PDA

View Full Version : Cracks - What are they

dougkellermann
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
any ideas on what type of crackes these are and what caused them?

thanks
Doug

flytier17
03-15-2009, 03:54 PM
From the looks of it, it goes right through the limb. But if that were the case, I'd think the limb would not hold together. Maybe not, I don't know for sure. Is there any way of determining how deep the crack runs? It could be a crack in the camo dip finish too. Have you noticed a oise like grating or fine crackling when you draw? Don't draw the bow now to check though; I don't want you to get hurt if it blows up on you. I wouldn't draw it until the crack is fully assessed.

Alec

joelc
03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey Doug...sorry if our phone conversation got cut off. As I started to explain, those are absolutely, without question the camo pattern and not cracks in the limb. The top photo shows the pattern wrapping over itself and the bottom photo shows a slight wrinkle. You should have no worries shooting that bow.

dougkellermann
03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Joel
thanks!!! Those dang phones...

I saw one other crack which also appears to be in the camo, can you verify?

joelc
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Joel
thanks!!! Those dang phones...

I saw one other crack which also appears to be in the camo, can you verify?

Yup...same thing. Just the film dip :)

dougkellermann
03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks Joel!

I have made a mental note to my self about the next Martin bow I purchase. No Camo...:eek:

flytier17
03-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm glad you have this resolved. Enjoy shooting!

Alec

bfisher
03-16-2009, 11:15 AM
WOW, JoelC jumps in to save the day. Don't see him here that often.

I was going to mention the film dip. Not always, but more often than not any cracks in the limb itself would show themselves to be longitudinal, meaning they follow the length of the limb.

I've seen enough of these on my own bows and checked them out, and yeah, just the film dip. Of course, I don't puch the limits all that often to destroy limbs. The days of chasing speed are over.

dougkellermann
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Its because of Joel that I am only purchasing Martin Bows. ;)

Oh yeah the bows are great too. :p