PDA

View Full Version : are fobs for real or are they a joke????

brushrat
02-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Has anyone had any experience good or bad, with shooting fixed blade broadheads with Fobs. I have seen a few videos on "youtube" and they seem to shoot straight enough, but you never see any of the pros using them, such as professional whitetail hunting shooters like Jay gregory, micheal waddle, Lee & Tiffany , etc.)

Are they any kind of substitute for 4 or 5" helical vanes or feathers?

bfisher
02-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I wonder about them, too, although I'm not going to waste my time with them. For one thing you must use a drop-away rest and I don't always use a drop away. The added weight on the back of the arrow is my biggest reservation. It has to upset the FOC, depending on the weight of the shaft.

They might work OK, but the reason you don't see any professional hunters using them is most likely that they aren't being paid big money to promote them. You don't think all those logo's you see in those videos come for free so you?

brushrat
02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
yea...i agree Bfisher, apparently Starrbright is not willing to pony up any sponsorship money to any of them. Sad but true,if you don't massively dump money into advertising ( "Mathews archery" ) , it can take a very long time for your product to take off. Hopefully there are some folks out there that have experiences with them using fixed blades and would be willing to share that, even if they don't see them on TV every weekend. They are fairly new....and are very non-conventional. I guess i'm kind of a sucker for new products . If they stack up ,i might bite. Dunno.

anyone?

bfisher
02-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh, there is no doubt that money talks, especially when it comes to marketing. I can give an example. I ran into this little Italian guy back in 1993 that asked me what I thought of this new fangled rest he had devised, and presumeably patented.

Well, me being a conventional type guy took one look and thought " You gotta be out of your mind", although I didn't say it. I did introduce him to a new friend of mine with some connections in the archery industry. This guy's name is Sherwood Schock. I don't think he saw much good about the rest either.

Now let's fast foreward about 10 years. Seems Muzzy put up some money and we now know this very popular drop away as the Muzzy Zero Effect.

razorjack
02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Iam all for archery gear improvements but ill stick with my plastic vanes.if your bow is in tune most good broad heads will fly true.
I really think fobs are on par with turbo knocks and will follow the same path.

brushrat
02-14-2009, 08:12 PM
i don't know what happened to "turbo-noc" .......did they go under? If fobs are not any improvement over vanes and feathers then ,yea maybe their fate is shortlived as well, dunno.......but i would still like to hear from someone that has actually used them. Nobody just bursting at the seams with enthusiasm ,after having discovered them??????

bowgramp59
02-15-2009, 06:24 PM
they push them over at archery talk a little. i personally like fletching my on arrows, it gives me a lot of satasfaction watching an arrow that i fletched myself go down range 30 yards and hit what i'm aiming at, most of the time. i really don't like the looks of the fob, so i think i will stay with the 4" dura vanes and the 2" blazers.:)
'

brushrat
02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
i too have had good luck with the 4 and 5" duravanes. They slow the arrow down a bit....... but nobody's told the deer that!
To be honest, i have not had as much luck with the 2" blazers controlling fixed blades as other folks say they have. They all seem to work just fine for shooting field tips.

I would have thought there are people out there, with short AtA bows with very short brace heights that would be all over a product that could (might?) make their hunting arrows more controllable. :confused:

C Bailey
02-16-2009, 01:41 AM
The great thing about the fob is that the manufacturing process for that little piece of plastic eliminates the inconsistency of the fletching process. Bowgramp59 writes them off because he takes pride in his fletching skills. I'm sure there are guys out there who will say the same about sticking with their handmade arrows or maybe their handmade longbows rather than trying the innovative alternative. That's cool; I admire such skills. I'm not very good at fletching an arrow and have found the fob to fly great and generally be quite convenient. In particular, the cross-wind resistance is helpful.

The greatest drawback of the fob is that they require a drop-away rest, which is probably a big knock for the old-school types. The drop away needs to be timed perfectly, as the hard plastic of the fob is not too forgiving. Oh, and they bust pretty easy when you start hitting them by shooting at the same spot. They certainly aren't for everyone, but I think they are a great little invention.

Desmond
02-16-2009, 06:08 AM
I really don't like the fact that they come off the arrow once the arrow pass through the game.

brushrat
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
c bailey .....have you ever used them for fixed blades ? I understand they make 2 sizes, one for target points and one for broadheads ,is that correct? if so,which size do you use? thanks

C Bailey
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
They only make one size right now, but I believe they are working on a small diameter version specifically for target archery. Maybe they are finished with that. I don't think they will catch on as much for 3d, but I'm sure a few people will use them for target. There was a thread on archery talk about how a guy using fobs took 2nd place in the bowhunter class in Vegas. Not a huge deal, but I'd say that the idea of them being a joke has passed.

I use them for fixed blade broadheads, most recently the 4-blade, large diameter Grizztricks. They handle them nicely.

c bailey .....have you ever used them for fixed blades ? I understand they make 2 sizes, one for target points and one for broadheads ,is that correct? if so,which size do you use? thanks

jbowers12
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
:DNothing against the fob's but i have always liked the real vanes.:cool: It wouldn't feel like bowhunting if you had a hard peice of plastic at the knock of ur arrow.They might be ok with 3d, but i will stay with 4"duravanes or blazers.:D

gman57
04-13-2009, 08:28 AM
:)Okay Im a fobbie and I think they are great I used to fletch all my arrows also and enjoyed doing it.When I first saw the Fobs I said uuugly and not for me but curiosity got the better of me and I tried them and after getting used to the different look I found them to my liking,nothing ground shaking but I felt I was more consistant and my broad heads flew nice. I used to be anal about foc of the arrow and asked the inventor (Paul)about this he responded FOBs know nothing about foc,not to worry. I never gave another thought to foc and any head I put on them flies great, really. I sold all my vanes and feathers and jigs I didnt use and just kept 1 Bitz in case FOBs come to an end. They are not for everyone but the way I got hooked on FOBs was just about the same way I switched from Mathews to Martin .After reading all the good hype on the Firecat I bought one without ever seeing one in person or shooting one and loved it first time I shot it. You dont know till you try.. and the customer service is like Martins Paul is hands on and right there to help...:D

davydtune
04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
They steer an arrow extremely well, especially in a high cross wind. Are they better than standard fetching? In some instances yes and others no.

I still use vanes most of the time, I just can't get past the look of an arrow with a FOB, they're ugly.:p Kinda of a silly reason not to shoot them I guess. They do offer outstanding accuracy and I wouldn't be afraid to use them on a hunt.

davydtune
04-13-2009, 02:05 PM
They only make one size right now, but I believe they are working on a small diameter version specifically for target archery. Maybe they are finished with that. I don't think they will catch on as much for 3d, but I'm sure a few people will use them for target. There was a thread on archery talk about how a guy using fobs took 2nd place in the bowhunter class in Vegas. Not a huge deal, but I'd say that the idea of them being a joke has passed.

I use them for fixed blade broadheads, most recently the 4-blade, large diameter Grizztricks. They handle them nicely.

Actually they make different sizes.;) I have ones that fit GTs and smaller ones that fix Axis.

jbowers12
04-13-2009, 05:04 PM
If i ever shot fobs i would makem look nice. I could make my arrow still look good. I always fletch with flo orange wrap and flo yello vanes with a yellow nock. All i would do is put a yellow fob on as the vanes and it still would look good. Or white crest and nock with pink fob. that would probly look good.:D

Crazy_Boxer
04-15-2009, 03:22 PM
I shoot them with Slick Tricks and they fly great. Here's a couple pic's of my FOB's.

Striker
05-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Here is a great review by Jason Blalazs back in 2006

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/Jason_Balazs_75/Field_Evaluation_-_FOB.shtml

I used to FOB all my shafts, as there are good points about the FOB and there are bad points about the FOB.

http://www.starrflight.com/

Target shooting you only want to use one arrow per spot target that your shooting at or you will blow these things up if you group your arrows. Paul has suggested to use a shoot thru mesh to your FOBs will drop off during penetration of the mesh. This also simulates what happens in the field when having a pass through on game. The FOB drops at the shot, and marks the spot where the game animal was standing.

No, you can not use a Whisker Biscuit rest while using the FOB, and for some this is a draw back. If you use Carbon Express Arrows that have the Bulldog Nok Collar, you can not use them.

There are some plus and minus issues when using FOB's:

I once shot an arrow in 18* Montana cold weather. My arrow shaft hit a small twig that I had not seen. The FOB hit the twig just right and shattered, on impact. This of course was address to Paul at Starflight and he replaced the damage FOB.

You can not use these to shoot thru your ground blind window mesh, as the FOB will drop off inside your ground blind.

On the plus side of things, I can only say that Todd Johnston shooting of the FOB's in a Montana cross wind are right on the money with just how these fly thru a cross wind. See the video at the http://www.starrflight.com

If you do decide to use the FOB, I would highly recomend a good visable arrow wrap for your shafts.

hunt123
05-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Pretty accurate in the right hands but uuuugly! 3 shots in the kill zone at 100 yds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0-jKmvCCI

recondoc
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Tried them for a while. When I finally got my rest timed right (I had to readjust my center shot) they flew OK. Nothing as spectacular as what I was seeing on Youtube. I did end of with the back of two shafts cracked on pass throughs.
I also prefer the look and feel of good old feathers. So many combinations, so little time. I keep my fletching jig going good these days.

brushrat
05-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Sounds like an honest reponse from someone that has actually used them. I sort of concluded that also.(that they are ok....but don't re-define the world of archery).

I'm not sure i followed the part about broken arrows on pass throughs. (?):confused:

Tried them for a while. When I finally got my rest timed right (I had to readjust my center shot) they flew OK. Nothing as spectacular as what I was seeing on Youtube. I did end of with the back of two shafts cracked on pass throughs.
I also prefer the look and feel of good old feathers. So many combinations, so little time. I keep my fletching jig going good these days.

Z-Rider
05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
I shoot them and love them. Tuned super easy and they do what they say. Any one with tuning issues just needs to contact Paul and he wiil get you shooting them in no time.

Are they for everyone? No, but neither is a dropaway rest or a compound bow.