PDA

View Full Version : X200 stacking

damascusdave
04-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I am finally getting around to shooting traditional which I should have done when my eyesight started to change about ten years ago. I do not want to spend a ton of money initially and have pretty much settled on the X200 as my bow of choice. I have had my draw length measured (with a 45 lb Hatfield Takedown and using a closed stance, index finger in the corner of my mouth) at 29 7/8 inches. As much as I would love to buy the takedown a world of financial considerations mean that all I can afford is the X200.

My question then is whether anyone is shooting an X200 at about a 30 inch draw length and is stacking an issue?

Also I have a chance to buy a brand new X200 which the dealer says is much nicer looking than the current production run. Since it is a mail order situation I cannot actually see the bow. How long ago did Martin start building X200's with the birch laminate risers with a kind of greenish tone?

deanrm
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Martin has been building the latest style (green laminated birch riser) of X-200's for two years now (2008 and 2009). One of the key advantages to the new model is the ability to handle a Fast Flight string. This will get you 5-10fps over dacron.

The new model is thinner through the riser, and the handle is also thiner. I really like the thin handle.

As far as stacking, it won't be as smooth as the Hatfield that you have been shooting at 30", but it won't be bad. The longer lenght bow helps for longer draw lengths, and also helps with finger pinch.

I have both the older X-200 and the newer one, and I really like them. You might want to consider looking at a Hunter, as they are 62". Either way, you can't go wrong with a Martin/Howatt!

Good Luck!
Dean

damascusdave
04-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Thank you for information based on actual experience with the bows rather than just theoretical speculation.

I have a Martin dealer (old archery buddy who I just reconnected with) who is getting me a price on a Hunter.

On the other hand there is a 66 inch Damon Howatt Ventura that just came up on eBay and I could shoot the same 1916 arrows I use for my Ben Pearson target bow. There is an article about that bow on this website and it certainly seems like a good way to go for a longish draw shooter who is new to traditional archery.

Martin has been building the latest style (green laminated birch riser) of X-200's for two years now (2008 and 2009). One of the key advantages to the new model is the ability to handle a Fast Flight string. This will get you 5-10fps over dacron.

The new model is thinner through the riser, and the handle is also thiner. I really like the thin handle.

As far as stacking, it won't be as smooth as the Hatfield that you have been shooting at 30", but it won't be bad. The longer lenght bow helps for longer draw lengths, and also helps with finger pinch.

I have both the older X-200 and the newer one, and I really like them. You might want to consider looking at a Hunter, as they are 62". Either way, you can't go wrong with a Martin/Howatt!

Good Luck!
Dean

deanrm
04-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Dave,

I do not know anything about the Ventura, but if I were to guess, I would think it would be a great bow for you, espically with your longer draw length.

One of the things that I look for is how comfortable the grip is in your hand, and if you will get a repeatable grip every time you shoot it.

As far as draw weight is concerned, I would definately tend to error on the light side. If the bow is heavy, you may develop bad habits, and might not enjoy shooting it. I would get a light bow, 35-40 lbs at your draw length, learn to shoot it well, and then you could always get a heavier one later.

Another nice Martin/Howatt bow that seems to stack less than others of comparible length, is the Serengeti. It is a very nice bow.

If you have any other questions about recent Martin/Howatts, feel free to ask. I have most of the models.

Good luck!
Dean

damascusdave
04-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Dave,

I do not know anything about the Ventura, but if I were to guess, I would think it would be a great bow for you, espically with your longer draw length.

One of the things that I look for is how comfortable the grip is in your hand, and if you will get a repeatable grip every time you shoot it.

As far as draw weight is concerned, I would definately tend to error on the light side. If the bow is heavy, you may develop bad habits, and might not enjoy shooting it. I would get a light bow, 35-40 lbs at your draw length, learn to shoot it well, and then you could always get a heavier one later.

Another nice Martin/Howatt bow that seems to stack less than others of comparible length, is the Serengeti. It is a very nice bow.

If you have any other questions about recent Martin/Howatts, feel free to ask. I have most of the models.

Good luck!
Dean

Hey Dean, thanks for the tip on the Serengeti. Looks to me like they were only available for a while. There is a nice one for sale on another site for $300. Seems like a reasonable price. It is a 50 pounder and the bottom line is that I know what it will take to be able to shoot it, lots of stretches and strength exercise which I am willing to do for the added flatness of trajectory.

Where I live it will be no problem to shoot it every day to get into shape.

damascusdave
04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Dave,

Good luck!
Dean

Well I finally made up my mind when the fellow with the Ventura accepted my offer of 100 bucks to my door. Do not think I can go wrong at that price. If I am not totally happy with the grip area I will get out the rasp and the sandpaper and make it feel better.

The bow is nominally a 25 pounder which I am hoping will shoot for me at 30 or 31 pounds. That will mean my 1916 arrows should be spined perfectly. Just will need to have them refletched with feathers, or maybe I should just set up to fletch them myself.

One nice thing is that with an AMO length of 66 inches this bow should use the same length string as my Ben Pearson target bow. If I have 3 strings I will have one as a spare that will fit both bows.

As for further down the road I think I now have a new goal and that is a nice Serengeti. Of course what I need to do is find one of them that I can shoot just to be sure. On the other hand a Hatfield Take Down would be a lot handier for a gypsy kind of guy like me.

Anyway, Dean, thanks again for your input.

And if you are looking for a current Martin model to add to your collection let me know. The Hatfield Take Downs I am talking about are selling for right around 750 CAD which is not a whole lot more than 600 USD. Apparently the way that Martin markets their bows into Canada makes for a bit of a price advantage for us, which does not happen often.

deanrm
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Dave,

The Venture sounds like a perfect bow for your draw length. I do not know if you can use a Fast Flight type string with that bow, so you may wish to contact Martin if you are considering doing so. Usually, they would have to have the black reinforcing added to the tips and I don't know if the Ventura has that.

As far as the weight, when I hunt I usually use a 45# or 50# bow, but in the off-season, I usually shoot 35#-40# bows to keep the wear and tear on my shoulders to a minimum. I move up to the heavier bow about a month before the season. It's not so much the strength, but I think I have some arthrites in my shoulder and the heavier weight really bothers it. Plus, I really enjoy shooting the lighter weight. It will help you to improve your released as it is less forgiving.

I hope you really enjoy shooting your new bow!

Keep us posted!
Dean

deanrm
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Dave,

Here is a link to some info on your new bow:

http://www.martinarchery.com/mag/iadamon.html

Thanks,
Dean

damascusdave
05-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Dave,

Here is a link to some info on your new bow:

http://www.martinarchery.com/mag/iadamon.html

Thanks,
Dean

Hi Dean,

It was pretty much that article that decided me on the bow. Sent off my money today. Looking forward to having the bow before the end of the month. Canadian customs can sometimes hold things for a while to make you think they are actually doing something of value.

David

damascusdave
05-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Dave,

The Venture sounds like a perfect bow for your draw length. I do not know if you can use a Fast Flight type string with that bow, so you may wish to contact Martin if you are considering doing so. Usually, they would have to have the black reinforcing added to the tips and I don't know if the Ventura has that.

As far as the weight, when I hunt I usually use a 45# or 50# bow, but in the off-season, I usually shoot 35#-40# bows to keep the wear and tear on my shoulders to a minimum. I move up to the heavier bow about a month before the season. It's not so much the strength, but I think I have some arthrites in my shoulder and the heavier weight really bothers it. Plus, I really enjoy shooting the lighter weight. It will help you to improve your released as it is less forgiving.

I hope you really enjoy shooting your new bow!

Keep us posted!
Dean

I would not even consider a Fast Flight string for either bow. B50 will do the job for me until I have the desire for more speed (which we all have eventually). By then I will have moved on to something that is designed for FF.