PDA

View Full Version : Would like to invite everyone to see these pix

pragmatic_lee
05-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Jarlicker of the Durham County Wildlife Club (Research Triangle Park, NC) held a 2 day Archery Extravaganza the weekend of 5/02-5/03. There were numerous Martins on the range and a LOT got good times had by everyone.

Instead of posting the nearly 200 pix over here, I'd just like to invite everyone over to Archery Talk (AT) to view them.

Personally, I shot a new personal best on the Field/Hunter combination round. Up-ed my previous PB of 517 to a 522 - still got a ways to go to reach 560, but I'm trying. :)

BTW: A lot of these pix were taken by a young lady that was walking the course with me, ChopperSteve and her dad. I'm the guy in the black shorts and beige shirt shooting the left handed Martin S4.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=915170

BTW: This link points to all the "smack talk" that led up to the weekend.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=900617

alex
05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Nice pictures! :)

bfisher
05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Tell ya what, Lee. I used to shoot field and hunter rounds so I can relate. 560 might be a long time coming. That looks like one heck of a tough course. A lot of ugly uphill shots. That 522 might be a pretty good score under such circumstances. Good shooting. Looks like you all had a heck of a good time, too. That's what counts the most.

pragmatic_lee
05-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Nice pictures! :)

Thanks - I added several more pix on Tue, so check the thread out again if you'd like.

Tell ya what, Lee. I used to shoot field and hunter rounds so I can relate. 560 might be a long time coming. That looks like one heck of a tough course. A lot of ugly uphill shots. That 522 might be a pretty good score under such circumstances. Good shooting. Looks like you all had a heck of a good time, too. That's what counts the most.

The course record at DCWC is a 558 shot by Randy Hinkleman last year. For those not familiar with Randy, he is a Martin shooter and 2 time NFAA AMFS national champion in addition to being the 2008 NFAA Shooter of the Year. I was on the course that day with Randy. It was 103 degrees at the half way mark. He walked the course with his broken ankle in a cast. :eek:

My goal is to shoot a 530 this year on a course somewhere. :D

And yes everyone had a great time - in fact I'm not sure if anyone bothered to even turn in a score card. This was a weekend of just getting together with old friends, making new friends, and shooting a lot of arrows.

BTW: Several of the pix show folks "signing" the target. Jarlicker started a tradition that if you 4 Xed a target you could sign and date it.

bfisher
05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I'll tell you what. I shot field back in the mid to late 70's. As you can imagine, the equipment wasn't quite what it is today. My best year was 1979 (man, that looks weird) when I shot an average 533 during our leagues (6 Clubs) and placed 9th at our PSAA state chamionship shoot with a two day average of 525. That was a time when something in the low 540's could win. Not so today. It was also when there were noc classes for hookers. Pick up a release and it was "welcome to the big time".

Every once in a while I had the pleasure of shooting with Jack Cramer and Larry Wise. Now that was a tough duo. Jack won the World Fields in 1978, I think it was, posting scores in the 550's.

As happens to most of us, life's priorities change and I gave it up just when I was in my prime. Family comes first. I've never been able to get back the "drive" and now my body won't handle it any more. That doesn't mean I can't relate and enjoy what you have posted and enjoy the memories.

It's also nice to read something besides questions about broadheads and kinetic energy. Thanks for that.

The thing around here is 3D now. I'd love to see some of these youngsters shoot a field course with their 70# bows. See how long they last.

Barry

Montalaar
05-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Great pictures.

I just feel as if i need to go out and shoot some arrows. Too sad that it is raining....

pragmatic_lee
05-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Thread has been updated with even more pix including some of the Sat. night "activities". Those bbq pork chops and chicken breasts really filled an empty stomach after a full day of shooting.

Went back to DCWC yesterday afternoon to try and find some of the points I left over the weekend. Shot the worst 1/2 round I've shot all year. About half way through, I realized I was just "flinging" arrows and not really executing each and every shot. That's just one of the many things I like about Field archery - you got to make every shot count - there's no "making up" points later. :D