PDA

View Full Version : Should I REALLY Buy a Martin?

04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I have been seriously considering a new bow this spring. Very high on my list of "to be shot" bows are the Firecat and Warthog. And if I could find an Alien-X, I'd shoot that one too.

But here lately on this site, AT and a few other "sources", I have started to really notice issues with limb cracks, limbs rubbing/creaking in their pockets, sharp-edged cams wearing/cutting strings/cables, etc., etc. Now I FULLY realize EVERY manufacturer has it share of issues and not to expect perfection from any of them. So, since I'd have to drive nearly an hour one-way to my closest Pro Series Martin dealer and they typically don't stock Martins, I'd really be placing my "faith" in getting a good bow delivered.

I guess, like most consumers, I want a trouble-free ownership experience. And now I'm just a little leary. So someone, reassure me that my $500-$700 for a new Martin or Rytera will be money well spent. If I had a dealer closer to me I might not even be posting this thread but............... And are these issues I mentioned more prevelant of the first few "runs" of the updated 2009 Firecats?

Thanks in advance.

SandSquid
04-07-2009, 08:06 PM
If you actually shoot a Warthog your will be forever aflicted until you own one.
Ohh, BTW, this is coming from the guy w/ the limbs rubbing in the pockets on the brand new Mystic. :o

razorjack
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I have a 08 cheetah that im very happy with,the only real issue i had with it so far was crappy strings and cables,other than that it's a great bow.
One thing to remember the people on these sites that have problem's are just a few at best,do you know how many bows martin puts out and only a hand ful have problems.That's pretty low number's......I think you have nothing to worry about in getting a martin bow..:)

alex
04-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Yes, you should, but i'd offer you a 2008 model.I don't like this CCS and have a feeling that it causes some of the troubles about which people are complaining.Also the company obviously has a lot of customers for 2009 bows and is in a hurry and this affects the quality, i guess...And i'll add that my 08'MOAB is awsome! ;)

04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I appreciate the replies guys. And Sandsquid, your post about the limbs rubbing was one that I had in mind last night while typing. I just know right now that finding a dealer that'll have a Firecat or Warthog in stock is gonna take some doing. I like the longer ATA of the 'Hog and am wondering if that'll help out with its short brace height.

I'd be shooting 29" draw with a 400-405 grain arrow in the mid-60 lbs range...maybe almost 70 lbs. I'd be very curious to know what kinda speeds to expect with that setup with the 'Cat and the 'Hog.

And like "alex" stated, I'm not sure if the "rush" to increase production has affected quality control and if the CSS on the 'Cat is causing some of its issues.

BOWPRK
04-08-2009, 12:04 PM
1829 my cat is shooting 290 at 27.5inch draw 70pound draw weight arrow weight is 423grains with a inch an a half longer draw an less arrow weight she will zing em

04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
1829 my cat is shooting 290 at 27.5inch draw 70pound draw weight arrow weight is 423grains with a inch an a half longer draw an less arrow weight she will zing em

Wow that is cruisin'!!!! I never envisioned it being that fast. And the 'Hog should be even faster too.

BOWPRK......we're almost neighbors if not for the Bay being between us LOL!!!

BOWPRK
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
1829 it just sruck me you are on MW.com.....Jump on a boat an cross the bay you can shoot my FirecatLOL

SandSquid
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Our local shooter w/ a WartHog had to back it off almost 10# to get under the 280 F.P.S. Maximum for NFAA Nationals.

eldermike
04-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I purchased a new 08 firecat last month, they are still out there if you look. But I would have purchased an 09 if I had not found one. That makes 3 Martins for me. I love the idea that Martin would have the few issues they do have out here for everyone to see, that speaks highly for them IMHO. I will be getting an 09 later this year as soon as I decide between the two target models.

moab54
11-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I have shot a MARTIN cougar magnum III for 6 years. After 35 years of shooting bows I found it to be the best.
I just bought a 09 Moab. The Helix string they come with is crap,but so are a lot of other strings on bows off the shelf. After a new vapor trail string it is shooting terrific.
I refuse to shoot a peep with a condom attached to the bow and a good string elimates the need for it. My peep with the new vapor trial comes up perfect every time.
The Moab shoots as well as my old Cougar now that I have had it worked over. The idler wheel on it was razor sharp and had to be buffed down as not to wear the string in a couple of weeks. This with halo protective wraps has made this a great shooting bow.
All in all I still am a Martin fan but here in Minnesota they are as scarce as hens teeth. High five archery did a great job of getting my Moab shooting like it should.

flytier17
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Martin makes a top-notch bow, and they will back their product up fully. 08 firecats had a few problems with the limbs; more than usual i'd say, but since 09, its been fixed. The 09's are fantastic, as are the Warthogs and the rest of the CAT-cammed 09's.

The 2010 linup has the new CAT2 Cam on the Warthog, with an offset cabletrack, so serving rubbing is eliminated. Some people that really rotated the cable guard away from the bow had problems with the original CAT cams, but the CAT2 cam has fixed this for even the most rotated guards.

In the off chance a bow with a defect is shipped to you, Martin will take care of you fully. They have one of the best customer service departments in the bow industry, and will not hesitate to make you satisfied as promptly as possible.

I have no problem reccomending Martins to anyone looking for a top-end bow, even those who are concerned about defects. I would honestly say you have no more of a chance of getting a bad bow than if you went with any other big brand out there.

I have a Slayer with a warped riser I am dealing with now. This is almost unheard of with Slayers, being the advanced 1 piece riser that they are. its a one in a thousand defect; I just happen to be stuck with it. So far, Martin has been very helpful. They will replace my Slayer with a brand new Warthog if i so desire, or possibly give me a leftover overstock riser from last year. I just am waiting to find out if they have any overstock risers left, as i really like my Slayer, and don't want to have to replace it with anything else, even something as good as the Warthog.

Alec

moab54
11-10-2009, 05:44 AM
One thing for sure is Martin makes a top notch bow. I work for a small family business and this is one of the reasons I support Martin as they still are a family business. Their support and bows are some of the best in the industry.
Now that my Moab is tweaked it groups like crazy and shoots a 28.5 inch arrow 8.9 gr per inch at around 270 fPS.
Technology is wonderful!!!!

Anton Meyer
11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi my Friend a MARTIN is one of the most user frendly Bows I ever shot You dont need a Bow press to work on Youre Bow :D Greetings Anton Meyer SOUTH-AFRICA

290is
11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
check-out my warthog on ebay. "Martin Warthog" I like to way it shoot, just a little long for my frame.....