least that is how it was explained to me)

Alec

jayharrison
02-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I would like the heavier tip anyways in case I ever do decide to hunt.

I guess the only thing left is to get out and give it a try.

Thanks again,

Jay

flytier17
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
If you ever hunt with it, the higher FOC balance will help steer the broadhead better as well. With a welltuned compound, it doesn't take much fletch to correct flight, but with a recurve where the arrow is not being shot perfectly straight, it makes it harder for the fletches to correct the arrows flight.

Again; I'm not a trad shooter, but from what I have seen on other peoples posts, tips on aluminm hunting arrows are sometimes 180-220grs.

Have fun,
Alec