PDA

View Full Version : Pro Series vs Gold Series

dougkellermann
03-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I have wondered what is the product difference between the Pro Series vs the Gold Series. Does anyone know?

thanks
Doug

flytier17
03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
The ProSeries involves the best of the Martin technology. For instance, the CCS and STS are standard, the grips are better quality, the VEM's are weighted, etc...

The Gold series can be found in a lot of big stores like Cabelas, Dicks, and BassPro. However, Martin has limited the ProSeries to the Martin Pro Shops, where they can be sold only by people who know martins and can provide proper technical know-how on a Martin. Its kind of like Martins way of controlling the quality of their better bows; making sure people have a good experience with them, and still making bows that can be purchased at a low cost in high volumes.

Sometimes, the same bow can be switched between the 2 series. I think the Cougar was a ProSeries bow that ended up in the Gold series because of its popularity with the general hunting public, and the need to get more available. The Saber was once a proSeries bow, but it is most definetly martins "budget bow", and not a highend performance bow like the rest of the PorSeries. Why, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure in 2007 it was listed as a ProSeries bow.

Alec

dougkellermann
03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Alec thanks!

JT38off
03-17-2009, 10:09 PM
for the money, i'd go PRO series. the price difference is small but the advanteges are greater. and for those that are weaker in confidence, the pro series might give you a psychological edge. for example, a wrist sling. i put one on this week and for some reason my groups are now inside 2"s at 25 yds. havent tried further back yet, but i will to 60 yds hopefully soon. my bottom line is that i was gonna go w/ the gold series monster buck hunter but went w/ the moab instead and im happy>>>

flytier17
03-18-2009, 07:52 AM
I'll second that. For the money, the ProSeries is the way to go if you can find a local dealer.

The Gold sereis is not all lesser quality bows though. Look at the Mystic, Cougar IV, etc... Martin always has a top-end spots bow in the Gold lineup, but that bow will outperform some of the ProSeries bows in performance and quality of build and design.

I look at the quality of build and features in the design to shoose a bow. But, there is better support and service for a ProSeries bow.

flytier17
03-18-2009, 07:59 AM
for the money, i'd go PRO series. the price difference is small but the advanteges are greater. and for those that are weaker in confidence, the pro series might give you a psychological edge. for example, a wrist sling. i put one on this week and for some reason my groups are now inside 2"s at 25 yds. havent tried further back yet, but i will to 60 yds hopefully soon. my bottom line is that i was gonna go w/ the gold series monster buck hunter but went w/ the moab instead and im happy>>>

That wrist sling may not be all psycological actually. As strange as it seems, it helped my form immensly.

I am naturally a very high wrist shooter. This is the hardest position to achieve consistency in gripping your bow. But, my natural tendancy was high wrist. I soled that. I put a wrist sling on, and made it snug for the high wrist position. Every time my wrist rose, it felt the sling, and remimnded me to keep it down. It was not so tight as to force my hand into the right position, but it did remind me if you will. Now, I have a natural tendancy to keep my hand against the grip the whole way down, and seat the grip sirmly in the heel and palm of my hand. My torque went down, and my groups shrunk like magic. I fact, the 4th day after adapting to this new grip, I shot my first 40yd. robinhood in a 3" group! hat was back when I was not smart enough to shoot seperate spots at any range.

Alec