PDA

View Full Version : 08 firecat,change the bowstring,how to?

chola
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Does anybody know where I could find a step by step instructions on how to change the bow strings.
I bought a "like new" used one,and need/want to change the string...just a piece of mind..should I change the cables as well...it didn't come with a manual,that and we have no archery shops around:(

The bow has had 100 shots through it and it looks fantastic,but I know looks are/can be deceiving(sp?).....anything else I should be aware of,like cracking limbs...according to the previous owner,he bought it in the fall of last year,shot through the winter a bit and then never used it again...he went back shooting recurves...It has never been dry fired,but I cannot say for sure. I don't want to draw it back and have a limb rip my face off.

Thanks for any help and advice:cool:

Bob

eldermike
04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
The manual would not help you with regard to changing strings. Even though it's easy to change strings on a Martin (you don't need a bow press) it's still something you should leave to a bowtech IMHO. At least until you know what you are doing, for sure.

I put 100 shots on a string every time I shoot one of my bows, 100 shots is not much use for a bow string. If the servings are in good shape and you don't see any string damage, like broken strands, I would shoot it. Just my opinion.

chola
04-20-2009, 02:05 PM
The manual would not help you with regard to changing strings. Even though it's easy to change strings on a Martin (you don't need a bow press) it's still something you should leave to a bowtech IMHO. At least until you know what you are doing, for sure.

I put 100 shots on a string every time I shoot one of my bows, 100 shots is not much use for a bow string. If the servings are in good shape and you don't see any string damage, like broken strands, I would shoot it. Just my opinion.

That's what I see, broken strands....or frayed anyway....I can change and then find a bowtech to look it over for me...no better way to learn than doing ones self I figured...thanks for the advice though.;)

alex
04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Chola, you can try bowtuningtips.com .There are some quite useful videos which can help you, including string change.

chola
04-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Chola, you can try bowtuningtips.com .There are some quite useful videos which can help you, including string change.

Great...thanks very much Alex...just what I was hoping for:D

flytier17
04-21-2009, 05:06 PM
If youhave a press, and know how to use it, it is no problem.

Alec