PDA

View Full Version : Bow string wax?

flintforever
04-24-2009, 06:19 AM
I see beewax is also used for string waxing but beeswax by itself is a little to hard I wonder if you cut it : say with ( lard) 60/40 will it harm the bow string?
I was thinking also mixing it with some olive oil of a small flame and let cool?

SandSquid
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I see beewax is also used for string waxing but beeswax by itself is a little to hard I wonder if you cut it : say with ( lard) 60/40 will it harm the bow string?
I was thinking also mixing it with some olive oil of a small flame and let cool?

That is a fire waiting to happen, I would not consider doing it in anything other than a "double boiler" . I cut mine w/ some gum turpentine and some rosin.

That being said, I would not use it on "modern" strings made from 8125 or 452x, etc. I much prefer the synthetic waxes. On a historically accurate period bow using waxed linen sure, on B-50/D-500 maybe.

If you want to be really frugal, go to the hardware store and get a toilet seal wax ring (goes between the fixture and the flange in the floor.) It is a synthetic micro-crystalline wax and you get about a pound for a few dollars.