PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Shooting Little Moab

little_john
04-09-2009, 06:54 PM
After a few days of trials and tribulations with tuning and other issues, my new Moab has settled down into a completely different beast.

She is now a sweet shooting little Moab! Now that all the problems and issues have been resolved, she is demonstrating wonderful consistency and accuracy to test my shooting abilities!
Had a 35 yard robin hood yesterday with my first two arrows at that range
( talk about divine intervention ).

But I seem to have another problem.
At 35 yards my groups are 2 inches in the vertical, but more like 4 or 5 inches horizontally. Realize this is a new bow, and I am just learning to shoot it, but I am REALLY working on getting my grip right. I find the tiny grip on the bow is very different from what I am used to - I have large hands as well.
I am thinking about finding a wrap or something to slightly increase the grip diameter. I can see that carrying the bow around all day my hand might have a tendency to cramp due to the small grip size (no problem with my old bow).

I was also wondering how important a stabilizer was - which type might be most effective and whether if I just continue to practice the need for one might diminish.

Any input would be most appreciated, Lil_john

jbowers12
04-09-2009, 08:35 PM
You can buy the limbsaver grib wrap. It is suppose to limit vibration at the same time. It will probably thicken the handle the way you want it. I use the S-coil limbsaver stablizer. It also take down vibration and noise some.;)

JT38off
04-13-2009, 08:58 PM
great post little john and congrats on your robinhood, i witnessed my buddies about a month ago and it was awesome.. as far as your horizontal groups it sounds like you might have some bow torque from your grip. you stated that you actually grip your bow when you shoot. i did the same thing w/ my 09 moab and tried various other forms of gripping the bow and i found that for me the best way to shoot this bow consistent (again this is for my form) was to not grip the bow at all. at full draw my thumb and all four fingers are loose, they are not pointing straight at the target but slightly bent and i dont grip the bow until the arrow hits the target literally. also my left elbow is slightly bent to avoid string rash. its comfortable for me and the bow shoots consistent for me.

this may work for you as well if so the diameter does not come into play. but everyones form,style etc. is different, its just what ever works for you that matters. as far as the stabilizer, i use the limbsaver s coil as a noise reducer. i cant really tell any differece in how the bow shoots w/ it but its quieter. hope this helps..

Crazy_Boxer
04-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Stabilizers are very important. Take a look at Postens and B-Stingers. I recently bought a 8" Posten Woodsman and that has helped alot too.

Most importantly though is form. Are you familiar with archerytalk.com ??? They have alot of good information on form and grip. As stated above gripping the bow tight will cause torque problems. I hold the bow with my thumb and index finger touching and my other three fingers are curled in towards my palm not touching the bow.

Good luck !!!

JT38off
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
hey boxer, sorry for the late reply, been busy at work but yes i do use a peep, 3/16" one in fact and no kisser. i tried the thumb and index touch as you do and for me i found that i gripped the bow too quickly during the shot causing some torque so i ended up with the u shaped grip and that seems to work, but again its whatever works for you...good shootin!!

little_john
04-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, she was shooting sweet for a few days anyway.

Bought this bow new, had her tuned and practiced for 5 days until she ate up the cable on a sharp cam edge.

Only took 12 days to get the parts to have her fixed.
The replacement part had the same problem, so we modified the original cam with file and emery cloth. Joel also included a 1/2"shorter cable, evidently hoping to eliminate the problem.
At this point she was shooting MUCH better than new.

Just 6 days of practice later she has eaten up the cable again, this time on the idler wheel. Talk about frustrating, I should be hunting today.
I guess turkey season is going to pass me by!

From what I have been gathering from this website, it seems as if a lot of people with the longer draw length setups are having the same problems.
Maybe this design can't really handle the longer 31" draw without problems.

I need a bow I can shoot for more than a few days without having serviced or replacing the cables and/or strings.

Is there anybody out there shooting the Moab with a 31" draw and not having the problems I am?

Thanks for all your valued input, Little_john

Crazy_Boxer
04-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Well, she was shooting sweet for a few days anyway.

Bought this bow new, had her tuned and practiced for 5 days until she ate up the cable on a sharp cam edge.

Only took 12 days to get the parts to have her fixed.
The replacement part had the same problem, so we modified the original cam with file and emery cloth. Joel also included a 1/2"shorter cable, evidently hoping to eliminate the problem.
At this point she was shooting MUCH better than new.

Just 6 days of practice later she has eaten up the cable again, this time on the idler wheel. Talk about frustrating, I should be hunting today.
I guess turkey season is going to pass me by!

From what I have been gathering from this website, it seems as if a lot of people with the longer draw length setups are having the same problems.
Maybe this design can't really handle the longer 31" draw without problems.

I need a bow I can shoot for more than a few days without having serviced or replacing the cables and/or strings.

Is there anybody out there shooting the Moab with a 31" draw and not having the problems I am?

Thanks for all your valued input, Little_john

Same problem here. My 09 MOAB eats strings and servings like crazy. I'm at 30" draw length. The bow is only 7 weeks old, I've replaced the string once and had it reserved in problem areas. So far I've had the serving around the idler wheel redone three times. I can shoot the bow but I'm not comfortable at all shooting and i'm getting terrible peep rotation from this. I think it's time to get out of this bow and move on, I can't deal with reserving everyother week.

flytier17
04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
I'd reduce the grip by removing it, and shooting off the risder. A large grip is easier to torque, as is a grippy one. Smooth and slim is the most desireable.

Alec