PDA

View Full Version : Wildman VS. Sof Loc

whitetailfreak86
03-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Just lookin at a new quiver for the new firecat. Used the treelimb quiver last year enjoyed it but want to get away from the slide style quick release. Lookin at either the wildman fast four which looks freakin sweet and the Alpine sof loc 5 arrow quiver just wonderin if anyone has any info on this. Preferably those who own one or both and if you know anyone who has one and wat they think. Are they quiet, which one more, and are they easily disconnected? I mostly shoot with the quiver off the bow except for groundhogs. How do they balance the bow and anyone know the weight of the wildman?

P.S. just wonderin how long it will take for alec to post hehe i kid bud u just seem to post first on all threads and u know alot and if not u b.s. enuf to fool me haha:p

bfisher
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I'll try to type fast so I get in ahead of Alec. Here goes.

bfisher
03-19-2009, 07:49 PM
OK, now that I have that out of the way I might try to show a little intelligence. I have used (still own) an Alpine SoftLoc, although mine was the 3 arrow version. It's a good unit, locks in the mount solidly enough. My only real gripe is that the mount itself is pretty bulky and shows to be just a bit on the ugly side without a quiver attached.

I haven't used any of the Martin quivers yet although I got a new Wildman 5 arrow this year for my Moab. This will be a new venture for me because, like you, I rarely shoot with a quiver on. The Wildman 5 is a two piece unit so will stay on the bow during hunting season. Because I try to keep weight down I'll only be carrying three arrows, which is all I've ever needed. This quiver will allow me to spread them out so the feathers don't make a bunch of noise.

If for some reason I don't like it or it throws off the balance too much I'll just go back to my little Qwikie arrow and take it off when treestand hunting, just like I've done for the last ten years.

That's about all I can say right now. Maybe I can bust Alec's chops when he gets on here. Hope this helped a bit.

whitetailfreak86
03-19-2009, 07:53 PM
I really like how the 2 piece wildman looks on a bow and was quite intriqued by it the offset makes it seem like it would do wonders to balance out the bow, althought the firecat is quite balanced. So fisher let me know what you think when u get it on, i.e. weight, balance and overall performance and yes u beat alec im impressed haha

whitetailfreak86
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I was talkin bout the 2x4 being offset and lookin sweet sure the others do to but just wonderin which one u were gettin?

bfisher
03-19-2009, 08:18 PM
There are a couple reasons I chose the Wildman 5. Three arrows and lots of room is one, as I said. I liked the contour of the hood too. Just looks a little more streamlined. And because I have an HHA adjustable sight I would have to use those 3/4" stand-offs to mount a one piece, throwing the center of gravity further from the bow.

Maybe in the next couple days I'll throw it on the bow and see how it feels. To shoot the bow I have to set it up again. I swapped out cams with my ShadowCat and the swap isn't going to work so I gotta change cams again.

I'll get back to you on it so check back early next week. Bug me if I forget.

Barry

brushrat
03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Just lookin at a new quiver for the new firecat. Used the treelimb quiver last year enjoyed it but want to get away from the slide style quick release. Lookin at either the wildman fast four which looks freakin sweet and the Alpine sof loc 5 arrow quiver just wonderin if anyone has any info on this. Preferably those who own one or both and if you know anyone who has one and wat they think. Are they quiet, which one more, and are they easily disconnected? I mostly shoot with the quiver off the bow except for groundhogs. How do they balance the bow and anyone know the weight of the wildman?

P.S. just wonderin how long it will take for alec to post hehe i kid bud u just seem to post first on all threads and u know alot and if not u b.s. enuf to fool me haha:p

don't know anything about the wildman. There are a couple things that are minor ,but still mentionable about the alpine. I have the sof lock 3 also. The hood is quite small and the sides are angled up, so you have to line 2 of your your 3-fixed blades with 2blades down and 1 up to get them all the way into the hood. The 3rd arrow goes in the with the blades opposit of the outside 2. Don't know if 4 blade broadheads would even fit in it un less they are small. Getting arrows out it's fine, and thats really the most important part. The other thing is ,it is a little heavy , i think for a 3 blade quiver. Not excessively so,but a little. :)

bfisher
03-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I guess I should have mentioned that, but I haven't used mine for a couple years so I forgot. Yes, blades have atendency to touch each other at the outer edges. You really have to be picky how you put the arrows in the quiver. Correspondingly it like that at the fletch end, too, so if you shoot feathers most lkely they'll touch each other.

As for weight, it's a little heavier than most 3 arrows, but it's the mount that's heavy. And that's on the bow even when the quiver is removed.

I want to thank brushrat for his explanation.

flytier17
03-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I'll try to type fast so I get in ahead of Alec. Here goes.

No fair! I was away! What have you got against my opinion on the quivers anyways. Thats it. I'm giving you an infraction.

flytier17
03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a Kwikee and like it. I have the fast 4 2piece, and also like it.

I do not like the alpines because of the foam in the hood. it squeals against the blade of the BH. At least my Mongoose did.

I got the Fast 4 because I wanted a martin Quiver for my martin bow. Turns out, it is one of the nicest I've had. the rubber won't get punctured by the BH. It is quiet and firm, with a solid mount. A bit heavy, but tha again, so is my entire bow at 9.2lbs.

I only carry 3 because the fourtharrow buzzes abagint the lockdown know on my Hogg-It. My kwikee-3 only holds 3 anyways.

During turkey season, I can reverse the fast4 to have the hood at the bottom of the bow. this lets me keep the nocks out of the dirt when I put the bow in a bracket in a blind.

Alec

OK, now that I have that out of the way I might try to show a little intelligence. I have used (still own) an Alpine SoftLoc, although mine was the 3 arrow version. It's a good unit, locks in the mount solidly enough. My only real gripe is that the mount itself is pretty bulky and shows to be just a bit on the ugly side without a quiver attached.

I haven't used any of the Martin quivers yet although I got a new Wildman 5 arrow this year for my Moab. This will be a new venture for me because, like you, I rarely shoot with a quiver on. The Wildman 5 is a two piece unit so will stay on the bow during hunting season. Because I try to keep weight down I'll only be carrying three arrows, which is all I've ever needed. This quiver will allow me to spread them out so the feathers don't make a bunch of noise.

If for some reason I don't like it or it throws off the balance too much I'll just go back to my little Qwikie arrow and take it off when treestand hunting, just like I've done for the last ten years.

That's about all I can say right now. Maybe I can bust Alec's chops when he gets on here. Hope this helped a bit.

flytier17
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Those B cams don't work? Hooray! You can sell them to me!

Alec

There are a couple reasons I chose the Wildman 5. Three arrows and lots of room is one, as I said. I liked the contour of the hood too. Just looks a little more streamlined. And because I have an HHA adjustable sight I would have to use those 3/4" stand-offs to mount a one piece, throwing the center of gravity further from the bow.

Maybe in the next couple days I'll throw it on the bow and see how it feels. To shoot the bow I have to set it up again. I swapped out cams with my ShadowCat and the swap isn't going to work so I gotta change cams again.

I'll get back to you on it so check back early next week. Bug me if I forget.

Barry

flytier17
03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
don't know anything about the wildman. There are a couple things that are minor ,but still mentionable about the alpine. I have the sof lock 3 also. The hood is quite small and the sides are angled up, so you have to line 2 of your your 3-fixed blades with 2blades down and 1 up to get them all the way into the hood. The 3rd arrow goes in the with the blades opposit of the outside 2. Don't know if 4 blade broadheads would even fit in it un less they are small. Getting arrows out it's fine, and thats really the most important part. The other thing is ,it is a little heavy , i think for a 3 blade quiver. Not excessively so,but a little. :)

BTW, I shoot 4 blade Slick Trick Mags, and they fit fine in the Fast4 and the Kwikee.

Alec

Desmond
03-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Alec,

What's your draw length and do you have your Wildman's on your Slayer?

'Cause I just got my 2X4 yesterday and mount it on my Slayer and noticed that if you're 29" of DL the field point's or BH won't reach the rubber in the hood. #30" arrows will. I'll post pic of this and more on another thread , I'm just waiting for my pics to download from my cell.

flytier17
03-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I draw 30", so the bow is set @ 29.5" and I have a loop.

That could change as I am still growing. I was 29.5" last September. Now, i'm 30", and my hunting arrows are too short.

heres what to do.

Flip the lower arrow holder backwards (the rubber part), and mount it upside down on the bottom of the bow. Not, clip your arrow into that behind the fletches. Should work for an arrow 27.25"-27.75" depending on the length of vane, and where the fletching starts.

Alec

Desmond
03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I draw 30", so the bow is set @ 29.5" and I have a loop.

Flip the lower arrow holder backwards (the rubber part), and mount it upside down on the bottom of the bow. Now, clip your arrow into that behind the fletches.

Alec

Thanks for the tip!
I actually turn the whole piece around and upward and it works perfect!!

Thanks again!!

Before:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/Photo0001-2.jpg

After

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/Photo0003.jpg

bfisher
03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I changed the cams around on the Moab. Took all of 20 minutes. Then mounted the quiver just to see how it fits. Quite a bit of adjustment to it. I was surprised. My arrows are 27" so I had to flip the arrow holder as you guys have. I was going to mention it, but that darn Alec beat me to it.

Alec, the B Cams fit OK. I had it all set up just the way IU wanted with the X system and all. Problem is I couldn't get one of the screws loose that hold the CCS to the riser and my cables would have whacked it pretty hard. I tried everything short of using heat on the riser, which isn't going to happen.

I'm not ready to part with the cams as of yet, but if I do decide to sell them or something you'll get first divies.

Desmond
03-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I have a Kwikee and like it. I have the fast 4 2piece, and also like it.

I got the Fast 4 because I wanted a martin Quiver for my martin bow. Turns out, it is one of the nicest I've had. the rubber won't get punctured by the BH. It is quiet and firm, with a solid mount.

Alec

Ditto!! :cool: It is solid and I like the VEM on it too. No sound at all.

I also want to add that if your a left hand shooter, the quiver (2X4) will set up towards the front of the bow, different from a right handed on which I assume it will be aligned on the the side of the riser. I also had to move my sight back so the arrow in front of it won't be against it.I shot about a dozen times and felt like in fact affects my center of gravity a bit. I'll shoot it for a while and see if I get used to it. If not I'll mount it on my son's new bow.

Here's a picture of my L/H SLAYER with it so you can see what I mean:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/GILB8/k-2-1.jpg

flytier17
03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Nope, that can be solved too.

There is a screw in the back of the hood. Undo it. Now, the hood pulls free. Turn it around, and when you mount it on your bow, it will point the right way. You'll have to do the same on the bottom of the quiver too.

Alec

Desmond
03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Nope, that can be solved too.

There is a screw in the back of the hood. Undo it. Now, the hood pulls free. Turn it around, and when you mount it on your bow, it will point the right way. You'll have to do the same on the bottom of the quiver too.

Alec

What?? :eek: You got to be kidding me!! :o Thanks, I'll try that!

You know, it would've been really nice if Wildman Co printed them instructions for the lefty shooters that buy this product. I bet some had returned this quiver 'cause they couldn't figure it out and some would've ended using the way I have it now,..... I was ! :rolleyes: :D

whitetailfreak86
03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
goin with the wildman fast four for the best price ive found anywhere. If anyone knows where to get it cheaper let me know thanx and thanx to all who put there info in.

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/martin-wildman-arrow-quiver-p-9528.html?osCsid=diq0ubectd0e37l3sai4kiem50

Desmond
03-21-2009, 07:10 PM
If anyone knows where to get it cheaper let me know thanx and thanx to all who put there info in.

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/martin-wildman-arrow-quiver-p-9528.html?osCsid=diq0ubectd0e37l3sai4kiem50

Here:

http://www.perfectarrow.com/index.cgi?cart_id=1237684400.7352&pid=90

The image is from the original (old) style Martin quiver. But it is in fact the fast 4.