PDA

View Full Version : New Martin user...

guitar309
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi, so it sounds crazy but I haven't shot a bow in 11 years and decided to get into shooting... so... I bought a 08 slayer new int he box on ebay about 3 months ago and has just sat there... I have been reading a bunch about different products trying to find out what I should use... so yesterday I took my bow to the local shop and had them set it up... they didn't have much to choose from so I just got a few things to get me started until I decided what I wanted...

soooo... the question is...

what are your thoughts on rests?? I had originally thought about a qad ultra rest... but read a few bad reviews here and there about them... what about the Limb Driver I have been hearing that is the way to go! right now I just had them throw on a whisker biscuit to get me by but don't think I want to keep it...

now.. the next question sights... now when I was younger I was a great instinct shooter.. and never really liked the idea of using a peep sight.. I went ahead and got the truglo 3 pin and a 1/8th peep.... but what does everyone recommend... has anyone used a pollington red dot sight? I have heard great things about it and like the idea of how it helps your forum and you can keep both eyes open...

any ideas on a great set up would help a ton!!!

seems like it all boils down to own personal opinions ... but I would like to here them

Jake-the-snake
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Well to start off you have a great bow!!, But you do need to upgrade in my opinion, for a rest, the QAD is a good rest, but the best one i have seen, even though i dont have it, is the limbsaver fall away, its super quiet, and very durable...onto sights, I would go with the HHA OL-5000, this sight is a single pin slider sight, so you can set all the yardages you want with one pin, and with one pin you dont have to worry about mixing up the other 3 or 5 pins on your sight. for more info on this and other HHA sights go to.....
hhasports.com :cool::D:D

One other question, what kind of arrows do you plan on using?? and is this for hunting or targets?

cptleo1
03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
the HHA OL 5519 is hard to beat.

It is built like a tank

The single pin is the way to go !

As far as the peep goes - THROW IT AWAY.

Put a kisser button on it and touch the string to your nose.

You give up virtually no accuracy @ 35 yds and you eliminate the low light problems and don't have to worry about twisted strings.

For Eastern hunting situations the peep is more a liability than a help.

I threw mine away 35 years ago and never looked back.

Welcome back to the fold !

Desmond
03-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi there guitar309!

I started bowhunting just a few years ago and also have a Slayer. There are tons of choices of sights/rest out there. My advice to you is to first think what is it you really want to use your bow for and the frequency you'll be using it. I say this cause' I've seen people who "waste" lots of money on buying the latest/most expensive in equipment every year for their bows and still are not proficient shooters/hunters.

When I started, my first bow (Martin Tracer 03') I had a single pin Tru glo sight on it with the two prong rest from factory on it. I upgraded the sight pin with a Tritium pin which made a huge difference on almost dark light conditions.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/DSC00034.jpg

Then when I bought the PHANTOM II and equipped it with the Vital Gear Pro Slide .019 single pin and a NAP Quicktune 2000 rest. I thought the rest was a bit noisy!!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/DSC00023.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/DSC00024.jpg

alex
03-01-2009, 08:22 AM
About the Pollington red dot sight- i also like it a lot, but unforunately they aren't sold here in Bulgaria, so i made one myself. It is really good and the shooting is easier and as accurate as with a peep and pin.I haven't tried it with my MOAB, because i've tuned it for my older bow, but i'm sure it will work great. The Pollington system is about 130$, but mine costed me less then 20$, because i've had the red dot sight. If you want you can watch my Youtube video with the red dot sight :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNU5EfkWefM&feature=channel_page

Desmond
03-01-2009, 08:22 AM
On my Slayer, I tried the DMI Expert II rest three years ago and love it!! It's easy to adjust and it's almost 100% noise free. The arrow slides on rubber different from the rests in the market. Now under G5, you can get them in camo also.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/DSC00326.jpg

As for a bow sight , I have two. One for 3D (which I haven't been in one.LOL!! which is the Spott Hogg 7 .009 pins Hog -it Hunter ) and a Copper John Dead Nuts 2 Micro 4 Sight with .019 pins.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/DSC00325.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/00437-2.jpg

Hope this can help you somehow!! :D

guitar309
03-01-2009, 10:56 AM
as for the questions on what I am going to do with the bow... I am looking forward to shooting at least once a week... we will see how much time i have but I would like to start shooting often but will also be using it as a hunting bow....

as for the arrows... I will have to get back to you on that one... I bought a few and can't remember the name the where the most expensive he had and where 350 grain... (I dropped my bow of Friday and will pick it up tomorrow)

hope that clears things up! I will defiantly look into some of the products you guys are talking about!

Big Ben 75
03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I like ripcord rest and apex sights

guitar309
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
ok... so I am torn between 2 rests at the moment.... the limb driver and the g5 expert 2... what do you think?

Big Ben 75
03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
limb driver

Desmond
03-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Expert II! :D

guitar309
03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
so an update on my slayer!!! I finally got to shot it today at my local shop! Like I said before.. not knowing what kind of drop away I was going to use I just settled for the whisker biscuit... and some truglo sights... I just wanted to start shooting and then can upgrade later... anyway.. I was pretty nervous because I haven't shot a bow since I was 14 and never have used a peep... anyway.. we started off at 10 yards.. and made a few adjustments and a few lessons on how to anchor and hold the bow.. and bam!! I was hitting the target pretty well from 20 yards.. the targets where blue with a white center...and most of my arrows where going in the white... so I can't complain.. lol looking forward to really getting some shooting time in... I have never shot many other bows but the guy at the shop was impressed by the slayer :)

flytier17
03-03-2009, 06:45 AM
The Slayer is a fantastic bow. My personal favorite.

Spot-Hogg makes some of the best accessories money can buy. You won't find better durability, and they have the best warrenty out there. I use all my rests and sights from them.

Alec

Desmond
03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
so an update on my slayer!!! I finally got to shot it today at my local shop! I was hitting the target pretty well from 20 yards.. the targets where blue with a white center...and most of my arrows where going in the white... so I can't complain.. lol looking forward to really getting some shooting time in... I have never shot many other bows but the guy at the shop was impressed by the slayer :)

Awesome!! Hope to see some pics next season of fallen victims of that SLAYER!! :cool:

guitar309
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
actually I am going to practice the next few weeks and try my hand at taking it turkey hunting... I have my gun permit but I think I would have more fun with the bow... :D

delmarduck
03-04-2009, 10:59 PM
My bow is set up with the QAD Ultra Rest (no complaints yet), and a Copper John Dead Nuts 2 Micro (awsome sight). I also did away with my peep about a year ago and ended up buying an Anchor Sight from Archery Inovations. (Love It)

guitar309
03-05-2009, 07:50 AM
ok... so this is a stupid question... but since I just started maybe someone could help... so my bow is set up with a 1/8th peep... and when I look threw it I can't see the actual housing of the sights.. so I try to estimate the center of the pins .. basically the whole point of a peep is to center one circle (the peep) with the other circle (housing of the sight) right?

so....

my question is... would it be to my advantage to get a larger peep so I could actually see the whole housing of the sight so I would line up the housing of the sight inside the peep?? do you understand what I mean?? lol:confused:

alex
03-05-2009, 09:13 AM
It's not absolutely obligatory the both rings to coincide(sorry if i don't use the correct english verb :o ). Try some shots and see where is the exact point.With my peep the sight ring must be a little in right. Ufhhh, i guess this has no meaning in english, but hope you will understand it. ;)

badger561
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I use a copper john as well and a 1/8th inch peepsite and I havent experiance your issues. I can see the ring on the site good, maybe your peep isnt lined up right? when you draw you bow have some one watch your peep and see if its turned to the side a little, if it is play with your release loop to adjust it.

flytier17
03-05-2009, 09:28 AM
To line the rim of the pin guard up with the peep apeture is optimal. Scope shooters do this exclusively. It is more consistent and accurate than centering the pin, no matter how small the peep. Also, for hunting, you will have a clearer sight picture i lowlight.

I buy all my peeps in micro size, and drill them out as necessary depending on the bow/sight combo. I always guardshoot. I never center the pin.

Alec

guitar309
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
yeah.. basically what I am saying is I can't see the sight housing threw my peep... when I look threw it the hole in the peep is smaller than the site housing.. so I kind of estimate that the peep is centered.. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/guitar309/sitering.jpg

if this pic works its basicly what I am seeing.. if the red ring was the site ring and the blue was my peep... so what I was asking is .... would it be better to have a larger peep so it would be reversed and I could see the site ring inside.. because right now I am just guessing that the peep and site ring are equal...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/guitar309/peep.jpg

this is what I am seeing now...

but wouldn't this be smarter...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/guitar309/correct.jpg

this way the blue ring is the site and the red is the peep.. then I can make sure the sight housing is centered to the peep.. ?

flytier17
03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I can't see the photos. My filterpak blocks photobucket and a lot of picture hosters. Can you put them up as attached thumbnails?

Alec

guitar309
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
ok I will try this... so in this image..

is basically what I am seeing... with the blue ring being my peep and I am trying to guess that it is centered in the sight...

so I am basically just seeing this... (the blue ring being just my peep) can't see the sight housing at all..

so I am just asking would it be better if I looked threw the peep and actually saw the housing of the sight.. that way I could make sure everything is centered..

like this pick.. now reviersed if the red was my peep and the blue was my sight.. it just seems easier to make sure that the peep is lined up when u can see the housing of the sight..

guitar309
03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I know its a stupid question.. but I figured someone could answer it! lol hello?? anyone out there?

flytier17
03-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Sorry, I must've missed your last post. Yes, your last diagram is desired. Thats my sight picture right there.

Alec

bfisher
03-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I finally took the time to see what was going on here. Alec answered it. I"ll expand a little. YES, you should get a larger peep. You can use one of several. G5 Meta peep comes in sizes up to 5/16". Fletcher goes as large as 1/4" to my knowledge. You can always try a Specialty ball peep which accepts different size threaded inserts. I've used them all or should I say USE them all and my choice would be the Fletcher simply due to the cost and the fact that they all do the same thing.

Of course all the info you are getting assumes you are not using a peep with a tube aligner. If you are then you need to just get a larger one.

It's hard to say which size you will need. Such things as draw length and how far the peep is from your eye, and the distance between the peep and the sight all have a bearing on which size to use. You really need to go to the shop and try them on for size. However, being as your eye will almost always want to center in the peep this is one of those cases where bigger can be better. You may lose a bit of accuracy by having one too large, but not as much as some may think. You just have to play around with getting it to the height that allows you to anchor and shoot in a consistent manner.